35 replies to this topic

#1 AlbanyFan2018

AlbanyFan2018

Dane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:57 AM

I ask this based upon a lot of the press I have read over the course of the season, especially after the seeding and win over UNC.

I think everyone who watched lacrosse felt that Hopkins wasn't a 6th seed and Albany wasn't an 8th seed if you believed the eye test, but the eye test doesn't matter, and the current competitive balance in the AE doesn't necessarily help.

To have an elite SOS Albany is going to have to radically change its schedule, although I think we will see Cornell and Harvard be much better which will help, but with the vast majority of the AE sub .500, most conference foes will be a drag. The conference has several great new coaches so I am hopeful this will change.

Just some random questions

1. Is the program big enough to survive Coach Marr leaving? I'm not sure

2. Is UA appealing to non NY student athlete's? Needle moving in that direction

3. Is UA winning battles against Syracuse? Not sure

4. Facilities. Lagging the big boys. No bubble, no indoor facility, no dedicated lacrosse area like the Cordish Center. But does any of that matter???

5. Is the profram sexy for lack of a better word? I think it is getting there. Need to get to the final four

6.What are the limitations of the SUNY system? No idea and with 17 years of team history UA doesn't have the alumni base of other programs.

#2 DanesRGood

DanesRGood

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:04 AM

According to two high school lax coaches I know UAlbany is a topic with the kids on their teams and someplace they are considering over the more traditional lax schools.  I think that is a positive.

#3 AlbanyFan2018

AlbanyFan2018

Dane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:35 AM

I agree. I think it is happening.

#4 Michigan_Dane

Michigan_Dane

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:58 AM

I think UA has outgrown the America East. It's holding us back. If we lost a Coach Brown or Marr it would be tough. The big boys just recruit the next coach because the Big 10 or ACC is perennial. We are always at risk of losing what we've achieved.

In short we're not there yet where the Albany name is going to sell a recruit.
Formerly ATL_Dane

#5 uofalbany

uofalbany

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 3,591 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 10:28 AM

The Thompsons brought the UAlbany name into the national conversation.  What brings UA

to a 'destination' type, is winning a national champion.  Stepping into the final four, winning at least one game

in the final four, all help in the quest of becoming a 'destination'.

We have the talent to win the national championship this year.

One game at a time.  Each game is going to be a battle.  Fight, fight, fight with each and every

ground ball, faceoff, dodge, pass... 

We can do it.  Go Danes. 

Edited by uofalbany, 17 May 2017 - 10:51 AM.

UA Class of '93

599489_235629683226336_1094172808_n+(2).

#6 AlbanyFan2018

AlbanyFan2018

Dane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 11:01 AM

I think UA has outgrown the America East. It's holding us back. If we lost a Coach Brown or Marr it would be tough. The big boys just recruit the next coach because the Big 10 or ACC is perennial. We are always at risk of losing what we've achieved.
In short we're not there yet where the Albany name is going to sell a recruit.

I think you made the million dollar point about Albany having outgrown the American East.

Kkds will go to a Rutgers to play in the Big10. That's why Albany has to make the out of conference games even tougher which means a lot of road trips.

#7 uofalbany

uofalbany

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 3,591 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:20 PM

Loyola won a national championship in 2012.. and is in the patriot conference.

Quality program.

Would Loyola be considered a lacrosse 'destination' now?

I'm not sure I'd consider them among the top tier choices of a high quality recruit... or a 'destination'

Any opinions on loyola and/or any comparison to the UA program?

UA Class of '93

599489_235629683226336_1094172808_n+(2).

#8 UA'08

UA'08

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:28 PM

Lacrosse unlimited is one of my clients. They say their Albany gear is always a big seller with the younger kids here on LI. The purple and gold is popular

#9 madDOG

madDOG

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 05:05 PM

UA Lax has a fair amount of credibility down here in the Atlanta area where lacrosse is growing very fast. Thompson's playing for the Georgia Swarm has contributed to that as well.

#10 GreatDanes06

GreatDanes06

Great Dane

• RACC Rowdy
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:31 AM

I would like to think we are at Gonzaga level in NCAA Basketball. 

ezgif-3597559411_zpsbkmaplrz.gifezgif-677495407_zpslbrm2khp.gifJAMAR1.gif1_zpsx9vbx1cs.gif

#11 AlbanyFan2018

AlbanyFan2018

Dane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:48 AM

Loyola won a national championship in 2012.. and is in the patriot conference.
Quality program.

Would Loyola be considered a lacrosse 'destination' now?

I'm not sure I'd consider them among the top tier choices of a high quality recruit... or a 'destination'

Any opinions on loyola and/or any comparison to the UA program?

Loyola is an interesting school. Generally, I think most would put it a notch above Albany because of their National Championship and they tend to recruit more kids that you read about in the recruiting rags FWIW.

Ridley is a great lacrosse facility, and overall the Patriot League is a stronger conference then the AE and Loyola year in and year out plays a solid OCC.

#12 AlbanyFan2018

AlbanyFan2018

Dane

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:49 PM

Inside Lacrosse article on the subject.

http://www.insidelac...e-in-2017/49560

#13 BestDaneSinceHamlet

BestDaneSinceHamlet

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 930 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:15 PM

Inside Lacrosse article on the subject.

http://www.insidelac...e-in-2017/49560

This is the best article ever written about any Albany team in any sport.  Well..maybe besides that Barstool Sports one...

#14 Michigan_Dane

Michigan_Dane

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 969 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:24 PM

The top conferences are like California beach front housing. Even in a downturn everybody wants in so "down" is never as long or as severe.

What conference is even possible down the road for Albany as a next step?

Edited by Michigan_Dane, 18 May 2017 - 06:26 PM.

Formerly ATL_Dane

#15 Michigan_Dane

Michigan_Dane

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 969 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 06:29 PM

Is it possible for UAlbany Lacrosse to get into the Big Ten like Johns Hopkins just for that sport or would the AE forbid it?

If the MAC jumped on the lax bandwagon that might be compelling since they are fbs.
Formerly ATL_Dane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users