UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Siena Contract ... Basketball

I had a nice pair of conversations with AD Mark Benson over the past week ... I was impressed ... I strongly encourage others to contact him with your take on the UA/Siena basketball contract ... it was clear to me that he understands the inequity and indicated in no uncertain terms that he would be seeking a more balanced contract in the next "negotiation" (2015 and beyond), but it can't hurt for him to hear directly from the members of this board to hammer home the message ... change is in the air

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job 92 .I am sure he has heard that a few times already .I have seen him a few times already at various sports and mentioned that I have seen various Danes teams play at 88 venues (in the various sports), but there is one place you won't see me.(until there is a fair contract).

Can't someone anonymously send AD Benson a transcript of the "$iena contract issues" from this blog over the years. I say this half in jest, but it certainly has been covered extensively by BPF.

I too have had conversations about this with him and he is very well aware of all of the issues.

• 4 weeks later...

Let me tell you, that is the best article written on the series. Ever. It is refreshing to hear how important this is to all parties, from all the people that count. Further, I have a feeling that AD Benson's strength is "people". It's an overused cliche however, it was something that McElroy had great difficulty with, in my opinion.

I not only think this gets done equitably, I wouldn't be surprised to see Benson and D'Arg get this game on national television at some point. Those two words alone--National Television--would amp up the fan bases and lead to a sell out. People always want to be part of something big...and a game on ESPN is big.

This needs to be pulled out Sienas season ticket package and sold as a standalone game. This game doesn't draw what it draws because Siena is playing, it draws because Siena AND UA are playing. Meaning, we are the equatable half of this successful arrangement and should get equitable treatment.

Signing any contract to what we have now with it staying part of Sienas season ticket package and us pushed into the corners is simply NOT acceptable!

My 2 cents.........So the article claims that the TU is a neutral court that is also Sienas home court. if thw ADs and city want to keep the game there why not switch out the actual court for a UA home court for a "home and home" type of game. I agree this game is not as highly anticipated in the past few years. I mean you can not fit 11000 in sefcu. If the gamw continues to be a Siena home game the albany faithful will become less and less. I know WB said at the end of the article that he doesnt want to paint the court purple but if given that chance i bet he would. Or we can just fill sefcu with as many siena fans that brave the 20 min drive.

Guys...I think you are ALL missing the point. With respect. Brown is clear, who cares about the actual court, and yes, I 100% believe him. He would like nothing better than to beat the SNOT out of Siena on their floor. And to be honest, no way they are changing the court or colors for the game, HUGE dollars for a court...like in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not more (I worked at the TUC when they got a new court back in the 90's, and it was in the low hundreds of thousands).

This is all about financial equity...simple. After the University takes their share to fund the athletic department, coaches use the income from their games for program building activities (recruiting budgets, salary, locker room upgrades, office amenities, etc.).

My bet is Benson gets this done.

Edited by Dane96

Guys...I think you are ALL missing the point. With respect. Brown is clear, who cares about the actual court, and yes, I 100% believe him. He would like nothing better than to beat the SNOT out of Siena on their floor. And to be honest, no way they are changing the court or colors for the game, HUGE dollars for a court...like in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not more (I worked at the TUC when they got a new court back in the 90's, and it was in the low hundreds of thousands).

This is all about financial equity...simple. After the University takes their share to fund the athletic department, coaches use the income from their games for program building activities (recruiting budgets, salary, locker room upgrades, office amenities, etc.).

My bet is Benson gets this done.

Bingo.

Though I do not think it's lost of either Brown or Benson that there are other school sport rivalries that do swap venues each year even if one is smaller than the other. This is an article, and they are doing negotiations so I'm sure these are PC quotes.

I know they are in the same conference...and I'm sure there may be a non-conference rival example out there, but think of Duke and UNC. Duke's venue only holds 10K and UNCs holds 20K. There will be people who want to go to the game when it's at Duke but can't because it sells out. Now I do get that it's a conference game, so they have to have their own courts, but it's more of the concept that there will be some games more people want to go to in an area than space and that's fine and people deal with it.

I'm sure someone else may know another sports rival that aligns more like the one we have with Siena, it's just Duke having a smaller arena jumped out at me.

On another note I also think there are some UA fans who want to have the ability for anyone to come see the game (always at the TU due to size) mindset. People who think ... "the capital district needs these two teams because there's nothing to do here and we want to grow college basketball interest in the area. So lets get as many people there." I'm not from the capital district so I have no real need or care to help the area's college basketball fandom. I like my team and want to see my team play at home. It may be selfish but it's honest. Personally I feel it's better for UA to get their alums on CAMPUS not at the TU. If you're an alum who goes to no UA events except the Siena/UA game at the TU, I'd prefer your butt to be in the SEFCU rooting on your team every other year. I want you to walk/drive by Bob Ford Field, new tennis courts, new business school buildings to get to the game. That way we can try to engage that person to come and support the school more than once a year. I think you're more likely to get that person to become more engage if they are on campus once a year than if they are at the TU looking at the Siena court logos every year.

Just my 2 cents on a horse that's been beating to death. Though I'm sure we'll see a shakeup on this as it won't be done if there are not changes to the current agreement.