UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Let's Fix SEFCU!

I don't directly know who was affected by displacement although I heard of some offices being moved in the summer. Nor do I think every think you do has to be a huge positive. A small positive is good enough for me. It was nice to have some people on our campus that might not otherwise have been there. I recognized some of our players in various sports working at the camp. We had a couple of alumni association events at the camp that we wouldn't otherwise have. Certainly much better than if LCC was able to host a camp and the giants went there .

Obviously I wouldn't go building facilities for the giants ahead of facilities for Albany, but of things to complain about the giants being here for the number of years they were would not be on my complaint list

You are entitled to your list...;)

100%. We don't need a $15 million field house, though it would be nice. We need enough space to fit an indoor track for meets, a scoreboard for indoor track, and a field turf surface inside the track that's 50-60 yds long to afford the field sports some inside venue. You put maybe 1000 seats in the facility. And you are done. The most expensive cost, aside from obvious construction costs, is the heating and the bathrooms.

Most of these really expensive facilities are because they are putting sports performance and meeting rooms in the facility. For us, that's set to go in the endzone facility...so no need.

Here's a great article on the subject:

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/gym-fieldhouse/designing-the-modern-college-football-practice-facility.html

Not that I am recommending anything; but if you want the GIANTS back, this is NOT going to get it done.

Also, I am still curious why the corner screens were switched out for the last game. Anyone in the KNOW?

Why on earth would we want the Giants back? What exactly the benefit to UA or our athletic program?

What do you have against my giants .

If we don't have the facilities that they want , so be it . But how was it a bad thing that while they were here they brought people to our campus and athletic facilty. Our arena and football stadium have also been used for high school games . I don't see that as a problem either even though I have never gone to any of those games

All I know is they displaced our teams and coaches, never donated 5 cents to any facilities etc. They used UA...what were the benefits of them being here?

To get this out of the way, I'm not a Giants fan but there were benefits to them being on campus.

If you're a college program, having an NFL team come to town is a positive.

-I think some of our players were doing internships with the Giants when they were here. Can't be a bad thing.

-Gobs on NY media on campus. I think some of our coaching staff's relationship with NY media were developed/enhanced during that time.

-It got people who like football coming to a place we play football. Granted that would probably help more now with the stadium and being in the CAA.

-Having training camp reports on ESPN from UAlbany didn't hurt.

No doubt there were negatives but if you want a big-time sports environment on campus they gave it to us.

Back to the Sefcu fixing.

One thing that doesn't seem like it would be that expensive but is pretty bad for new fans are the ticket lines. The way the box office set up, when there's a descent sized crowd buying tickets the line stretches right in front of the doors to enter Sefcu. It's pretty confusing. I saw it again this weekend at the Federation Tournament.

I don't directly know who was affected by displacement although I heard of some offices being moved in the summer. Nor do I think every think you do has to be a huge positive. A small positive is good enough for me. It was nice to have some people on our campus that might not otherwise have been there. I recognized some of our players in various sports working at the camp. We had a couple of alumni association events at the camp that we wouldn't otherwise have. Certainly much better than if LCC was able to host a camp and the giants went there .

Obviously I wouldn't go building facilities for the giants ahead of facilities for Albany, but of things to complain about the giants being here for the number of years they were would not be on my complaint list

The Giants built a state of the art practice facility and field house next to Met Life stadium. I don't think they even go anywhere else for training camp. From what I've heard the team and the coaches like being in their facility for training camp, sleeping in their own beds, using their own meetings rooms and offices, etc.

If a new arena could pay for itself it would be easy. Fill the SEFCU for every men's and women's basketball games and then find other events which would fill the arena with paying fans and you could justify spending the money. I'm not a fan of boxing or mma but these events would fill a 5000 seat arena. At $45 bucks a head your talking serious money.

No offense to our beloved SEFCU Arena, but the only way we are going to get 3rd party performances/events in that places is after a remodel. If I was an event promoter for anything other than basketball, that's the last place I'd try to get my event to. It's good for basketball, kind of, that's about it.

When I was 18, I worked the Giants training camp for the summer as a member of the Boscovs team that ran the merchandise tent. Honestly, I don't remember any of that. Granted, I didn't really know players back then, but I don't recall seeing ANY UAlbany involvement at the camp other than maybe an additional bump in ushers for the Jets/Giants scrimmage.

Got a Giants ball (with a list of important victories on the ball) signed by a bunch of people like Strahan, Coughlin, Osi, and some others.

Edited by Ilko

If a new arena could pay for itself it would be easy. Fill the SEFCU for every men's and women's basketball games and then find other events which would fill the arena with paying fans and you could justify spending the money. I'm not a fan of boxing or mma but these events would fill a 5000 seat arena. At $45 bucks a head your talking serious money.

No offense to our beloved SEFCU Arena, but the only way we are going to get 3rd party performances/events in that places is after a remodel. If I was an event promoter for anything other than basketball, that's the last place I'd try to get my event to. It's good for basketball, kind of, that's about it.

When I was 18, I worked the Giants training camp for the summer as a member of the Boscovs team that ran the merchandise tent. Honestly, I don't remember any of that. Granted, I didn't really know players back then, but I don't recall seeing ANY UAlbany involvement at the camp other than maybe an additional bump in ushers for the Jets/Giants scrimmage.

Got a Giants ball (with a list of important victories on the ball) signed by a bunch of people like Strahan, Coughlin, Osi, and some others.

I made the trip up every year when the Giants were there to watch practice and saw at least 3-4 athletes per year working at the camp. A couple of them were from the basketball team and a couple from the football team. Not that it matters anyway since the Giants won't be going anywhere for training camp anytime soon.

As for SEFCU, I had a chance to chat with Coach Brown after the championship game at Across the Street Pub and we briefly talked about SEFCU and his list, I'm sure is longer, but started with chairbacks, filling in the corners and scoreboard. He also mentioned the ticket office being on the wrong side.

I made the trip up every year when the Giants were there to watch practice and saw at least 3-4 athletes per year working at the camp. A couple of them were from the basketball team and a couple from the football team. Not that it matters anyway since the Giants won't be going anywhere for training camp anytime soon.

As for SEFCU, I had a chance to chat with Coach Brown after the championship game at Across the Street Pub and we briefly talked about SEFCU and his list, I'm sure is longer, but started with chairbacks, filling in the corners and scoreboard. He also mentioned the ticket office being on the wrong side.

Exactly.

Coach knows, staff knows.. its not that they don't know what needs to be fixed. They just need $$$$$$. Which in a budget process where the Gov wants only a 2% growth which has to include inflation that creates difficulties to get new adds in each year. We shall see if the Gov Relation staff can get us some extra money. We need donations and state resources.

Edited by MsGDG

Exactly.

Coach knows, staff knows.. its not that they don't know what needs to be fixed. They just need $$$$$$. Which in a budget process where the Gov wants only a 2% growth which has to include inflation that creates difficulties to get new adds in each year. We shall see if the Gov Relation staff can get us some extra money. We need donations and state resources.

Yup. It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$....

I was just in North Carolina and spent some time on the campus of NC State. It is amazing to me the resources and facilities some state schools around the country have. Yes, I know they get a lot from donations but they also get a lot from the state. I also know we can't compare since there are only a few schools there compares to many SUNY schools but was still amazed. I played golf on their campus golf course and they have a brand new clubhouse which rivals a lot of country clubs around the country. Again, I know we can't compare but still crazy.

Exactly.

Yup. It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$....

I was just in North Carolina and spent some time on the campus of NC State. It is amazing to me the resources and facilities some state schools around the country have. Yes, I know they get a lot from donations but they also get a lot from the state. I also know we can't compare since there are only a few schools there compares to many SUNY schools but was still amazed. I played golf on their campus golf course and they have a brand new clubhouse which rivals a lot of country clubs around the country. Again, I know we can't compare but still crazy.

We've also been D1 for a short time. I'm sure in 50 years we will be amazed at how far we have come.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those of us who aren't really into state/local politics (I try to be informed but it's not always easy)...this is good because? Doesn't this basically mean, "If SB can't get money for sports from the state, neither can UA"? How is that good news? Otherwise SB and their political backers would whine, etc.

• Like 1