UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Gontarek Arrested & Suspended

Exactly. I'm sorry, I was no goodie-two shoes in college, believe me...but to advocate bringing someone back just so we can win is missing the point entirely. He broke a CURRENT FEDERAL LAW. He broke a CURRENT STATE LAW. While I have my own personal feelings on where weed should be on the criminal scale, the kid simply broke the law.

Again, and less important, he broke the trust of his teammates by letting them down and getting in this situation.

Let him stew, and learn. If he's weak...he leaves. My hope is that he is STRONG and comes back with a chip on his shoulder.

Broke a current federal law? Perhaps. Marijuana is, after all, a controlled substance under federal law.

Nevertheless, the DOJ has identified, in an August 29, 2013, memo from the Deputy Attorney General, the 8 areas of marijuana enforcement that the DOJ is interested in, of which this case is obviously not one. To reference federal law in this matter is fair but not at all relevant. He has not been charged, nor ever will be charged, with a federal offense.

In addition, isn't Gontarek's offense under Penal Law 221.05, a violation (less than 25 grams)? I've never even heard of an obstruction charge being tacked on to a 221.05 violation. I understand the factual basis for the obstruction charge, but it is absurd (IMHO).

Indeed, this whole matter is as absurd as me posting about it. That said, no player should be using illegal substances or drinking underage especially during the season. To do so, is to not give 110% effort towards the team's goals and to let one's teammates (and fans) down.

Are you telling me that the Feds have no right to make an arrest on campus for a violation of codified law because the Attorney General wrote a position paper? Really?!

He was in possession of marijuana in the amounts, from what was reported, that violate federal law. To be clear, he violated a codified law, the possession of a controlled Class I substance. In NYS, he violated the CDS, and from the numbers reported...potentially a Class C Felony.

Furthermore, he arguably destroyed evidence when he tossed the drugs out of a window. Both violations of Federal and State law.

Irrespective of the fine line you are trying to draw, you are doing a disservice to this board when you state, as a factual basis, that the DOJ letter somehow means an individual is less than likely to be arrested for Felony possession.

You also miss my point completely. IT'S OPTICS. Again, I think it's all stupid...but factually speaking, until his day in court is over...how on earth could a coach have any standing in this community by re-instating a kid who is charged with a FELONY.

But anyone advocating this kid should be playing because we need to win football games is simply giving the anti-sport community all the ammunition they need. The kid got, and still is getting, a free education. If he can't play football for the year...so be it. Maybe he learns a good lesson, especially after embarrassing a coach who gave him a HUGE chance.

Jeesh.

He has not been, nor ever will be, charged with a federal crime.

You know better than to aver what he has or has not done in the absence of charge much less a conviction.

As for whether I do a "disservice" to this Board, I would appreciate that you refrain from the personal attacks. Thanks.

Edited by UA_MA_2000

Son, we live in a quad that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by campus cops with tazers. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Clickclack? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Gontarek, and you curse the UPD. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Gontarek's arrest, while tragic, probably destroyed UA's football season. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, destroys football seasons. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at frat parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending kids from Long Island. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a tazer, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

• Like 4

Son, we live in a quad that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by campus cops with tazers. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Clickclack? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Gontarek, and you curse the UPD. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That Gontarek's arrest, while tragic, probably destroyed UA's football season. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, destroys football seasons. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at frat parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending kids from Long Island. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a tazer, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

Dont-Tase-Me-Bro-Dont-Tase-me.jpg

• Like 1