UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[MBB] Game #12: 12/12/17 - 9:00pm - @ Memphis

Eli

This is, unfortunately, one of those games where David goes Gung Ho and shoots us out of the game with stupid shots. Love the kid but sometimes he relapses into what looks like maybe HS habits and doesn't play within the team offense.

Edit: Joe isnt doing much better from the floor, all things considered.

You're kidding, right?

Without David taking those shots...we'd have lost by 15.

He simply missed buckets. Definitely some blame to go-around in a winnable game that the guys will rue...moreso than the Monmouth loss (maybe)...but the blame doesn't lay at David's feet.

Simply put, Charles, Cremo, and Campbell didn't have particularly great evenings. Can't win against an AAC team without those guys. If even one of them had been on...we may win this thing. But, the reality is we missed shots that we generally make...and Memphis was long, which definitely had an impact around the hoop (11 blocks).

Live.Learn.Move on.

• Like 2

The inside play was brutal, I was right there, and there were many mismatches, all in Memphis favor. Unlike the rest of our games, we couldn't rebound away poor first shots. I think guys have been spoiled by the clean up crew. Memphis wasn't having it. Great stadium, great town, glad they made it a game - staying at The Peabody, highly recommended.

Their length was just too much. I had a feeling that would be a problem. Memphis is not great, any other team from a high major conference would have smacked us by 25+ last night.

Somehow managed to stay in the the game and had a chance to take the lead after it was tied at 45.

I felt our kids at time were intimidated...especially Campbell and Conway.......we all know for the most part Nichols/Cremo are going to carry us win or lose and having them shoot 10-30 hurts...Stire did about as well as we can expect being undersized but he was very good on the D boards....Charles was able to get a few buckets in the 2nd half when allowed to go one-on-one with his back to basket....this is a disappointing loss because it was a very winnable game....have to get the Golden Griffin game Saturday night....play respectable against the Cards and hopefully beat Kent St before beginning league play....12-3 is really good...if we get to 12-3....looking forward to the rest of the season!!!

• Like 2

When we played up a level, Bob Ford would say (not an exact quote) that we were a step slow and a few pounds light. After watching UA play up basketball for a number of years now; I've come to the conclusion it is not speed or bulk we lack, but ARM LENGTH. The first time I saw us against syacuse's 2-3 zone, it seemed their players arms scraped the floor, I always thought this had to be an optical illusion. Now i feel every time we play up, it is not speed or jumping that kills us but REACH!

Good effort @ times yesterday; but too many careless turnovers, too many shots blocked and too may steals. Cut down a little on each of these and we win?

Edited by dslyank

To me it’s a combination of length (height plus arms) added to superior athletic ability, top to bottom. Their bench out scored ours something like 38-5. Rebounding was pretty even and only Charles was close to fouling out. So it wasn’t a blowout in any sense of the word. We just needed to play better to have a chance to win. LCC hangover?

Did anyone see the two plays, one on a drive and one on a contested rebound, where a Memphis player literally bounced off of Stire like they hit a brick wall? I know there was at least one comment from the announcers on the one in the lane. He is one solid dude.

Eleven blocks? Those long arms again. They were altering shots like crazy.

Definitely was a winnable game but the comments about Nichols are the same we heard about Jamar Wilson and I feel unfair. It's tough to be asked to create shots late in the shot clock against long defenders who have help behind them. I give him credit for taking on the responsibility/task and keeping head up.

• Like 4

Some of you guys attribute this loss to a poor game by Cremo - and others - (even the announcer alluded to him being in his head)...but he had just as crappy a percentage from the floor as David but Nichols gets a pass. It's silly.

Our bigger issue last night was untimely turnovers, lack of effort on some lazy passes...but in a game like this those few heat checks are doubly inefficient.

Any way...it is what it is. On to the next one.

Edited by Eli

My take on the game. When everyone starts saying you look awful, is that many times it's the level of competition makes you look awful, I coached many years in another sport (hockey) and I can't tell you how many times you look at opponents play and depending on the competition get an incorrect opinion as to their strength. The athletes Memphis had were generally better than Albany's. I agree with Eli about some of the turnovers. To me there are bad turnovers and worse turnovers. When a player gets a charge, that's a turnover the same as getting stripped or making a horrible pass. We have too many crappy turnovers. When playing superior athletes you really need to value your possessions. Not getting a shot on a possession is a killer when you are playing up. You might get away with it when you are the superior team. I thought we competed pretty well. We out rebounded them, which wasn't a minor thing. shot 80% FTs. Shot 46+% in second half after shooting < 25% in the first.

Feels to me like we lost this thing in the first 15 minutes of the game when were a trainwreck. The second half they were much better but had to expend a lot of energy to get back in the game.

Both teams were a train wreck lol. I think it was scoreless three minutes in!

Almost as bad as the start of the 2015 America East championship game

Edited by UA'08

For me, it was the low shooting percentage, and how much it looked like the team was out of control at times, especially in the first half.

I'm not sure if it's coaching, or mental make up, or what, but for the last few years there always seems to be stretched where the team just looks bad. Last year it was the last part of the SBU game on Long Island that led to the epic collapse. Multiple 3-5 minute stretches where nothing goes right. The last 2 minutes of last year's chip game. Last night it was the last few minutes where the game went from tied to down 9 in just a few possessions. It happened in the Monmouth loss as well.

If it happens early enough, the team typically finds a way to get past it and beat teams on their level or below, but if it happens at the wrong time, especially against a higher level opponent (like UConn in 06) we just can't get over it.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, but to get to the next level as a program they need to figure out how to put a full 40 minutes together on a consistent basis.

Unbelievable. Not using our heads.

We are good but not athletic enough to beat talented opposing guards off the dribble, especially with all of the travelling calls being made. Ball movement, cutters, screens, and constant off-the-ball movement will be needed to beat teams like Louisville and UVM, the latter of which looked very good against LCC on Monday.

Edited by UA_MA_2000

I'm not trying to be critical either. I'm amazed at how well they are playing, and just a few years ago, I never would have had close to a negative thought about keeping a game against Memphis close.

We are getting high expectation syndrome!

I was saying to someone today, as a ualbany fan I never thought I'd d be aggravated about a road loss to Memphis. You are right about high expectation syndrome but we had some help getting those expectations.