UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I feel bad for the Defense because they are really productive. The Offense needs to get figured out.

I'm sure when it was said that defense wins games they didn't intend that to mean with limited to no offensive output. You still have to score.

There is nothing to figure out. Gattuso has been here for close to a half a decade and can't find a decent QB.

Hate to nitpick but Gattuso hasn't been here for close to half a decade. He was hired in 2014.

I also understand the frustration with Sussman but I can't see trotting out a QB who hasn't started a game out at Villanova. It just seems like a recipe for disaster.

I actually agree with this; Sussman has to, and should start. However, if the hiccups come in regular fashion, I strongly believe we should get Brunson some PT. He's already through his redshirt year, and if a loss is brewing to a head against 'Nova, you might as well get him game experience. Crook is a Senior next year...while Brunson is a RSoph and Jake Thompson is a RFr. Currently, they, along with Sussman, are the presumptive future.

So, if there is nothing left to lose during that 'Nova game...get Brunson some snaps.

I am a bit disappointed in myself for posting the way I did yesterday because these student-athletes are great kids...so my apologies to the players. However, I just see little progression in a position that is so important to the growth of the team, and that bore out in my criticism of a particular player. Many times I don't think it is due to the QB (play-calling is somewhat basic)...but we simply need more production.

The use the word "we" is because while this game is about the team on the field and their interactions, friendships, goals, etc., the University is trying to build a program...and that includes the fan-base who come out to see the games. The product has to grow. We are most certainly ahead of schedule in some areas...but in others we are not. We need to keep the 7800 fan average momentum alive.

A non-executing offense doesn't help the cause. That onus should not be put at the feet of one player.

As I was out enjoying a beautiful Fall day I did not see the game, rather getting update snippets on the iPhone and hearing the 104.5 call in the last few minutes. So it's hard to comment on Sussman's performance. Numbers don't lie though. I too am frustrated by the lack of a consistent CAA level QB at this stage. Neven has shown some flashes and certainly has a rocket arm. There appears to be no confidence in his ability to make short throws, touch passes and the like. I can't remember where I saw it, but it may have been in the Richmond fan forum....a comment about UA's "Pop Warner" offense. I've mentioned this in the past...our OC (according to his Bio) has only one year of OC experience at the HS level....Brunson's HS. The question I have for those calling for Brunson is, his HS coach is the team OC...if he's not playing there's got to be a reason. Maybe he's further behind in development than the others. GG has not been shy about running true or red shirt freshmen out there out of necessity or a belief that they are the best at their positions. So I've gotta think Sussman is the best we've got at this point.

UA has thrived all season on not giving away the big play...and they did it three times in one game. So that was a killer. As said above, opposing defenses know UA tends to be a one trick pony right now and the QB can't carry the game as a passer. I could not believe he took a bad sack on 2nd down with the game on the line. I agree that Villanova will probably dominate.

Maine reports a stadium record crowd of 10,443.

Edited by jimbo

As I was out enjoying a beautiful Fall day I did not see the game, rather getting update snippets on the iPhone and hearing the 104.5 call in the last few minutes. So it's hard to comment on Sussman's performance. Numbers don't lie though. I too am frustrated by the lack of a consistent CAA level QB at this stage. Neven has shown some flashes and certainly has a rocket arm. There appears to be no confidence in his ability to make short throws, touch passes and the like. I can't remember where I saw it, but it may have been in the Richmond fan forum....a comment about UA's "Pop Warner" offense. I've mentioned this in the past...our OC (according to his Bio) has only one year of OC experience at the HS level....Brunson's HS. The question I have for those calling for Brunson is, his HS coach is the team OC...if he's not playing there's got to be a reason. Maybe he's further behind in development than the others. GG has not been shy about running true or red shirt freshmen out there out of necessity or a belief that they are the best at their positions. So I've gotta think Sussman is the best we've got at this point.

UA has thrived all season on not giving away the big play...and they did it three times in one game. So that was a killer. As said above, opposing defenses know UA tends to be a one trick pony right now and the QB can't carry the game as a passer. I could not believe he took a bad sack on 2nd down with the game on the line. I agree that Villanova will probably dominate.

Maine reports a stadium record crowd of 10,443.

From what I've read / heard of Brunson (right out of Gattuso's mouth) is that he is a "gunslinger". Then you have comments from many CAA coaches that Coach Gattuso has a style and that he knows what it is and doesn't veer from it. As an HC, you definitely have the ear of the OC, so it is not as if Bernard is operating in a vacuum.

Extrapolating all of those items, it is reasonable to infer that Gattuso is a bit gun-shy on using a gunslinger at this stage of UA's CAA development. He seems to like a more conservative offense that gets the 3-4 yards it needs. He had a very balanced offense at Duquense, always rooted in a solid but not spectacular QB (except for one really good one who we played...forgot his name) and a fantastic RB.

That said, I had no problem with them RS Brunson because he looked like he was the size of Angel Hair Pasta when he arrived on campus. Taking hits in college is much different than high school...even at the level of S. Carolina H.S. football. I also didn't have a problem with going with a healthy Crook or the Soph Sussman. See what you can get as they had experience.

However, now we are at that juncture where the staff needs to make a critical call: Go with Sussman and / or Crook to try to get to the playoffs...or give Brunson a shot. I think a loss to 'Nova pretty much puts our playoff chances on life support; we'd need to go undefeated thereon out. If we are at that point...that's when a decision needs to be made.

Sure it is only tape / video that I pulled off of the net over the years, but man I'd love to see what Brunson could do in a game. He had quite the arm, moxie...and seemed accurate.

Of course, I prefer that Sussman snap out of his funk. Let's also give him his due: he had at least two passes (likely more) that should have been caught for big plays. Frosh Reeves let two critical balls go right through his hands / flat out drop, respectively.

When it all comes down to it...Jimbo is probably right: what do we know about the quality / depth of the team; we don't see these guys practice day in and day out. I like the job that Gattuso has done with building this team so far.

Edited by Dane96

I found some highlights on one of the Bangor TV stations and the first two of the long TD passes were just perfect throws and the coverage was not terrible...they have good receivers. The last of the three was a jump ball and they made the play, UA didn't.

I was at the game.....a few observations:

*Albany was lucky to still be in the game at the end. Maine should have been up by double digits, but they kept shooting themselves in the foot.

*Maine has a QB with a big arm and a few BIG TIME receivers. Maine might have the best/deepest receiving corp in the CAA.......that was the major advantage for Maine.

* Very impressed with Albany's tenacity.......they played hard the entire game. I don't think that Albany had as much overall team speed as Maine did.

*Attendance......Maine had about 7K actually in the stands and another 5K in the tailgating area throughout the game. It was a huge overall crowd but definitely not a "record" for butts in the seats. On a side note.......I HATE that so many FCS programs are televised with cameras pointed at the half empty and smallish "visitor" stands.......it ALWAYS makes Maine's crowd and atmosphere look like crap.

Edited by mainejeff
  • Like 1

Mainejeff-- your observations are 100% accurate.

One thing I might add, and Jimbo...you can't see it from the highlights...I thought as much as UA had the tenacity to stay in the game until the end, Maine absolutely out-physicalled (yeah, not a word) us in the first half. They pushed us all over the place.

Edited by Dane96

Yesterday's game doesn't upset me or surprise me. It's exactly where I expected us to be at this point in the season.

The only thing that happened this year to surprise me so far is how AWFUL Buffalo is.

We're a middle of the road CAA team now which is actually ahead of where I thought we'd be.

I would also implore everyone to remember just how young this team is.