UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Time to Prep for Next Year

As fans and poster we are always looking a what players can physically bring to the table . I would be interesting to know what leadership these players show .I think at the QB position leadership , respect of players and coaches is just as important . Does anyone have any input on that

Those atributes are very very important and the main reason why Esposito was as succesful as he was. Same goes for Ryan Roeder back in the first few years of DI ball.

The one thing that may give Dilella an edge over Leathey is the time he has in the program. Dilella has a few more years with these guys and that could help. But then again, I believe Leathey came to UA before last spring and participated in Spring ball so he may not be that far behind.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leadership ability is vital.

Total confidence is vital.

With those qualities, he will get the respect of everyone.

Like df just said, espo had those qualities. Espo, I don't think, was a pure quarterback. With hard work and determination, he made himself alot better than maybe he should have even been. He believed he could get it done. Imagaine, with a qb with that confidence and attitude, with a better skill set?

We need a multi-dimensional quarterback.

But, most importantly, we need an EXCEPTIONAL passer at qb, with an equal running game somewhere.

If we get that in an ALL IN ONE deal with Smith, than great. But, if he's a mediocre

passer at best, then he's not our choice for qb. I think he'd turn out to be an explosive rb.

Smith is an exceptional running qb, but I know nothing about his pocket/passing ability.

That TD throw vs monmouth is the ONLY pass I remember him throwing. Yes, it is funny that

they didn't have him throwing.

Leadership ability is vital.

Total confidence is vital.

With those qualities, he will get the respect of everyone.

Like df just said, espo had those qualities. Espo, I don't think, was a pure quarterback. With hard work and determination, he made himself alot better than maybe he should have even been. He believed he could get it done. Imagaine, with a qb with that confidence and attitude, with a better skill set?

We need a multi-dimensional quarterback.

But, most importantly, we need an EXCEPTIONAL passer at qb, with an equal running game somewhere.

If we get that in an ALL IN ONE deal with Smith, than great. But, if he's a mediocre

passer at best, then he's not our choice for qb. I think he'd turn out to be an explosive rb.

Smith is an exceptional running qb, but I know nothing about his pocket/passing ability.

That TD throw vs monmouth is the ONLY pass I remember him throwing. Yes, it is funny that

they didn't have him throwing.

The positive side to all of this is it sounds like there will be some competition at this position making all of them work harder.in the off season and spring . I really think whom ever rises to the top will be farther ahead because of it

The positive side to all of this is it sounds like there will be some competition at this position making all of them work harder.in the off season and spring . I really think whom ever rises to the top will be farther ahead because of it

Agreed 100%.

That will likely be the case at a lot of positions, especially on defense. We'll get our first real chance next year to see some of these scholarship kids we've been recruiting for the last 2 years.

Well said gentlemen.

It would be a different story if we were still undefeated,

and shooting for another undefeated nec championship. It

would be hard NOT keeping those guys in to accomplish

another amazing goal.

But, the chance was there for those accomplishments and it just didn't materialize.

The seniors have been in EVERY game, and haven't been neglected.

There are no records to break, team wise or individual wise.

There's only one game left, and they should start...

but should give WAY to the future by the end of the 1st quarter.

For people who have posted so intelligently for so long, I cannot believe what I'm reading. But let me just make sure I have this straight....... Wagner beats RMU and CCSU beats Monmouth this week while we are on our Bye. Now comes the last week of the season and CCSU needs to beat SFPA and us to defeat Wagner to claim the NEC title outright. We start our regulars that have played all year including our seniors and go up 7 to 0 at the end of the first quarter. At the end of the first quarter, we pull out our seniors or at least many of them including Vinny and our running backs McCarty and Gannon and go to the younger guys that we are trying to get ready for next year. Things don't go well and the younger players while making some plays, also make too many mistakes and Wagner takes a 14 to 7 half time lead. Coach Ford addresses the team and assures everyone that while it is going to be tough to come back on Wagner in the second half, it is to the "benefit of the program" that we stay the course and give the inexperienced players the much needed playing time. The second half goes terribly bad for the Danes.... the defense actually stepped up but the offense turns the ball over 3 times that lead to Wagner scores on short drives. The final score Wagner 34 Albany 17. To make matters worse, SFPA upsets CCSU and Albany loses out on its chance to share in the NEC title. The TEAM and the seniors are heartbroken but all is O.K. because everyone understands that any success that comes along next year was only made possible by today's sacrifice. The coaching staff, by the way, spends much of the off season defending themselves to other coaches around the league, and ultimately they ask themselves this..... how would we feel if another team in the NEC did this to us?

Well said gentlemen.

another amazing goal.

But, the chance was there for those accomplishments and it just didn't materialize.

For people who have posted so intelligently for so long, I cannot believe what I'm reading. But let me just make sure I have this straight....... Wagner beats RMU and CCSU beats Monmouth this week while we are on our Bye. Now comes the last week of the season and CCSU needs to beat SFPA and us to defeat Wagner to claim the NEC title outright. We start our regulars that have played all year including our seniors and go up 7 to 0 at the end of the first quarter. At the end of the first quarter, we pull out our seniors or at least many of them including Vinny and our running backs McCarty and Gannon and go to the younger guys that we are trying to get ready for next year. Things don't go well and the younger players while making some plays, also make too many mistakes and Wagner takes a 14 to 7 half time lead. Coach Ford addresses the team and assures everyone that while it is going to be tough to come back on Wagner in the second half, it is to the "benefit of the program" that we stay the course and give the inexperienced players the much needed playing time. The second half goes terribly bad for the Danes.... the defense actually stepped up but the offense turns the ball over 3 times that lead to Wagner scores on short drives. The final score Wagner 34 Albany 17. To make matters worse, SFPA upsets CCSU and Albany loses out on its chance to share in the NEC title. The TEAM and the seniors are heartbroken but all is O.K. because everyone understands that any success that comes along next year was only made possible by today's sacrifice. The coaching staff, by the way, spends much of the off season defending themselves to other coaches around the league, and ultimately they ask themselves this..... how would we feel if another team in the NEC did this to us?

The answer to your question is simple in my eyes: at this point I believe that our offense is the same with or without Esposito at QB.

We are talking about replacing a guy that has a 62.5 passer rating with 13 INTs to only 11 TDs.

Well said gentlemen.

another amazing goal.

The answer to your question is simple in my eyes: at this point I believe that our offense is the same with or without Esposito at QB.

We are talking about replacing a guy that has a 62.5 passer rating with 13 INTs to only 11 TDs.

I thought the point of this whole discussion was to bench senior starters in exchange for giving younger players playing time, to prepare them for next year. That I don't agree with. If you think a change needs to be made at the QB position to improve the teams chances of winning against Wagner, that's a completely different argument.

I thought the point of this whole discussion was to bench senior starters in exchange for giving younger players playing time, to prepare them for next year. That I don't agree with. If you think a change needs to be made at the QB position to improve the teams chances of winning against Wagner, that's a completely different argument.

I have been discussing replacing Espo with a young guy because I think the offense will do no worse with a young guy at QB and that young guy will get much-needed experience.

Those are my exact thoughts about Vinny.

My posts concerning the 'future' getting some experience and playing time

have been aimed mostly at qb. Smith has already been getting time and experience.

Mostly, Dilella needs to have significant minutes, anyway I look at it....

My EXACT gameplan would be made following next Saturday's games.

But, I would be putting Dilella in for quality minutes regardless. The qb position is special, obviously. It's invaluable for Dilella to be in an important game scenerio, especially if there's a chance to tie for champion, while gaining experience and field time. IT's because I feel he's going to be the qb next year.

Having the wildcat with Smith at qb... and then having Dilella at qb with Smith in the backfield at rb... would be a nice combo.

And for other positions, I would be sprinkling in minutes for some of our futures throughout the game, where it seemed beneficial. Maybe an alternating type situation at some point.

Now just imagine that we won the games we were suppposed to win and this topic is never discussed.

No one wants McCarty to sit, they are talking about replacing #7. I am talking about getting some newcomers game experience, not benching all of our Sr's.If #7 doesnt throw picks at Georgia Southern(returned for TD...lost count of his INT's @ UMASS) or against CCSU which set up an easy TD for them we win the NEC hands down and maybe looking at a berth in the FCS playoffs. I give credit to #7 he played very well against Bryant and had a super year last year. He is partially responsible for two NEC Titles. If we manage to back our way into a 3rd then great. 7-4 or 6-5 just doesn't cut it any longer. I know I sound like an ungrateful Georgia Southern fan but we should not be struggling in the last 3 games of a 18-2 run in the NEC that should of ended 21-0.

[t is amassing that all you guys are so aganst Vinny  he has won two NEC championships and has been a great leader  . [t is very obvious that you all are either fans our relatives of Dan Dilella. I joined this forum as a ex player and fan and am very sorry I did . Vinnie has been a great plyer and leader for the last three years as well as all the rest of the offenses guys. This program will be blessed to have another guy like him and all you nay sayers should be embarassed by you comments. This senior class has exceded all expectations and are a great group of men. everyone of them will be much better people than the trolls on this site . Yhe negative posters are ex players {you know who your are,and Jersey people who for some reason do not like Vinnie. all this BS about the QB position is stupid , we have 17 great seniors leaving this program that have busted there but for four to five years.  ALL OF THESE GUYS HAVE MADE MISTAKES AND HAVE HAD BAD GAMES . Why not  bust their butts. Please tell me that Dan Dilella would have made a differance in the last two games . Vinnie was sacked 5 times against RMU and was hurried at least 6 or 7 times more  , Vinnie is way better wiyh his feet than DAN  . HOW MANY SACKS WOULD DAN HAVE? mayby 8 or nine . you folks need to be less personal about opinions and get with the program  . My gut feeling is that your BOY Dilella never sees the field and that either Drew or Leafley will take over  . All this makes me not want to post again

Actually...its very obvious you know nothing of what you speak to as far as saying we are related to someone. I dont know UOFALBANY, but Danefan, Ruler and myself are from three different era's of Albany sports...and have ZERO relation to Dan DiLella. Maybe its more obvious you are related to Vinny...or a friend. I dont give a $iena if Dan, Buddy, Andrew or a player to be named later plays some minutes in the last game. Someone needs game experience...and no one advocated dumping a player in toto.

Look, the kid helped us win 2 titles...but let's call a spade a spade: HE REGRESSED IN A BAD WAY THIS YEAR. I was very shocked...and 11 TD's to 13 INT's is really, really bad for a Senior who has played as much as Vinny. I even took posts down because I felt bad at one point for what I wrote...but frankly...it is what it is. And the sack situation is a definite factor...but as some of us were watching the film/game over the last weeks we saw mental errors that were OVER and OVER and OVER. He locked in on one receiver...didnt look at his progressions on top of the screens...guys wide open underneath...guys wide open, and I do mean WIDE-OPEN, running the seam, etc. That has NOTHING to do with SACKS.

For the record, all three of us understand the nuances of the game...and Danefan especially from the QB position(he was a QB). Why can we not point out the bad? This is DIVISION I college sports and people are talked about and have stories written about them. Since when can't people voice an opinion.

To say we are trolls is ridiculous...and frankly I could care less if you come back. Ford was like a father and uncle to many of us. To question our love for the school, our knowledge of the game...etc...etc. is ridiculous. Quite frankly, Danefan, Ruler, and I kept the football section of this board alive for YEARS...when no one posted...or understood the program from something less than a casual perspective. We have fed this board information that we probably shouldnt have at times. We have as good as access as you can get to a program.

You just picked on three guys that are soon coming up on a combine 60 years of experience with the GREAT DANES.

And no one is saying Dan would have made a difference; we are saying that the future of the program is NOW with the importance of next year's playoff bid. Reading, is fundamental you know.

[t is amassing that all you guys are so aganst Vinny he has won two NEC championships and has been a great leader . [t is very obvious that you all are either fans our relatives of Dan Dilella. I joined this forum as a ex player and fan and am very sorry I did . Vinnie has been a great plyer and leader for the last three years as well as all the rest of the offenses guys. This program will be blessed to have another guy like him and all you nay sayers should be embarassed by you comments. This senior class has exceded all expectations and are a great group of men. everyone of them will be much better people than the trolls on this site . Yhe negative posters are ex players {you know who your are,and Jersey people who for some reason do not like Vinnie. all this BS about the QB position is stupid , we have 17 great seniors leaving this program that have busted there but for four to five years. ALL OF THESE GUYS HAVE MADE MISTAKES AND HAVE HAD BAD GAMES . Why not bust their butts. Please tell me that Dan Dilella would have made a differance in the last two games . Vinnie was sacked 5 times against RMU and was hurried at least 6 or 7 times more , Vinnie is way better wiyh his feet than DAN . HOW MANY SACKS WOULD DAN HAVE? mayby 8 or nine . you folks need to be less personal about opinions and get with the program . My gut feeling is that your BOY Dilella never sees the field and that either Drew or Leafley will take over . All this makes me not want to post again

I don't even know where to begin. I just want to try and clarify something: Are you really calling me out because I think a senior with 13INTs to 11 TD's shouldn't get all the snaps in the last game of the season?

I'm just trying to figure out how that makes me a "bad person".

It seems that you are the one taking all of this personal. I have no affiliation with Dilella, nor do I have any ill will towards Espo. I'm sure they are both fine young men, because if they weren't they wouldn't be playing for Fordie. I threw Dilella's name out there because it was mentioned numerous times by numerous people (including a 5 minute discussion by Wyland on the air) that he was next in line, depending on the decision with Drew Smith. Quite frankly, I could care less who ends up playing next year as long as it is the guy who gives the team the best chance to win the AQ and get to the playoffs.

I don't understand why you are so quick to call out the integrity of supporters of the program because they have a different opinion than you.

[t is amassing that all you guys are so aganst Vinny  he has won two NEC championships and has been a great leader  . [t is very obvious that you all are either fans our relatives of Dan Dilella. I joined this forum as a ex player and fan and am very sorry I did . Vinnie has been a great plyer and leader for the last three years as well as all the rest of the offenses guys. This program will be blessed to have another guy like him and all you nay sayers should be embarassed by you comments. This senior class has exceded all expectations and are a great group of men. everyone of them will be much better people than the trolls on this site . Yhe negative posters are ex players {you know who your are,and Jersey people who for some reason do not like Vinnie. all this BS about the QB position is stupid , we have 17 great seniors leaving this program that have busted there but for four to five years.  ALL OF THESE GUYS HAVE MADE MISTAKES AND HAVE HAD BAD GAMES . Why not  bust their butts. Please tell me that Dan Dilella would have made a differance in the last two games . Vinnie was sacked 5 times against RMU and was hurried at least 6 or 7 times more  , Vinnie is way better wiyh his feet than DAN  . HOW MANY SACKS WOULD DAN HAVE? mayby 8 or nine . you folks need to be less personal about opinions and get with the program  . My gut feeling is that your BOY Dilella never sees the field and that either Drew or Leafley will take over  . All this makes me not want to post again

This program has grown to the point where some discourse should not only be expected but welcomed. Running away because people do not agree with your opinion isn't the grown up thing to do. I hope you stick around through thick and thin and continue to contribute on these boards. Yes, at times people will disagree with you and you with them but such is the nature of this board. Many people here have great connections to the athletic dept. are supporters of the program and want nothing but the best moving forward.

Stick around man.....

[t is amassing that all you guys are so aganst Vinny he has won two NEC championships and has been a great leader . [t is very obvious that you all are either fans our relatives of Dan Dilella. I joined this forum as a ex player and fan and am very sorry I did . Vinnie has been a great plyer and leader for the last three years as well as all the rest of the offenses guys. This program will be blessed to have another guy like him and all you nay sayers should be embarassed by you comments. This senior class has exceded all expectations and are a great group of men. everyone of them will be much better people than the trolls on this site . Yhe negative posters are ex players {you know who your are,and Jersey people who for some reason do not like Vinnie. all this BS about the QB position is stupid , we have 17 great seniors leaving this program that have busted there but for four to five years. ALL OF THESE GUYS HAVE MADE MISTAKES AND HAVE HAD BAD GAMES . Why not bust their butts. Please tell me that Dan Dilella would have made a differance in the last two games . Vinnie was sacked 5 times against RMU and was hurried at least 6 or 7 times more , Vinnie is way better wiyh his feet than DAN . HOW MANY SACKS WOULD DAN HAVE? mayby 8 or nine . you folks need to be less personal about opinions and get with the program . My gut feeling is that your BOY Dilella never sees the field and that either Drew or Leafley will take over . All this makes me not want to post again

This program has grown to the point where some discourse should not only be expected but welcomed. Running away because people do not agree with your opinion isn't the grown up thing to do. I hope you stick around through thick and thin and continue to contribute on these boards. Yes, at times people will disagree with you and you with them but such is the nature of this board. Many people here have great connections to the athletic dept. are supporters of the program and want nothing but the best moving forward.

Stick around man.....

Well put Bosiy!

Disagreement means more people with different perspectives care more about the program.

Archived