UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Lacrosse 2016-2017

Looks like Oakes not returning for his senior year:

(Inside Lacrosse Photo: Rich Barnes)

Seth Oakes is no longer at Albany, head coach Scott Marr confirmed Friday. Oakes is eligible for the National Lacrosse League draft, which will be held Monday.
Oakes will likely be a first-round draft pick in the draft.
Oakes played two years at Albany, leading the Great Danes in goals last season with 44 and earning Honorable Mention All-America honors last season. He won a NJCAA national championship at Onondaga Community College in 2013, scoring 22 goals in eight games.

I guess academics which was always an issue for him caught up. Could be a tough year; but @ least 3 stud recruits committed for 2017-2018 {including Nanticoke #1 17-18 recruit in the country.} I do not know too much about the 16-17 class; anyone with knowledge, I'd love to hear my "tough year" fear is WRONG.

I believe UA is playing a fall ball tournament @ Hopkins mid October.

Edited by dslyank

• 4 weeks later...

From Inside Lacrosse @ Hopkins fall ball tournament:

Albany’s New Special Teams Stars Stand Out

Albany’s offensive philosophy is still alive and well if Sunday’s any indication. The Great Danes pushed the ball continuously and attacked Richmond’s defense aggressively through the afternoon matchup.

Junior Connor Fields is in full control of the team’s attack unit, working alongside freshman Jakob Peterson and a mix of junior Justin Reh and freshman Mitch Laffin. The midfield is deep as ever.

Goalie and face-offs were the Danes two high-profile questions marks heading into 2016-2017 fallball. All-American goalie Blazer Riorden graduated, and the Danes were a solid but unspectacular 35th in the nation last year in face-off win percentage.

Against Richmond, Power 100 freshman T.D. Ierlan stood out at the face-off X, pushing the ball forward or to his wings consistently. He’s a nice piece for Albany, headlining a group that includes sophomore Zach Ornstein and senior Connor Russell.

“That was one of the best face-off performances we’ve had in my time at Albany,” coach Scott Marr told IL contributor Lena Welch after the day’s games. “I thought all three of our kids did a fantastic job. We had the ball quite a bit, which was nice.”

In goal, redshirt junior J.D. Colarusso started for the Danes, and should be the go-to keeper in the spring. He’s only 5-8, but has quick hands, and good speed outside of the cage to help push the ball to the midfield for transition. Freshman Nate Sikierski also saw time, he’s a big body (6-3) who was most comfortable in-between the pipes.

“JD played outstanding as our starting goalie for us, and our freshman did a really nice job,” Marr said. “I was very pleased no doubt. I’m sure the big talk will be that we don’t have Blaze anymore, but I thought JD stepped in today and gave us a lot of good energy.”

Better X play is music to my ears! What's eye-opening is a look at the D1 commits from the class of 2016. Albany has one of the top 100 seniors, Ierlan. The regular "power" teams like Va, Hopkins, 'cuse, etc have 4-6-8 top 100s

coming in as Freshmen. It's no wonder they have such a lock on the top. Teams like Albany have to rely on the diamonds in the rough and maxing out ability in order to compete. That one top 100 though is a great get for UA compared to other AE teams, especially in such an important spot as face off.

Better X play is music to my ears! What's eye-opening is a look at the D1 commits from the class of 2016. Albany has one of the top 100 seniors, Ierlan. The regular "power" teams like Va, Hopkins, 'cuse, etc have 4-6-8 top 100s

coming in as Freshmen. It's no wonder they have such a lock on the top. Teams like Albany have to rely on the diamonds in the rough and maxing out ability in order to compete. That one top 100 though is a great get for UA compared to other AE teams, especially in such an important spot as face off.

I've said it before, you can't compete with academics.

Maybe I'm wrong on this but most of these kids major in pretty basic stuff. For every kid like Peter Hooley who got like 20 degrees upon graduating (lol), there are 100 more who major in something like Business Administration or Media or Marketing. That being said, I would be shocked if Syracuse (for example) was night and day compared to our business school, etc. I can see Hopkins or something being way above our level, but SU? For an athlete? Nah.

I'm doing quite well with my UA education, all things considered.

Edited by Eli

Maybe I'm wrong on this but most of these kids major in pretty basic stuff. For every kid like Peter Hooley who got like 20 degrees upon graduating (lol), there are 100 more who major in something like Business Administration or Media or Marketing. That being said, I would be shocked if Syracuse (for example) was night and day compared to our business school, etc. I can see Hopkins or something being way above our level, but SU? For an athlete? Nah.

SU might not be, but between the Ivy's, ND, JHU, UVA, and Duke there's no comparison.

SU might not be, but between the Ivy's, ND, JHU, UVA, and Duke there's no comparison.

We've discussed this before and I agree with '08 on this. The best players generally want to play at the highest level they can. When you can play at the highest level AND at a top academic school, that's a little rarer.

The numbers speak for themselves: (2016 top 100 seniors)

Cornell 4

Duke 6

Georgetown 5

Harvard 7

JHU 7

Maryland 7

Michigan 5

UNC 6

ND 4

Penn 6

Princeton 3

Syracuse 4

UVA 8

Yale 4

Those 14 schools have 76% of the top 100 recruits. I'm not doing this to diss UA as an academic school, but it's tough competition even with UA's success on the field.