UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Buffalo (100) is ranked ahead Syracuse (104). Never thought I'd see the day a SUNY football program ahead of Syracuse. Tough times for 'Cuse or progress for SUNY?

Yeah, I know the arguements that we're early in the season and maybe these computer numbers don't mean much... but it has to be a first for SUNY.

I'd love to see a I-90 college football trail. Albany-Syracuse-Buffalo. 10 years. Close proximity is what made the SEC what it is today. Gainesville to Athens, Columbia to Oxford it's all driveable.

Buffalo (100) is ranked ahead Syracuse (104). Never thought I'd see the day a SUNY football program ahead of Syracuse. Tough times for 'Cuse or progress for SUNY?

Yeah, I know the arguements that we're early in the season and maybe these computer numbers don't mean much... but it has to be a first for SUNY.

Perhaps this is karma for Syracuse buying all those ads stating themselves as "New York's College Team". Outside of being more geographically convenient for most of the state, Syracuse should have no claim to the name given that they're a private school and they have more students from outside New York than in. Until Albany gets its desperately needed funds for a stadium and starts the move to FBS, Buffalo is the only school should lay claim to "New York's College Team", football wise at least.

To add to ATL_DANE's comment on an ACC/SEC-style football trail, I think that we could try to toss UMass in there (if they did go FBS), possibly UConn, URI, or Rutgers too, maybe Stony if the Big South murders them. Though it'd miss the big money (NYC), it'd be a seedling for a plant that should have bloomed a long time ago. If only the money to fund upgrades to FBS at UA/URI/UMass/Stony take place. the Big East falls, and UB decides to be more eastern than being the easternmost team in the MAC.

UB at 100 of 119 isn't a lot of progress, but I think bob87 can give us a first-hand report on how tough times are for the Orange.

In this case the computer looks accurate. Assuming you're using Sagarin, there are 7 FCS teams included in the 99 ahead of UB.

UB at 100 of 119 isn't a lot of progress, but I think bob87 can give us a first-hand report on how tough times are for the Orange.

In this case the computer looks accurate. Assuming you're using Sagarin, there are 7 FCS teams included in the 99 ahead of UB.

Actually it's better than 100 of 119 since some FCS schools are ahead of both of them (e.g. App State and Montana). Buffalo is beating 27 other 1A (FBS) teams by my count. So that is about 92 of 119. Better than 119 of 119, right? Wasn't too long ago...

Along the lines of progress, Buffalo beat Temple 42-7 this past weekend. Yes, it was Temple, but Buffalo scored 42 points!!!! THAT never happens. And Buffalo is tied for first at 1-0 (1-1) in the MAC-East (at least for now).

And remember, on August 31, 2006, Buffalo only beat Temple 9-3 in overtime. Progress!

Question: How long has Temple been in the MAC-East? Is that new this year??

Next up for the Bulls of Western New York this Saturday: at Penn State.

Along the lines of progress, Buffalo beat Temple 42-7 this past weekend. Yes, it was Temple, but Buffalo scored 42 points!!!! THAT never happens. And Buffalo is tied for first at 1-0 (1-1) in the MAC-East (at least for now).

And remember, on August 31, 2006, Buffalo only beat Temple 9-3 in overtime. Progress!

Something tells me they'll be on the opposite side of that 42-7... :rolleyes:

I'm a UB sophomore from Albany, and I must say that the Syracuse ad kinda ticked me off a little. I saw it on the CDTA over the summer, and first day back in Buffalo I saw it on a public bus here. They did throw a ton of money into marketing to try to bring back old fans. Didnt really work, they couldn't even fill the stadium for the opening night unvailing of those new orange jerseys again Washington. I didn't know what also made me throw up first, the jerseys or the performance from the players wearing those jerseys. Andrew Robinson (not the one from Schenectady that will lead the UB Bulls basketball team this year :rolleyes: ) is going to be a fine quarterback, but they do not have much talent otherwise. Should have kept Kareem Jones.

I am confident that UB can hopefully get this thing going, but I think the Temple debacle was a combination of us getting a little bit better and Temple being really bad. We finally have some D1 talent at positions. I'm heading down to the Penn St game (20 bucks through UB w/ transportation, cant beat it), and I'm not expecting much. The games after is where people will see if UB is for real. The home game against Baylor and the away game vs. Ball State will be the measuring stick. 2-0, and Turner Gill will start to get offers. 1-1, definitly getting better. 0-2, same ol' Bulls.

Why has UB had such a hard time in FBS? I was watching the Auburn game Saturday night and was blown away by USF. Look what they have achieved in 10 years. 10 years from nothing to beating Auburn.

---------------------------------------------------------

"There has been unprecedented growth in the school's football program. USF began football play as a 1-AA independent in 1997, moved to 1-A in 2001, then to Conference USA in 2003, and now competes in the Big East conference (as of 2005) with its Bowl Championship Series (BCS) tie-ins.[45]

USF's rapid advancement to the Big East Conference and the associated gains in recruiting have been helped greatly by its facilities. The Bulls recently opened a $18 million athletic facility on campus, and the football team plays its home games in Raymond James Stadium, also the home field of the National Football League's Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Coach Jim Leavitt has enjoyed success in the first ten seasons, and the program is seen as a program on the rise, and a model for establishing a football program at other colleges. On September 24, 2005, USF defeated ninth-ranked University of Louisville, for its first victory over a Big East rival as well as a Top Ten opponent. As a result, USF received its first-ever votes in the AP college football poll. USF saw its second win over a ranked opponent by beating widely favored #7 West Virginia University on November 25, 2006. On September 8, 2007, they beat yet another ranked opponent in #17 Auburn University.

USF, which was passed up for bowls in 2001 and 2002, was extended an invitation to play in the Meineke Car Care Bowl on December 31, 2005 against N.C. State from the ACC. The bowl game was only the 100th football game in school history, a feat unmatched in NCAA Division 1-A history. In 2006, USF was invited to the PapaJohns.com Bowl in Birmingham, Alabama defeating East Carolina University for the first bowl victory in in program history."

Why has UB had such a hard time in FBS? I was watching the Auburn game Saturday night and was blown away by USF. Look what they have achieved in 10 years. 10 years from nothing to beating Auburn.

Probably has to do with the population and economic trends in Tampa compared to Buffalo, plus local attitudes toward college football.

Archived