UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

vs. Iona

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of Moore, where was he today? Is he also hurt?

moore was there, he got some garbage time, health wise he seems perfectly fine.

It does not look like Moore is the answer defensively. If he is?? Why was he not in there against Iona? Also, someone commented when Black is back, we would be able to use Moore more; but wouldn't Black's return mean even less minutes? (I do not know how he can get less than the 2 minutes total over the last two game)

Speaking of Moore, where was he today? Is he also hurt?

moore was there, he got some garbage time, health wise he seems perfectly fine.

It does not look like Moore is the answer defensively. If he is?? Why was he not in there against Iona? Also, someone commented when Black is back, we would be able to use Moore more; but wouldn't Black's return mean even less minutes? (I do not know how he can get less than the 2 minutes total over the last two game)

I wondered the same thing. To me it looks like when Black returns the four guys off the bench will be Metcalf, Lindfors, JI and Watts taking the time at back-up SG. Moore has gone from starter to mop-up guy in five games thanks to Iati's play and the improvement of Watts.

Neither Aronhalt nor Ambrose are 'good' defenders..but we need both in for offense. When Black returns..we will have 2 real scorers..while bumping someone..likely Ambrose..to bring Moore in for defense.

I agree with Doc, we need Ambrose and Logan right now on the court to generate some offense. Black on the other hand can generate offense for himself and others. I would expect with his return that Moores minutes will go back up. He shows superior lateral quickness and can stay in front of the oppositions best guards, he also contests shots well and closes out quickly on the shooters. Something we severally lacked in the Iona game, the closeouts simply weren't quick enough.

I would expect Watt's minutes to drop a bit as well as Ambrose, 23 minutes for Watt's is to much, 34 minutes for Ambrose is probably to much as well with Black on the court. I would expect Watts to be around 10-12 minutes and Ambrose around 25-30 minutes. I also don't expect Logan to be out there 40 minutes every game, he should probably be closer to 30-32 minutes a game. I believe Moore can do more on offense slashing to the rim he's simply not comfortable enough as of yet. It's no coincidence IMO that our perimeter D was the best in the Cornell game with Moore getting a lot of time. The rotations were quick, and we didn't have to pack it in as much as we did against Iona. Defense starts at the guard position denying penetration and the opposition the ability to feed the ball inside. Right now we are simply to slow or small on the perimeter with Watts, Iati, Logan and Ambrose out there. Black is an improvement on D over all of them as well as Moore.

It sucks that we've had to basically play 5 games without arguably our best player or second best considering how Logan is going on offense. Hopefully it will pay dividends with Iati spelling Black for 5-7 minutes a game and Watts getting some decent experience. He finally settled down yesterday and was able to knock some shots down, that should help us as the season progresses.

will brown has said repeatedly that moore is the best defender on the team, and if there was one thing UA needed against Iona was better defenders- the game was lost on guard penetration and easy passes for wide open shots. I cannot imagine he would turn down the opportunity to put moore out there as we got burned again and again, if he wasn't afraid of turning the ball over every other possession.

Achilles problem or not, Puk seems to have a problem with his basketball IQ. He fouled out of the American game after playing 13 minutes (and at least two of the fouls were on offense). He got 4 fouls against Iona playing - again - only 13 minutes. To be fair, I did not watch the Iona game (I'm home on break), so I don't know whether the fouls were committed on offense or defense, but Puk needs to figure out how to play without fouling, period.

I'm disappointed in his results, to say the least. He seemed like he had potential.

Achilles problem or not, Puk seems to have a problem with his basketball IQ. He fouled out of the American game after playing 13 minutes (and at least two of the fouls were on offense). He got 4 fouls against Iona playing - again - only 13 minutes. To be fair, I did not watch the Iona game (I'm home on break), so I don't know whether the fouls were committed on offense or defense, but Puk needs to figure out how to play without fouling, period.

I'm disappointed in his results, to say the least. He seemed like he had potential.

He had zero fouls at halftime..picked up all in the second half.

He's played just five career DI games..I think he might have some more games to realize his 'potential.'

I'm not sure why CB doesn't start Metcalf and let Puk come along in limited minutes. Metcalf is a better rebounded and more of a bruiser inside. Puk has potential, but he needs a lot of polish, physically he has the tools.

I think Will's got it right actually, from what I've seen. Metcalf and Lindfors seemed out of place far more frequently than Puk, and though Puk was a little late with his recovery and got a few fouls quickly. Metcalf is at his best if he's going 100% all-out, and that's easier as an energy guy of the bench. I like getting as many minutes for Puk as possible.

He's played just five career DI games..I think he might have some more games to realize his 'potential.'

In addition, anyone who doesn't know what achillies issues is like wouldn't understand the profound effect it has on the way you can play. It could lead to hamstring/knee pain...foot pain...and major plantar fascia issues. I would suspect that a guy of his size--in addition to still learning the game as Phoenix points out--would have some serious lateral issues with an achilles problem...plus explosiveness problems with regards to rebounding/boxing out. Anything with an effect on those parts of the body will slow a player down and could be the reason he is fouling.

Just my .02!

Then why keep pushing him out there, or why is he pushing himself. Get him healthy unless it requires month's off.

In addition, anyone who doesn't know what achillies issues is like wouldn't understand the profound effect it has on the way you can play. It could lead to hamstring/knee pain...foot pain...and major plantar fascia issues. I would suspect that a guy of his size--in addition to still learning the game as Phoenix points out--would have some serious lateral issues with an achilles problem...plus explosiveness problems with regards to rebounding/boxing out. Anything with an effect on those parts of the body will slow a player down and could be the reason he is fouling.

Just my .02!

Archived