UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Gontarek Arrested & Suspended

UAlbany football player suspended following on-campus arrest

The University at Albany announced today head football coach Greg Gattuso has immediately suspended sophomore wide receiver Josh Gontarek following his on-campus arrest by university police on Monday for unlawful possession of marijuana and evidence tampering.

“Josh Gontarek has been suspended indefinitely due to his arrest and alleged violation of NY State law and University at Albany athletic department and student conduct policies,” Gattuso said in a news release.

“We will continue to monitor and respect the legal process and take further action as warranted,” athletic director Mark Benson said.

Gontarek was the Colonial Athletic Association Offensive Rookie of the Year last season. He is second on the team with 16 receptions for 181 yards and two touchdowns this season.

Gontarek is the second UAlbany player to be arrested in the past year. Wide receiver Jordan Crockett of Fort Washington, Md. was charged last November with threatening to blow up the school on the social media app Yik Yak.

Crockett was suspended from the team. He is back with the Great Danes and has made three catches this season.

1) I'm 28 and have no idea what Yik Yak is, so don't feel bad UA'08. And I work in the IT sector lol.

2) This is dumb. I've never smoked pot in my entire life but this stupid country should just legalize it and tax the living crap out of it. It's no worse/better than alcohol (which I also do not consume in any quantity). You can make the claim that he's too young even if it was legal, but this is a dumb thing to screw/tarnish someones college/scholastic career over and worse yet have it on a record that follows them forever. Colorado hasn't gone insane since legalizing it and I have a hunch that much of society already uses it recreationally anyway (when I was in HS, many kids did).

Edited by Ilko

Agree it should be legalized as well, but rules are rules. You have to follow them or at least be smart about it. What it sounds like from reading the article, he was busted wth possession. This would mean he did something stupid, which lead to cops, and then lead to them finding him with pot

• Like 1

damn shame...over pot no less. He should have been more responsible, no doubt about that, but what a silly thing to arrest someone for. a-hole campus cops.

Um no. Grontarek is the a-hole here.
I stand by my statement. Arresting a kid and potentially ruining his life over pot is bull$iena. Cops could have exercised some discretion in the matter.

Using pot should be treated like a traffic offense. Pay a large fine so you dont do it again. End of story.

Edited by madDOG

damn shame...over pot no less. He should have been more responsible, no doubt about that, but what a silly thing to arrest someone for. a-hole campus cops.

Um no. Grontarek is the a-hole here.
I stand by my statement. Arresting a kid and potentially ruining his life over pot is bull$iena. Cops could have exercised some discretion in the matter.

Using pot should be treated like a traffic offense. Pay a large fine so you dont do it again. End of story.

It's a 'banned' substance in the NCAA and is ilegal in NY. More importantly he broke the UA conduct policy. I am 10000% in favor of legalizing as well. These drug tests that the NCAA give are fugazy anyway and many student athletes still smoke weed.