UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Next step

I've been pondering this question for a while now so I'll put it here. There has obviously been progress made this season with 12 wins. We should be able to get a few more (hopefully) with a pretty weak home slate and one up game at Maine (not that Bing will be easy). I think we can realistically get to 14 wins, maybe even 15 (a stretch). But looking at this roster moving forward into next year what do we need to do to get to the next step? Sucess of any D1 program starts on the recruiting trail, our scholarship situation is as follows.

Graduation

- Ambrose

- Billy Allen (speculative)

- Fran Urli

Transferred

- Russell Moore

- Theo Hatcher - Not sure what to make of his situation

Remaining Players/New Players

*Back-court*

- Black

- Aronhalt

- Iati (walk-on)

- Suero

- Tartt

- Watts

- Page

*Front-court*

- Puk

- Devlin

- Rowley

- Metcalf

- Lindfors

Baring any further transfers we should have one or two more 'ships to give this summer depending on what happens with Hatcher. I like our depth in the front-court with the addition of Rowley who I hear is a mean SOB and the development of Luke, Puke and Metcalf. Jake appears to be doing some work in practice because CB is rewarding him with a little bit of playing time as of late.

I'd love for them to bring in another swing man type kid who's athletic and can attack the rim. I hear Suero does this exceptionally well but we need one more that can do that. Logan isn't very good attacking the rim once the defense is set and Black doesn't do it enough so one more kid that can do that would great. We need help on the offensive end. Far to many times over the last few years this team has struggled mightily shooting the rock, although this season things have gotten better last night not withstanding we need more help here.

I've been pondering this question for a while now so I'll put it here. There has obviously been progress made this season with 12 wins. We should be able to get a few more (hopefully) with a pretty weak home slate and one up game at Maine (not that Bing will be easy). I think we can realistically get to 14 wins, maybe even 15 (a stretch). But looking at this roster moving forward into next year what do we need to do to get to the next step? Sucess of any D1 program starts on the recruiting trail, our scholarship situation is as follows.

Graduation

- Ambrose

- Billy Allen (speculative)

- Fran Urli

Transferred

- Russell Moore

- Theo Hatcher - Not sure what to make of his situation

Remaining Players/New Players

*Back-court*

- Black

- Aronhalt

- Iati (walk-on)

- Suero

- Tartt

- Watts

- Page

*Front-court*

- Puk

- Devlin

- Rowley

- Metcalf

- Lindfors

Baring any further transfers we should have one or two more 'ships to give this summer depending on what happens with Hatcher. I like our depth in the front-court with the addition of Rowley who I hear is a mean SOB and the development of Luke, Puke and Metcalf. Jake appears to be doing some work in practice because CB is rewarding him with a little bit of playing time as of late.

I'd love for them to bring in another swing man type kid who's athletic and can attack the rim. I hear Suero does this exceptionally well but we need one more that can do that. Logan isn't very good attacking the rim once the defense is set and Black doesn't do it enough so one more kid that can do that would great. We need help on the offensive end. Far to many times over the last few years this team has struggled mightily shooting the rock, although this season things have gotten better last night not withstanding we need more help here.

Is it me or do we not have many set plays? There is also no flow to this offense.

IMO we should be pushing the ball more and getting easy buckets in transition. With our half court offense and lack of kids that can break the D down, once the D is set we struggle mightily. Shooting also a problem once the D is set. With the exception of Ambrose, Black and Watts (who doesn't convert many) we don't attack enough IMO. Logan tries but doesn't have the quickness/handle to break anyone down of the dribble.

A team like BU will show you what you're missing. I like Tim and Logan but BU essentially has two players with the same skills who are bigger (Holland 6'5 and Partin 6'6) and better athletes. That's a tough combo for us. I thought we masked it better in the first match-up because Watts played much more and better. Physically he's a better match-up.

I like our front court, I think they're going to be good moving forward if they continue to progress. I'd like us to get more size in the guard and small forward spots. We have a bit of that with Watts but he's disappeared the last couple of games. We'll be adding a bit of that with Page and Suero so we're headed in that direction.

It will be really interesting to see who they bring in with the last scholarship. PG?

We could really use a good ball handler and successor to Black at the PG spot but I'm hearing that spot might be filled in '12 with a really good kid.

If I had to guess, the ship goes to another Suero like kid...meaning an athlete who can attack the rim with a vengeance.

I think this much is clear, we need to get more athletic and long. BU has some awesome talent, long and athletic.

IMO we should be pushing the ball more and getting easy buckets in transition. With our half court offense and lack of kids that can break the D down, once the D is set we struggle mightily. Shooting also a problem once the D is set. With the exception of Ambrose, Black and Watts (who doesn't convert many) we don't attack enough IMO. Logan tries but doesn't have the quickness/handle to break anyone down of the dribble.

We've been saying to push the ball and play a more transition type game since last year and we havent seen any of it. I remember watching that youtube video of logan in hs and it is a complete 180. i know hes had two big ankle surgeries, but when he is on the court it seems like he is moving in slow motion.

We've been saying to push the ball and play a more transition type game since last year and we havent seen any of it. I remember watching that youtube video of logan in hs and it is a complete 180. i know hes had two big ankle surgeries, but when he is on the court it seems like he is moving in slow motion.

I've actually seen more transition this year then I've seen in the past. Problem is we need to get more athletic. Black is that type of guard but we need more length and speed. Black can push the ball but who can run with him? Ambrose is pretty good, Logan is average at best. Logan's strength isn't creating his shot, it's running off of screens and shooting.

Suero is a BE athlete and long 6'4...no idea if he can actually play like a BE talent but on paper he looks good. I'm not sold any more until I can see it with my own two eyes but there had to have been something there if out of HS he had schools that high on the food chain looking at him. This recruiting class is HUGELY important to add talent and depth. Let's face it, we dropped the ball with Moore and Hatcher and hit one out of the ballpark with Devlin. We needed more than one good recruit out of last year but one is better than nothing.

This is the only vid I could find of Suero...I believe he is #20 dark jerseys. This is back in HS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s94nd0Qrtjs

This a recent article from Dec 30 on him which I can't read because it's in Dominican (can't find a translator) but he looks a lot more filled out now.

Link

http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=8&t=6784&qpid=55522

GERARDO+SUERO+Y+SU+PADRE.jpg

The title is "Gerardo Suero expected to average 20 points" lol.

From Suero...

"The coach says I'm the player that the team needs to return to the NCAA tournament"

"I have to work on the physical aspect, I also improved on defense. I also handle the ball better"

Good old Google Translate.

The full article...

Gerardo Suero has the confidence to be one of the few Dominicans who averages 20 points per game in NCAA basketball.

Now you have to confirm on the court as he has expressed. "I have a good year. I will practice hard for averaging over 20 points, "said Young during a visit to The Listin Diario Sport with his father Gerardo Suero Correa.

Serum received a scholarship from the University of Albany to complete the two years remaining.

Albany coach himself, Will Brown, was assessed by last summer and immediately offered him a scholarship.

"I was in college and all received me very well. The coach says I'm the player that the team needs to return to the NCAA tournament, "said the guard handle 6 to 4, for net proceeds of the club Mauricio Báez.

Is defined as a player who likes to attack the basket and grab rebounds. He claims to have perfected their moves the perimeter.

"I have to work on the physical aspect, I also improved on defense. I also handle the ball better, "admitted the young man of 215 pounds.

In the country will train under the supervision of Jose Boyón-Domínguez. In his final season with the Junior College Technical Career Institutes, averaged 21.4 points and 11.7 rebounds.

"I thank my family who always supported me, my first coach Ramon Peguero (Ogarro), Pedro Pablo Perez, Ricardo Ramon and Felipe Payano who have helped me become who I am," the native of Villa Juana.

I've learned though over the past 5 years not to expect anything from any new players that come in so i will keep that expectation with Suero too.

Yeah, I call it the WH lesson.

agree. although he was only 77 pts shy of 1000. he was probably playing at the level he should have been playing at. we all just had unrealistic expectations. i still say him red shirting a year would have been a better idea.

I've learned though over the past 5 years not to expect anything from any new players that come in so i will keep that expectation with Suero too.

Yeah, I call it the WH lesson.

agree. although he was only 77 pts shy of 1000. he was probably playing at the level he should have been playing at. we all just had unrealistic expectations. i still say him red shirting a year would have been a better idea.

Good point

Archived