UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

SUNY Free Tuition

Michigan_Dane

Not being in New York I'm somewhat removed from this topic. Curious if there is a consensus that this is good or bad for UA generally and UA athletics specifically. Not talking about good or bad for SUNY or tax payers just UA affect.

1) It's good because it drives up enrollment thus driving up alumni (fans) and more athletic fees. Ohio State has 66,046 students.

2) No affect

3) It's bad because it backfires. Students get free tuition but are angry about the athletic fee. SUNY loses more "prestige" to private schools hurting recruiting.

Crap! That could hurt us because I thought one off set to the "free" tuition was them increasing that out of state tuition number.

If there is no tuition per se that athletic fee like all fees will really stand out.

Edited by Michigan_Dane

Safer than a puppy filled lecture hall "safe space".

Seriously I could see this going either way for UA athletics.

The main possible upside is growing the enrollment if that happens. Serious enrollment would be a huge impact on alumni, fans and athletic fees. Filling 8,000 seats in a stadium is amazingly easier at 25 or 30k students.

The main possible downside is perception of the scholarship being less valuable or if this thing gets expensive and they cut the AD budget. If their budget forecast is way off and they squeeze the schools UA might have to shift dollars away from athletics.

This may be nothing in the end but there is huge potential both good or bad.

• Like 1

I think your argument that free tuition gets expensive and they start cutting/stealing cash from the AD budget..... is

probably the most likely outcome.

If they start giving no cost suny education, they'll probably end up cutting the entire athletic department. It's already

impossible to get these people to give a rats ass about public nys college athletics.

I believe even Cooper Union stopped being free.

CUNY and maybe SUNY was free up to the 60s but that is far cry from what the campuses are now. These schools boast climbing walls and amenities better than a resort. Do these college kids want that austere experience? If your an athlete and can get the best of both worlds why pass that up? Free college at a plush campus. Everybody else is paying $50k for tuition except those on the full ride scholarship.

Patriot League type conferences could have an advantage if free tuition also means austere. Won't know for a decade though for cuts to hit.

If a promise is made to be "free" it'll be hard to take it back even if NYS realizes later it's not affordable to them. All that'll be left is cut else where.

For me option 2 is unlikely. I see this going very good or very bad. Status queue isn't likely.

First, i'll say that i'm not familiar with some of the details but:

1. TN has free community college. The state covers remaining fees after all other options (Pell, scholarships...). They've only had this for a couple of years - i've heard that it's been well received. They're trying to expand it now so it covers not just recent HS grads but older adults as well.

2. I don't see that it'll provide an advantage at SUNY. There are only so many spots available in an incoming class and if they wanted more students, they could just accept more today. What would make a difference is more international and out of state students as they pay higher tuition.

3. From an athletics perspective, it might matter if we were D3 and could recruit instate kids and all they'd have to pay is room and board. But when you're recruiting mostly out of state athletes, i don't see how it'll make a difference.

4. Even if tuition is free, there's still room and board that would need to be paid for so there's still a cost and i'd imagine at a SUNY school, the room and board is probably a lot more than tuition. I'd think that this will still present a barrier for students.

The legislation is complicated. Makes no sense to speculate if you haven't read the bill. Then you can complain about it and it's impact on sports lol.

With all due respect it's not complaining. It's a major piece of legislation. If passed it will have an affect on UA Athletics for sure. If the private schools fears are correct there will be a wave of new students coming to SUNY and away from the Siena, Fordhams of the world. Raising enrollment and likely stadium attendance.

If some of the skeptical politicians are correct the cost is vastly under estimated and that could results in cuts later.