UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Nano College

Michigan_Dane

Next time I get a minute with president Jones I intend to ask him about Albany Law. I've had some correspondence with the Dean of Albany Law and the head of their Board of Trustees. They did not dismiss the idea and said they would explore it. That was about 6 months ago though.

Big event at the Hearst Tower this Thursday. I'll ask around there too. It would be a great thing for both schools and for the SUNY system.

Edited by danefan

A few points of interest on the Albany Law School issue:

1. Dan Nolan is now the Albany Law School Board of Trustees Chair/President. For those of you who don't know Dan, he is a Football Alumni, donated a ridiculous amount of money to the stadium and is a super nice guy.

2. Albany law has been sending tons of emails and mailings to alumns lately explaining the issues they are having (drop in enrollment, funding, etc...).

The time is right for this to happen.

Edited by danefan

• 2 weeks later...

Looks guaranteed that SUNY IT and SUNY Nano College are merging. The Chancellor is for it and it passed a vote.

Why again does CNSE need to separate from UA but merge with SUNYIT? Doesn't the argument for separation conflict with the argument to merge?

http://www.dailygazette.com/news/2014/mar/18/nanocollege-merge-sunyit/

Edited by SoCal_Dane

Who knows, this might be better for the state in the long run but it is definitely bad for Albany which pisses me off. Kaloyeros must be talking a big game with Cuomo and he is grabbing for more power. See bold below:

“The combination of partnerships between SUNYIT and CNSE should become the affordable education — MIT of New York,” nanocollege CEO Alain Kaloyeros said during the meeting. Kaloyeros will be named as chief executive of the combined institutions.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Kaloyeros spearheaded the development of a $125 million computer chip commercialization center at SUNYIT, which is expected to be up and running by the end of this year.

I find it interesting that it President Jones' letter today to the UA community (faculty, students, admin, others), sent via email, he says what you expect the President to say, but he uses two sports analogies . . . he refers to the faculty's expertise and its "bench strength," and later he says, "And I will be asking you to work with me as part of my team." It's a small thing, but it also shows he is comfortable to use (and not embarrassed about using) images relating to athletics.

I feel like UA passed on every girl in hopes of going to the prom with the super model. After telling everyone about this amazing prom date the super model backs out and UA is left dateless.

I hear everyone not to stress about it but it feels like insult to injury. The SUNYIT twist is just insulting.

Merger approved by SUNY Board of Trustees today, to be known as SUNY Institute for Nanoscale Science, Engineering and Technology, aka SUNY INSET, or as one commenter put it State University College of Alain.

Albany's Nanotech center is now its own SUNY college

Vows exchanged for Nanocollege SUNYIT marriage

No one knows how long this will last.

Future governors, chancellors etc may look at 2 SUNY institutions sitting across the street from one another and say this is stupid. They could be merged again in 10 years.

Cuomo won't be governor forever, Zimpher won't be chancellor forever. Kalyeros is not a young man. New leaders may see the absurdity in this decision.

What happens if the new governor is fiscally conservative and stops the money flow to Nano? Does it all come crashing down?

What if technology changes? Can this one trick pony adapt without endless government money?

We'll see how smart this decision is in 10, 20 years. Steel mills seemed like a good idea in the 1900s. You don't see many of those around the US.

Personally I hope they fail. I suspect they will when the money slows or stops. New York won't write $1B checks for speculative corporate ventures forever. Both liberal and conservative leaders could stop this for different reasons.

Yuck it up Cuomo a Kalyeros. The music doesn't go on forever.

In the meantime you DO NOT GIVE AWAY things {especially LAND as valuable as what UA possesses} for NOTHING????????????????

"All NanoCollege land, facilities, equipment, resources, employees and students under the administrative authority of UAlbany are being transferred to SUNY IT" ??????????????????????????????

I am guessing it can be argued the facilities, equipment, employees and students do not directly belong to UA. Even though giving them up is certainly costing us MUCH. But taking the LAND, is a literal theft of assets???????????????????

Edited by dslyank