UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

since it's slow...

madDOG

...i'll just throw this out there.

Our uniforms are hideous. With the possible exception of B-ball, everything else looks terrible. Are our school colors Purple & Gold or Purple & Yellow?? By the looks of things, it's 'yellow'. And the purple is the most purpley purple you can find. James Madison is another school w/ P&G colors and they do it the best IMO. No yellow- GOLD, and a dark purple. We look like cartoons.

Discuss.

Yes, it's a slow day at work today :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our uniforms are hideous. With the possible exception of B-ball, everything else looks terrible. Are our school colors Purple & Gold or Purple & Yellow?? By the looks of things, it's 'yellow'. And the purple is the most purpley purple you can find. James Madison is another school w/ P&G colors and they do it the best IMO. No yellow- GOLD, and a dark purple. We look like cartoons.

Discuss.

I kind of feel you there. It's just TOO purple IMO.

Discuss.

Well - we are the SCOOBIES - right

:rolleyes:

We are purple and gold for goodness sake. I hate the black...I hate the yellow...I hate the UALBANY...but that is for a whole other day.

WE SHOULD BE LIKE WASHINGTON...TRUE PURPLE AND GOLD.

art5b.jpg

We are purple and gold for goodness sake. I hate the black...I hate the yellow...I hate the UALBANY...but that is for a whole other day.

WE SHOULD BE LIKE WASHINGTON...TRUE PURPLE AND GOLD.

art5b.jpg

YES. Washington P&G > *

OH, I hate UALBANY too.

I love the true purple and gold -- i.e., Washington, but I must admit I love the "UAlbany" logo and name ... .

As an alternative, however, I wouldn't want to see the cartoonish Dane on our helmets or uniforms, though I still like how we have a cartoon Dane (just like many schools have cartoonish characters representing their mascot). For example, I would much rather have a big UAlbany at center court in the SEFCU as opposed to a large Dane painted on the court.

The older dog better than the current one; at one time they had some schedule handouts with a logo they might have stolen from the Great Dane truck trailer company - the only one of the three I'd accept for the helmet.

gd4900-l.jpg

I love the true purple and gold -- i.e., Washington, but I must admit I love the "UAlbany" logo and name ... .

As an alternative, however, I wouldn't want to see the cartoonish Dane on our helmets or uniforms, though I still like how we have a cartoon Dane (just like many schools have cartoonish characters representing their mascot). For example, I would much rather have a big UAlbany at center court in the SEFCU as opposed to a large Dane painted on the court.

Agreed. No matter what color scheme we go with, I just want it consistent. I have about twenty UA (love name as well) items with about fifteen different color variations. As for the Dane; love the name, but hate the cartoonish look. UA or UAlbany on the school uniforms is much better.

Ok Dane96... I didn't bring up this topic. So it's only fair since it's up for discussion that I get in on this since it is my #1 pet peave... as you well know. Just endulge me... A man is entitled to a dream isn't he? I want a college tee shirt I don't have to explain.

Why "UAlbany"? If we want to be a national school, I think we should incorporate "New York" in the name... i.e. University of New York, New York Tech, Eastern New York, New York State, New York International or whatever. Just not any town names... I like Albany but it's a small city with little national name recognition. I hate to say it because I love Albany but it gets the same amount of respect as Erie, Allentown or Scranton, which is to say not much. Further more, as we all know most states name their flagships after the state and their second tier after the town (UF versus Jacksonville) Why is it so hard to follow the standard every other state follows.. two good examples: Michigan and Florida. I don't live in New York as I've said 1,000 times and I own dozens of UAlbany shirts (dumb pride despite my dislike of the name). I get a lot of puzzled looks. People ask, "is that Albany Georgia"? People try to pronounce UAlbany like "Ooobaly"... or I get the "why is your school named UAlbany? There isn't a UGainesville" These aren't quotes from dumb Georgians or southerners either since nobody in Atlanta is from Georgia, it's like LA. We're all transplants. It's from folks from California, Michigan, Ohio etc. I think recruiting a kid to "University of New York" or "New York Tech" or whatever would be a lot easier. I think selling a "University of New York" tee would be a lot easier. It already sounds "big time" and it doesn't even exist. Do you think everyone wearing a Yankees hat is a Yankees fan or is it because they're proud to be a New Yorker (especially outside of NY). Capitalize on that market.

I know this falls on deaf ears but that's my 2 cents.

Go Ooobaly!

(proud member of sunny)

Ok Dane96... I didn't bring up this topic. So it's only fair since it's up for discussion that I get in on this since it is my #1 pet peave... as you well know. Just endulge me... A man is entitled to a dream isn't he? I want a college tee shirt I don't have to explain.

Why "UAlbany"? If we want to be a national school, I think we should incorporate "New York" in the name... i.e. University of New York, New York Tech, Eastern New York, New York State, New York International or whatever. Just not any town names... I like Albany but it's a small city with little national name recognition. I hate to say it because I love Albany but it gets the same amount of respect as Erie, Allentown or Scranton, which is to say not much. Further more, as we all know most states name their flagships after the state and their second tier after the town (UF versus Jacksonville) Why is it so hard to follow the standard every other state follows.. two good examples: Michigan and Florida. I don't live in New York as I've said 1,000 times and I own dozens of UAlbany shirts (dumb pride despite my dislike of the name). I get a lot of puzzled looks. People ask, "is that Albany Georgia"? People try to pronounce UAlbany like "Ooobaly"... or I get the "why is your school named UAlbany? There isn't a UGainesville" These aren't quotes from dumb Georgians or southerners either since nobody in Atlanta is from Georgia, it's like LA. We're all transplants. It's from folks from California, Michigan, Ohio etc. I think recruiting a kid to "University of New York" or "New York Tech" or whatever would be a lot easier. I think selling a "University of New York" tee would be a lot easier. It already sounds "big time" and it doesn't even exist. Do you think everyone wearing a Yankees hat is a Yankees fan or is it because they're proud to be a New Yorker (especially outside of NY). Capitalize on that market.

I know this falls on deaf ears but that's my 2 cents.

Go Ooobaly!

(proud member of sunny)

I'm with ATLDANE all the way: Though I like the name "UAlbany," there is one name that I like better, and it's the flagship-ish name: University of New York!

Our purple is just to purple and our gold is to gold. We look like lollipops running around. Also, while we are on the subject, whats up with the black uniforms? That isn't even our color. Dial back the purple and gold a bit, as Dane96 said, make it more like Washington. IMO so much more attractive and pleasing to the eye then the in your face purple and gold.

I'm also on board with ATL_Dane, for Gods sake let's lay claim to the flagship university thing. Let Bingo be Bingo, Brook be Brook and Buffalo be Buffalo. Let's roll with University of New York and solidify our position in the state capital as the flagship campus. What does it take to get the name changed? Also, wasn't the governor talking about reworking the University system and designating one campus the flagship? If I'm not mistaken it would be much easier to get some money for the stadium if we were the flagship of the SUNY system.

Our purple is just to purple and our gold is to gold. We look like lollipops running around. Also, while we are on the subject, whats up with the black uniforms? That isn't even our color. Dial back the purple and gold a bit, as Dane96 said, make it more like Washington. IMO so much more attractive and pleasing to the eye then the in your face purple and gold.

I'm also on board with ATL_Dane, for Gods sake let's lay claim to the flagship university thing. Let Bingo be Bingo, Brook be Brook and Buffalo be Buffalo. Let's roll with University of New York and solidify our position in the state capital as the flagship campus. What does it take to get the name changed? Also, wasn't the governor talking about reworking the University system and designating one campus the flagship? If I'm not mistaken it would be much easier to get some money for the stadium if we were the flagship of the SUNY system.

Yeah, I'm with you on the name as well- I always hated the use of "at", and I dislike 'UAlbany'. University of New York is solid! It's marketable. It resonates. There's no explaining. Who do we need to talk to to get this done?? :)

Hey- I'll take it a step further. The official colors of NYS are Blue and Gold, and the official bird is the Bluebird. Get rid of Scooby, change the mascot to some badass Bluebird, dump the purple and replace with Blue and we got ourselves a FLAGSHIP!

Golisano supposedly pledged $100 million to Buffalo if they would change their name to The University of New York. Not sure what else he wanted but Central wouldn't go along with it. I think SUNY is doomed to live with four campuses all claiming to be flagships.

The Bluebirds? Tiny bug-eaters whose mortal enemy is the House Sparrow?

EasternbluebirdB9.jpg

I'm all for changing the name to the University of New York. The only drawback is, how many more name changes can we have. Even ask people who live in Albany to name the school and you'll get five different answers. Anyone agree?

Archived