UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Albany @ c-N-UH

Just thinking out loud.....any change in the starting lineup for this one? Perhaps Brian on Rossiter, Will on Ubiless, Jerel on Franklin? Would give us a more explosive starting five also more athletic team to start the game. Most of the guys can also handle the ball as c-N-UH will most likely come out trying to shell shock and awe us by pressing and trapping.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just thinking out loud.....any change in the starting lineup for this one? Perhaps Brian on Rossiter, Will on Ubiless, Jerel on Franklin? Would give us a more explosive starting five also more athletic team to start the game. Most of the guys can also handle the ball as c-N-UH will most likely come out trying to shell shock and awe us by pressing and trapping.

I noticed at one point near the end of the last game the five out there were Raffa, Ambrose, Hastings, Harris, and Brian C. I like that athletic starting five in addition to the experience with it (3 players from last year, a player from the ACC, and Raffa, with a year of experience against high major talent).

I noticed at one point near the end of the last game the five out there were Raffa, Ambrose, Hastings, Harris, and Brian C. I like that athletic starting five in addition to the experience with it (3 players from last year, a player from the ACC, and Raffa, with a year of experience against high major talent).

Yeh, I noticed that to and that's what got me thinking. Most of those kids play great D. We know about Jerel, Brian I think is an underrated defender (if that's possible), he is strong, very smart and is hardly if ever out of position. Will is long, quick and athletic.

Does anyone know if there's a line on this game?..or would there not be simply because it's between two lower conference teams?

The MAAC generally gets lines for their basketball games, the AE not (except in Post-season tournaments and early season neutral site tourneys.)

For this game I do not think there will be a line but I should know for certain by Friday.

I don't get it...why are there lines on MAAC games and no line on AE games? if I'm not mistaken, I even see lines on Patriot league games.

Does anyone know if there's a line on this game?..or would there not be simply because it's between two lower conference teams?

The MAAC generally gets lines for their basketball games, the AE not (except in Post-season tournaments and early season neutral site tourneys.)

For this game I do not think there will be a line but I should know for certain by Friday.

I don't get it...why are there lines on MAAC games and no line on AE games? if I'm not mistaken, I even see lines on Patriot league games.

"Line"'s are usually based on supply and demand. If there enough people looking to bet on a game, there will be a line. (That isn't a swipe against the America East) I don't beleive the MAAC games had lines set as recently as 2 or 3 years ago.

"Line"'s are usually based on supply and demand. If there enough people looking to bet on a game, there will be a line. (That isn't a swipe against the America East) I don't beleive the MAAC games had lines set as recently as 2 or 3 years ago.

I really don't pay attention to the lines, but I remember reading in the paper that the bartender/bookie from Washington Tavern who got arrested for bookmaking last year was taking bets on the UA-Siena game among many other things.

They are coming off of a very poor performance in the tournament down in Orlando where they did not play well..........The best that the MAAC had to offer got beat by a team picked ninth in the MVC..................I watched most of the games..........it was a bit shocking to see just how mentally fragile they showed themselves to be in Orlando. They had no confidence in their FT shooting; outside shooting was nonexistent, certain players forced way too much on offense, coaching was very subpar etc............ Bosi

I totally disagree with you!!!!!

1. There performance in Fla. was not great but they were in position to win two of those games against real solid teams.

2. Wichita State was picked 9th in the powerful MVC we were picked 7th in the AE. Wichita State was pretty damn talented.

3. I too watched the games except I was very impressed with Siena quickness and their traps.

4. Outside shooting have you watched UA recently shooting against must less talented teams?

5. Don't expect their FT shooting to stay that poor, I consider how they shot FT against O State an abberation.

I do fell if we can limit TOs that lead to break out baskets and dunks we can be in the hunt and if we shoot the ball decent we'll be very competitive.

As for $iena being banged up, every team is banged up. Expect $iena to be hyped up at the TUC in front of their home fans and thousands of others.

This would be a terrible loss for $iena and a great upset win for UA other than that it would just be an expected win by a top 50-75 team over a predicted lower level AE team.

Great post patch, I couldn't agree more with all you had to say. It kills me how many of the Saints fans are quick to panic when if Hasbrouck hit that runner and Siena hit just 60% of their free throws, they'd likely have won one more game. It was a very dissapoint performance, and I do believe the team is much better than they showed in Orlando, but it certainly isn't the end of the world.

As for Saturday's game, I think it all comes down to turnovers. If Siena protects the ball like they did last year and make it difficult for Albany's talented but relatively inexperienced guards to get comfortable, Siena should win. If Raffa and Johnson make good decisions with the ball, then UAlbany will likely be in it right to the end. As an Albany fan, I would gain a bit confidence in the fact that Coach Brown and his staff have been able to game plan/prepare for this game for 4 or 5 days, while Siena will be coming off a very long road trip. UAlbany will be prepared, both teams will be pumped up by the expected huge crowd and both have much to gain from a victory on Saturday.

Enjoy the game and good luck for the remainder of the season!!!

Quack - it's a great game for the fans and of course both teams and coaches want to win but what will really count for both programs are their conference tourneys.

No matter how good a season Siena has if they lose during the MAAC Tourney they probably aren't going to the NCAAs.

No matter how good or bad UA's season is it also comes down to their tourney.

If UA/ Siena win this Saturday's game I'm sure the coaches would gladly trade it in for winning their conference tourney.

The goal should be to see two Capitol District Teams in the NCAAs.

With that said GO DANES!!!!!!!!!!!

Quack - it's a great game for the fans and of course both teams and coaches want to win but what will really count for both programs are their conference tourneys.

No matter how good a season Siena has if they lose during the MAAC Tourney they probably aren't going to the NCAAs.

No matter how good or bad UA's season is it also comes down to their tourney.

If UA/ Siena win this Saturday's game I'm sure the coaches would gladly trade it in for winning their conference tourney.

The goal should be to see two Capitol District Teams in the NCAAs.

With that said GO DANES!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely, but in the battle for local attention, a win/loss in this game is huge. While the two teams do not compete in the same league, they are certainly competing for local fans, corporate sponsorship and media attention.

Personally, I hope Siena wipes the floor with the Danes :closedeyes: but then UAlbany wins 20+ games in a row.

This was the first season in a long time that the MAAC had a shot at an at large. Then siena had to go fall flat on their face in FL.... strangely... making many of the same mistakes they started last year off with. An at large is just about out of the question.. after the Kansas game i think that will be it for those thoughts.

This game means a lot to local establishments, the city as a whole, Siena as it is good income and UA ... as it is good income. UA also doesnt get the opportunity to play in an arena like the TUC in front of their home crowd that often. It provides a great atmosphere for the capital region and allows both programs to perhaps attract new fans.

From a coaching perspective if Im either coach i dont want to play this game. From McCaffrey's stand point... why risk an L when you can sign a bigger opponent not to mention have a true home court game rather than a semi-split home court with UA. From Browns perspective... why take an L that frequently.. when they could schedule a lesser opponent and have a better shot at a W... and of course also have it in their own gym which provides an advantage.

as a fan i like the atmosphere... i dont like the risk. It seems regardless of how good Siena is that UA finds a way to make a game of it... regardless of how bad they are.

ive often thought about a MAAC vs AE challenge of some sort but then again... I think its too much of a risk for either conference... ESPECIALLY when you factor in teams like St Peters, Canisius and Loyola... as UA saw last year with Canisius. Thats just plain too much of a risk to take an L against a 280 or > team. The same can be said about the bottom of the AE. With so few opportunities for the top tier of both conferences to make a splash in the OOC ... playing the top tier of the other and losing pretty much eliminates any benefit. Thats why scheduling A10, MAC, MVC, Patriot league teams is probably the right thing to do. A loss to St Joes doesnt damage you like a loss to Vermont or Rider etc.

Would love to see a sell out Saturday for the first time!

I am really looking forward to the game..I think it will be very close and hard fought...despite the disappointing outcomes the last 3 years it really has developed into a classic rivalry game and a Capital District "event" which is as it should be...

I would certainly expect C-N-Uh to press and trap early to try and put us away as they attempted last year, that's their style of play...how the Danes handle this early on will be telling in my view...at least to this point C-N-Uh, does not appear to have as much depth as last year's club at least thats how it seems to me anyway...I think the C-N-Uh Indians really miss Tay Fischer's quiet leadership and long range firepower...also we are deeper, quicker and overall more athletic than last year's bunch if the Danes keep it close and value the basketball early on, UA's depth may be the key to the Dane's stealing this one late....but it will be tough...everybody try to stay sober..and SAFE!

Yeh, I noticed that to and that's what got me thinking. Most of those kids play great D. We know about Jerel, Brian I think is an underrated defender (if that's possible), he is strong, very smart and is hardly if ever out of position. Will is long, quick and athletic.

I think we can expect to see a lot of Jerel Hastings on Saturday. In fact, I think he is crucial to our success on Saturday (in addition to everyone else). I think Hastings and Ubiles can do battle, while Brian C. should do just fine against anyone they put on him. I think Brian C. has played awesome this year. He is noticibly stronge, in addition to all these guys. And speaking of strength, I admire and approve of Coach's strategy to lift year round. Muscle breaks down so fast (matter of days), that lifting upper-body has to be done all season. That's the same reason that competitive distance runners have to run 5-7 days a week (those runners who run 5Ks and up in distance, for example, as I have from time to time).

Back to the LCC game, Siena has a young frontcourt, and I'd like to see Brian C., as well as the 2-headed monster at the 5 spot, have a downtown Albany soiree down low.

We must, must, must rebound. Siena will get open looks. They are quick enough to create open shots from outside, which is how they will try to beat us (in addition to inreasing the tempo).

As to the Harris factor, he is awesome for us, and just because he isn't putting up 20 points/game doesn't mean his presence is moot out there. Far from it! Moreover, I have noticed, at times, flashes of when he puts his game into "turbo mode." It might have been at the CCSU game where in the second half he seemed to really press the issue on offense driving to the hoop and picking up the intensity when we were having trouble scoring. When Harris goes into this "heightened state of intensity," look out; he cannot be contained.

Last year, I heard Siena fans start to talk about Ambrose in the second half and heard them remark at how impressed they were with his play. Ambrose will also be key for us on Saturday. Ambrose should be able to drive on these guys. When he does, I know we want our guys in position to rebound, but perhaps our other guard at that time can roll away from the point of double coverage (or whichever UA player has his Siena man roll over to double Ambrose, that UA guy could roll out a bit to get open for a 10-15 foot jump shot). Siena is going to be ready for Ambrose to take it to the hoop. Perhaps he can continue to do this but throw Siena's D off a bit by dishing to open perimeter shooters.

Giff seems, in my view, to always bring it against Siena. I've been more impressed than usual during the Siena games insofar as Giff is concerned, and I'm looking forward to his play. And Covington is just plain solid for us. He could perhaps be the most undervalued player on this team. For several years now, he seems, again in my view, to make fewer mistakes (from my amateur viewpoint) out there than many, in addition to doing a great job protecting the ball whether it be a rebound or grabbing the pass and passing it on to a teammate. He does it all, and as a UA fan, I always feel more at ease when he is on the floor and has the ball, whether it be in the post or up top in a set or motion offense.

McRae reminds me of Ubiles when I first saw him at that Marist game. He's going to come up with some exciting plays for us on both ends of the floor over the next few years! Strength, conditioning, and knowledge wise, Billy Allen is ready to make an impact, and as I noted in another thread, he is very active out there on the glass, and I again feel very comfortable as a fan when he is out there. Solid player for us, and I'd love to see him have a great game Saturday! And I'd love to see Barraza light it up from long-range and hit some key threes. We wont' win if we shoot poorly from outside. We just won't, because our motion offense just isn't that refined and cohesive yet. Gotta hit the open shots created by penetration.

If Siena presses us, perhaps Coach will go to the Johnson and Raffa combination. That would be very interesting, and if nothing else, give us the best opportunity to break the press. In the half-court set, it would be interesting to see Johnson not only drive for the purpose of scoring but also drive to the hoop in order to create shots for Raffa on the perimeter.

As far as our defensive sets, zone is probably no good against Siena because they will just light it up from outside. Thus, we're probably facing man-to-man coverage for most of the game. Just as well, since hopefully tough man-to-man defense by EVERY SINGLE guy who suits up on Saturday can wear Siena down just a tiny bit. The harder they work on offense, the better, even if our defensive efforts don't reveal themselves until the final play of the game! Accordingly, if it were me playing this game on XBox 360 and calling the shots, I would like to see Jerel on Kenny Hasbr., much like Carl Ross effectively guarded Trimboli in the Winter Bash out in Burlington in March 2007. Then again, K.H. for Siena is much better than Trimboli! And Ubiles is an animal. When Marist made a run for the Regular Season MAAC Title two years ago, I saw Ubiles in that late-season game at Marist, where Marist won in OT (I think it was OT ... ) to clinch the regular season title, jump from a standing, flat-footed position jump up on an offensive rebound and catch it and throw it down --- I knew as of that play he was going to be nasty to handle for us for the few years thereafter.

We are the road team in this game, so I was wondering how much practice our players will get with these hoops at the TUC. Does anyone know whether we can practice on that court prior to the game (like Saturday afternoon?). I would like to see the school put the team up in a downtown hotel Friday night so that the team can be right down there all day Saturday and really treat it as a road game without on-campus distractions. Maybe we do, but if we don't, I'd sure like to see us, in the future, get downtown a day early or so and practice on those rims at the TUC!

People mention Siena's lack of depth as compared to last year.

Last season at the 5 Siena had Duell and Rossiter. Rossiter was physically not prepared to spend 30 minutes ont he floor. That has changed. Duell is at this point capable of 4-8 mins perhaps. Harris has also shown he can provide 5-10 mins as needed. A healthy duell would be nice but at this point Rossiter has proven he is much improved since last season and i would say they should be deeper when either magee or duell are fully back

at the 4 Siena had Franklin, Magee and Priestly. Franklin is obviously Franklin. Magee has a concussion and Priestly has improved over last season but still isnt ready for 20+ mins against top competition. He should be able to provide minutes at the 4. They do use Wignot at the 4 in spot minutes when they go small. Deeper than last year

at the 3 is Ubiles, Wignot and Jackson... deeper than last year

at the 2 is Hasbrouck, Jackson, Downey deeper than last year

at the 1 is Moore, and spelled by a combination of Hasbrouck, Ubiles, Downey no true point backup but overall I would say the same if not deeper considering the overall roster.

Siena played against what will probably be a top 10-15 team in Tennessee, an MVC team that even though picked 9th will probably finish top 4 in their conference, and an Oklahoma State team that is very athletic and solid that should perform above expectations. Siena has played 6 games and 5 of those teams have some hope of making the NCAA tournament or at least some form of post season play. Loyola being the only opponent that definitely wont make the post season. Fran leaned heavily on his starters and this was probably not his best coaching decision as Wignot and Downey in particular proved capable in the first two games of the season. The entire team made mistakes in FL and are beat from the 9 day, 4 games in 7 days road trip.

It is going to be very interesting to see how much they bounce back after a couple of nights at home and only one day of rest. I would have preferred at least a 2 day rest period and then a day or two of prep.

I should add that i believe Fran relied on the starters as Duell and Magee are probably going to be the veteran leaders for the bench and both are injured.

People mention Siena's lack of depth as compared to last year.

Last season at the 5 Siena had Duell and Rossiter. Rossiter was physically not prepared to spend 30 minutes ont he floor. That has changed. Duell is at this point capable of 4-8 mins perhaps. Harris has also shown he can provide 5-10 mins as needed. A healthy duell would be nice but at this point Rossiter has proven he is much improved since last season and i would say they should be deeper when either magee or duell are fully back

at the 4 Siena had Franklin, Magee and Priestly. Franklin is obviously Franklin. Magee has a concussion and Priestly has improved over last season but still isnt ready for 20+ mins against top competition. He should be able to provide minutes at the 4. They do use Wignot at the 4 in spot minutes when they go small. Deeper than last year

at the 3 is Ubiles, Wignot and Jackson... deeper than last year

at the 2 is Hasbrouck, Jackson, Downey deeper than last year

at the 1 is Moore, and spelled by a combination of Hasbrouck, Ubiles, Downey no true point backup but overall I would say the same if not deeper considering the overall roster.

Siena played against what will probably be a top 10-15 team in Tennessee, an MVC team that even though picked 9th will probably finish top 4 in their conference, and an Oklahoma State team that is very athletic and solid that should perform above expectations. Siena has played 6 games and 5 of those teams have some hope of making the NCAA tournament or at least some form of post season play. Loyola being the only opponent that definitely wont make the post season. Fran leaned heavily on his starters and this was probably not his best coaching decision as Wignot and Downey in particular proved capable in the first two games of the season. The entire team made mistakes in FL and are beat from the 9 day, 4 games in 7 days road trip.

It is going to be very interesting to see how much they bounce back after a couple of nights at home and only one day of rest. I would have preferred at least a 2 day rest period and then a day or two of prep.

I should add that i believe Fran relied on the starters as Duell and Magee are probably going to be the veteran leaders for the bench and both are injured.

SaintsFan,

I've watched a number of your game and listened to some others so I know your roster. Your starting five are exceptional, yes even Rossiter has looked very very good and he is much improved from last year. But comeon man, you do not have a deep bench, why do you think your starters are playing the crazy minutes that they are. Wignot is a freshmen as is Downy.....Downy is a kid I really like he seems to understand the game, doesn't force things and give you very good effort. I keep waiting for Jackson to show up....at this point he can be categorized as a BUST. 5pts....1rb in about 13 minutes a game....shooting 40% from the field, 22% from the line and 25% from the outside. As much as you guys crowed about him when he signed he has not shown anything....hopefully that continues at least one more game. I've seen him a couple of times, he seems fluid and athletic but he just has not developed. If you remember Raffa and CJ came out of the same state and there were allot of comparisons being drawn between the two, some c-N-UH fans used to shet on the comparison telling us how CJ is a much superior player to Raffa....as a true freshmen, Raffa is giving us 11.7ppg, 3.7rpg, shooting 44% from the field 43% from the outside and 86% from the line. At this point he is simply running circles around Jackson as a true freshmen with 7 games under his belt. Yes, with Raffa we get some ups and some down as to be expected from a freshmen....you've gotten all downs from Jackson.

You are also extremely thin in the front court.....Duell is fatter then I've ever seen him if he give you anything on Saturday you'll be lucky as he is averaging 6 minutes a game and is injured as are some of your other bigs. On Saturday you will be heavily reliant on your starting 5. If any of them should get into foul trouble, you could be in allot of trouble. Having said that, if your starters can all go for 30-34 minutes you will be fine....that's what I would be hoping for if I was a c-N-UH fan. A tightly called game could spell trouble for c-N-UH, it helps though that you have MAAC officials doing this game... :blush:

I think the lack of depth is a serious concern going into this game as you are just coming off of a long trip with little prep time for this game.

Archived