UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Asses In The Seats?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured let's take this off the Siena thread since it has nothing to do with them. The less topics involving the better, I say.

So the question is, with Benson around, what has he done to reach out to the community so far? Has anyone noticed anything?

Ask not what UA can do for you but what you can do for UA! After-all it's your job as a fan to hound the school with suggestions.

In all honesty and seriousness, we have a nice program going, with some great fans. This takes time, we are heading in the right direction. There are always things to work on and that won't change.

What I do for UA, in part: I spend $10-20 per game eating food offered at SEFCU and have been doing so for years. However, I don't like the food which says a lot because I consider Taco Bell gourmet. #bringbackSEFCUpanpizzas

I figured let's take this off the Siena thread since it has nothing to do with them. The less topics involving the better, I say.

So the question is, with Benson around, what has he done to reach out to the community so far? Has anyone noticed anything?

Ask not what UA can do for you but what you can do for UA! After-all it's your job as a fan to hound the school with suggestions.

In all honesty and seriousness, we have a nice program going, with some great fans. This takes time, we are heading in the right direction. There are always things to work on and that won't change.

What I do for UA, in part: I spend $10-20 per game eating food offered at SEFCU and have been doing so for years. However, I don't like the food which says a lot because I consider Taco Bell gourmet. #bringbackSEFCUpanpizzas

To those who think good food and beer (yes, i now know we sell beer in the back corner secret room) would not draw more fans I cite primary document evidence from a discussion btwn Vermont forum and SLU fan referring to food / drink at SLU arena:

Originally Posted by NotDeadYet viewpost.gif
Great, we've got 2 votes! I'll be happy to see Chaifetz Arena. Do they have any not-to-be-missed food items?
The Nachos are awesome (several meat combinations) and the Toasted Ravioli is bad-ass. The reason fans like coming to SLU is that we sell beer at an on-campus arena.
Edited by jalidanefan

To those who think good food and beer (yes, i now know we sell beer in the back corner secret room) would not draw more fans I cite primary document evidence from a discussion btwn Vermont forum and SLU fan referring to food / drink at SLU arena:

Originally Posted by NotDeadYet viewpost.gif

Great, we've got 2 votes! I'll be happy to see Chaifetz Arena. Do they have any not-to-be-missed food items?The Nachos are awesome (several meat combinations) and the Toasted Ravioli is bad-ass. The reason fans like coming to SLU is that we sell beer at an on-campus arena.

LOL... Prohibition, UA style.

To those who think good food and beer (yes, i now know we sell beer in the back corner secret room)...

Now you're making me feel special! :)

It's so secret that it's in a room with see-through doors that Athletics hosts public events, selection shows and press conferences in dozens of times a year..and joined by probably 100 or so fans on a good day at halftime. Next home game..stop in and say you're with BPF..maybe you'll get a free drink ticket out of it!

In all seriousness..any UA fan that hasn't yet been in the Hall of Fame room should definitely do so. Lots of fun Great Dane history.

One way for a team to get fans to be interested...I know it's the NBA and obviously they all have more money to throw around for marketing...but stuff like this. I don't want a lousy t-shirt...give me a nice UA scarf, hat, etc. and I'll be outa my seat trying to out jump the guy behind me. I don't even bother to get up for the t-shirts.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12141816/milwaukee-bucks-shoot-cold-weather-gear-crowd

I think it would build long term allegiance (especially if we just keep winning) to reach out to High Schools and youth programs. I see a few a year but given the amount of schools and youth leagues you could have multiples there every game. Tickets would need to be discounted but on most games there are plenty of empty seats so it would still be an added bonus. Our CYO program goes to the TUC. They get to go on the court for the player intros for high fives and are highlighted no the overhead screen many times throughout the game. Kids love it. The BBall leaves something to be desired by kids like "the show" aspect.

We did the P&G and when the players went into the crowd my son got some one on one time w/ Dallas. He's a fan for life. Some of it really is simple.

To those who think good food and beer (yes, i now know we sell beer in the back corner secret room)...

Now you're making me feel special! :)

It's so secret that it's in a room with see-through doors that Athletics hosts public events, selection shows and press conferences in dozens of times a year..and joined by probably 100 or so fans on a good day at halftime. Next home game..stop in and say you're with BPF..maybe you'll get a free drink ticket out of it!

Sorry, but you're not that special! They actually announce the beer for sale in the HOF room over the loudspeakers.

I don't mind the trek from the parking lot around the SEFCU to the entrance. But, let's face it, the walk does reinforce the image of the concrete jungle. If they flipped the entrance around and made it more appealing it would help. They could build an atrium with some character. It could be planned so that it would be useful during the football season. I'm unsure about the legalities of beer in the stands but there is no question that if possible it would help. My buddies and I do enjoy watching a good game and having a couple of beers.

• 4 weeks later...

Great turnout last night for the BPG. To achieve these kind of numbers on a regular basis is entirely possible, but I don't think that it will happen without upgrades to SEFCU or, more likely, a new facility. Outside of the die-hard fans, I think most people want chair backs and amenities. Winning is nice but outside of last night's BPG, winning is obviously not enough. Two straight NCAA appearances, and we are undefeated in conference play, and going over 3000 in attendance is still tough for a home game in league play unless we get good student turnout?

We can't ask the team to do anything more. They are 11-0. There are plenty of basketball fans in this area to sell out every home game. But this facility might just be too outdated to ever accomplish such a feat. We'll get there. It's a process that takes time and money.