UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Women's Bball

I saw a lot of potential flaws with this team, and it is the most unimpressed I walked away from a game in Coach Abe's tenure.

Richards is fantastic as usual, but if nobody on the team can consistently hit a jumper longer than 15' then she is going to regularly get double and triple teamed in the post.

Tate still has a beautiful shot, and is a highly active rebounder, but she has a mid-range game that does not extend the defense.

Coughlin should not be starting on a four-time defending conference championship team. If she and I were at an amusement park and we decided to play one of those games where you have to hit a jumper to win a stuffed animal I would tell her that I was taking the shot.

Unless one of the new guards steps up and gains Coach Abe's confidence, teams are going to shut down the team's two stars and force UAlbany into the outside shot, and UAlbany is going to struggle.

Coach Abe is a fantastic coach, but unless something changes I will not be at all surprised to see Maine take the conference championship this year.

Any reason why Tiana-Jo Carter did not play today?

She dressed, and participated in the lay-up line, so my theory is that she got recruited over.

Tiana-Jo had a good first year, but in my opinion her hands were not soft enough, and she didn't handle passes to the interior well.

If Lavergne continues to get the majority of minutes at center, then it definitely needs to be asked why a replacement for a serviceable player was found but nothing was done about finding two or three sharp-shooters that could offer a different offensive dynamic.

The biggest deficiency with the construction of this roster is that it cannot rapidly counter-punch. If another team gets hot with their three-point shooting there is simply no way for them to quickly respond similarly.

Edited by haggyland

Coughlin was 1-13 from 3, and I thought she was listed at the point, but she only had three assists. Saunders had 8. I was thinking we needed somebody like Melia Basavand from five years ago, but looking it up her 3-pt % was the same as Coughlins', Erin just had a bad day. But last year only four players made 3-pointers - Royals and Rosario are gone, and Faquiere only made three. There must be a gym rat out there somewhere who can shoot from outside.

Lavergne did have the biggest smile when she made her first bucket. She looks like she could be pretty good if she spends some time in the weight room.

Didn't we recruit a big time JUCO shooter?

I think Coughlin is the "shooter" because she shoots..not really because she's that good at it. She's a 32% three-point shooter for her career..hit 28% last year. My guess is she got that many shots because Pepperdine knows what type of shooter she is. And she kept taking them because she was open and they were trying hard to open the court up to help Richards.

If Coach Abe has recruited over Carter..then that's a GREAT problem to have. While Carter still can grow as a player..she was on the All-Rookie team and started the majority of the games last year. Was third in the conference in BPG and third on the team in RPG.

Didn't we recruit a big time JUCO shooter?

I think Coughlin is the "shooter" because she shoots..not really because she's that good at it. She's a 32% three-point shooter for her career..hit 28% last year. My guess is she got that many shots because Pepperdine knows what type of shooter she is. And she kept taking them because she was open and they were trying hard to open the court up to help Richards.

If Coach Abe has recruited over Carter..then that's a GREAT problem to have. While Carter still can grow as a player..she was on the All-Rookie team and started the majority of the games last year. Was third in the conference in BPG and third on the team in RPG.

Hixson came in for one minute, was responsible for a turnover on a horribly telegraphed pass, and was taken out of the game. Coach Abe has always seemed to frown much more upon turnovers than missed shots.

Coughlin had a particularly rough shooting game, but her lifetime percentages indicate that it is mostly to be expected.

Just a theory that she was recruited over. Agreed it would be great, but my concern is that the shooting guard position was not the area of primary recruiting concern.

I also think one plan this year is eventually to have Shereesha play the 3 (I am pretty sure that if Megan had stayed last year, that was the plan). Coach Abe had talked about it while we were in Baton Rouge that year, but when Megan left, she didn't have an alternative to play down low, so it had to be her and TJC. Now, with Lavernge and Forster on the squad, it will allow for a bit more roster flexibility. Shereesha hit a 3 yesterday, and I have a feeling we will see more of that from her this year. While they won't shoot as much from behind the arc as they did when Lowrie and Henry were roaming the floor, they will get enough from other sources, and more than last year.

I don't know how good the Boston U women are supposed to be, but Albany is a little more impressive tonight, leading 51-18 at the half.

Edit: OK, BU was 5-25 last year and lost their opener to Northeastern 77-44. But at least the Albany women have hit some threes tonight

Edited by UAalum72

I don't know how good the Boston U women are supposed to be, but Albany is a little more impressive tonight, leading 51-18 at the half.

51 points with barely any 3's...because they are causing turnovers galore.

BTW, Tiana-Jo got some minutes tonight, and her sitting against Pepperdine was not injury related.

Looks like coach is getting prepped to beat up on TN Vols ;) 6 woman rotation today, Tate and Carter coming up big. Richards just an average day with 31 pts.! Great FT shooting, 0 - yes 0 3pt. shots made and only 4 attempted. Not sure how this team does anything out of conference without getting the 3's going. I guess you gotta go with strengths and get out of conference first.