UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

High praise for the Danes from a Cuse fan at the scrimmages!

http://network.laxpower.com/laxforum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63167&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=100

No Cuse in the Dome today but them Albany boys sure showed up. Geezuz H, that's quite a team, just a whole lot of fun to watch them play. You Albany folks must be just fired up crazy waiting for lax season to roll around. You'd be hard pressed to find any weaknesses anywhere with the way they played today, Mr Marr's got himself a mighty talented group of boys who like to run and play and he lets 'em. Nanticoke played sparingly, played the first half v Isreal and that was it. Gotta wonder if Marr didn't want to reveal too much to JD and let him get a good look at him. He played somewhat reserved which is not at all to suggest that he was anything less than impressive. Threw a couple of sweet assists by drawing and tossing, scored at least one, is sneaky, pesky with the GK after a save. As good as advertised,was hoping to see more of him. Good luck stopping this Albany team...Fields, just outstanding, Reh, just outstanding, Nanticoke, just outstanding, middies, just outstanding, D, just outstanding, GK looked good, several sweet outlet passes which led to those fast breaks. This unit works together beautifully, unselfishly, skillfully, and at mach speed. Albany's play looks like kids playing mostly from instincts and great vision. Everyone on the Albany team is in constant movement and if you leave one open a pass will be coming. There were several plays where the ball just zipped around and ultimately ended up with the open guy who was in the right spot. Israel opened up by winning the first two face offs and making it two-zip. The Dogs won the next one and went on a seven goal tear. Think the FOGO's name is Lerland, he just started picking it up like he was out there by himself and Albany started firing like the cage was a target at the shooting range. Those Albany boys are rough, too, not at all shy about contact. Both games seemed to be a little rougher than what we've become used to, the refs absolutely let them play. It didn't matter who was on the field for Albany, the team looked pretty much the same. Seems as if they've got 22 5'10"-6' 165-175 pounders who all came out of the same mold and every one of them is quick and has a good stick. Whether them Big Dogs win the face off, come up with a save, or cause a TO, they're coming at you in a full gallop, guns blazing. The thought, shot clock would never enter your mind when watching these guys.

Albany handled the Iroquois Nation quite handily too for all the same reasons. I doubt I'm on the money with the scores, think the first one was 13-3 and the second one, 18-6.

• Like 1

Couple more scrimmages on 10/15

October 15 (at Boys’ Latin)
Johns Hopkins will host a four-team event on Sunday, October 15 at Boys’ Latin in Baltimore. The event will support the HEADStrong Foundation.

12 pm – Johns Hopkins vs. Army
12 pm – Albany vs. Richmond

2:30 pm – Johns Hopkins vs. Albany
2:30 pm – Army vs. Richmond

http://network.laxpower.com/laxforum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63167&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=100

No Cuse in the Dome today but them Albany boys sure showed up. Geezuz H, that's quite a team, just a whole lot of fun to watch them play. You Albany folks must be just fired up crazy waiting for lax season to roll around. You'd be hard pressed to find any weaknesses anywhere with the way they played today, Mr Marr's got himself a mighty talented group of boys who like to run and play and he lets 'em. Nanticoke played sparingly, played the first half v Isreal and that was it. Gotta wonder if Marr didn't want to reveal too much to JD and let him get a good look at him. He played somewhat reserved which is not at all to suggest that he was anything less than impressive. Threw a couple of sweet assists by drawing and tossing, scored at least one, is sneaky, pesky with the GK after a save. As good as advertised,was hoping to see more of him. Good luck stopping this Albany team...Fields, just outstanding, Reh, just outstanding, Nanticoke, just outstanding, middies, just outstanding, D, just outstanding, GK looked good, several sweet outlet passes which led to those fast breaks. This unit works together beautifully, unselfishly, skillfully, and at mach speed. Albany's play looks like kids playing mostly from instincts and great vision. Everyone on the Albany team is in constant movement and if you leave one open a pass will be coming. There were several plays where the ball just zipped around and ultimately ended up with the open guy who was in the right spot. Israel opened up by winning the first two face offs and making it two-zip. The Dogs won the next one and went on a seven goal tear. Think the FOGO's name is Lerland, he just started picking it up like he was out there by himself and Albany started firing like the cage was a target at the shooting range. Those Albany boys are rough, too, not at all shy about contact. Both games seemed to be a little rougher than what we've become used to, the refs absolutely let them play. It didn't matter who was on the field for Albany, the team looked pretty much the same. Seems as if they've got 22 5'10"-6' 165-175 pounders who all came out of the same mold and every one of them is quick and has a good stick. Whether them Big Dogs win the face off, come up with a save, or cause a TO, they're coming at you in a full gallop, guns blazing. The thought, shot clock would never enter your mind when watching these guys.

Albany handled the Iroquois Nation quite handily too for all the same reasons. I doubt I'm on the money with the scores, think the first one was 13-3 and the second one, 18-6.

giphy.gif

This seems like a team that can take the next step. Hearing that the chemistry is strong, and the seniors are doing a very good job of keeping everyone focused and working hard.

Everyone talks about the offense which has kind of become a given at Albany, but looking for bigger things from the defense.

If you head over to the Lacrosse Network's website you can sign up for the monthly plan and get 14 days free, which allows you to watch both of the UA scrimmages from the weekend and then cancel the membership in time to not get charged. Having watched both games I can't help but think about how far the program has come since I played from 2007-10. I am not even sure if I would have made the team if the talent was at the level it currently is at. I really hate looking too far into scrimmages but the game against the Iroquois Confederacy was downright impressive. That team is no slouch and Albany made them look like a highschool JV team. Fields looks even quicker and faster than last year and possess the kind of 6th sense that only a few players in a generation have. Without a quick double from a second pole, I am confident that he cant get off a top quality shot every single time. He is also very adept at finding the open man if that slide does come.... Reh stands to hit 60+ goals this year. Reh is great off-ball and always seems to find a perfect cushion in the slot to receive the ball.

I was impressed by the situational execution that use to be absent during my stretch at UA. They ran several simple, yet effective, endline plays.....I beleive they stole them all from Syracuse, but nothing wrong with that. I cannot wait for the season to start. Barring any major injuries this team is "Final 4 or bust." My prediction is UA has 3 first/second team AA's (Fields, Nanticoke, Ierlan), a Terwaarton award winner, and a final four by years end. The way Ierlan wins faceoffs and the way the attack executes fast breaks makes me believe this squad will set the record for number of goals scored within the first 10 seconds of the faceoff.

Gleason has done a masterful job recruiting, especially on the offensive end. I would bet good money this is his last season at UA...a HC job is going to be calling. It seems like the players on the roster are the perfect mold for running the GLE extended initiating motion offense. Someone like fields starting at GLE with a pick from nanticoke puts so much pressure on the D, they almost need to send a slide before the pick takes place.

In short - I can't wait. I have watched both scrimmages several time and broke down the offensive film so if anyone has any questions just let me know.

If you head over to the Lacrosse Network's website you can sign up for the monthly plan and get 14 days free, which allows you to watch both of the UA scrimmages from the weekend and then cancel the membership in time to not get charged. Having watched both games I can't help but think about how far the program has come since I played from 2007-10. I am not even sure if I would have made the team if the talent was at the level it currently is at. I really hate looking too far into scrimmages but the game against the Iroquois Confederacy was downright impressive. That team is no slouch and Albany made them look like a highschool JV team. Fields looks even quicker and faster than last year and possess the kind of 6th sense that only a few players in a generation have. Without a quick double from a second pole, I am confident that he cant get off a top quality shot every single time. He is also very adept at finding the open man if that slide does come.... Reh stands to hit 60+ goals this year. Reh is great off-ball and always seems to find a perfect cushion in the slot to receive the ball.

I was impressed by the situational execution that use to be absent during my stretch at UA. They ran several simple, yet effective, endline plays.....I beleive they stole them all from Syracuse, but nothing wrong with that. I cannot wait for the season to start. Barring any major injuries this team is "Final 4 or bust." My prediction is UA has 3 first/second team AA's (Fields, Nanticoke, Ierlan), a Terwaarton award winner, and a final four by years end. The way Ierlan wins faceoffs and the way the attack executes fast breaks makes me believe this squad will set the record for number of goals scored within the first 10 seconds of the faceoff.

Gleason has done a masterful job recruiting, especially on the offensive end. I would bet good money this is his last season at UA...a HC job is going to be calling. It seems like the players on the roster are the perfect mold for running the GLE extended initiating motion offense. Someone like fields starting at GLE with a pick from nanticoke puts so much pressure on the D, they almost need to send a slide before the pick takes place.

In short - I can't wait. I have watched both scrimmages several time and broke down the offensive film so if anyone has any questions just let me know.

Joe, welcome to the board. Did you by chance notice how Patterson was used in the scrimmages? Was he just back-up attack or did he see any playing time at middie? Was wondering if they might try a position switch to get him on the field more as he won't see much time at attack barring injuries. Maybe replace some of the scoring they lost at that position with Drake and Osika graduating?

Not Joe, but IIRC Patterson played a lot up top during the one half when Nanticoke was on the field, and Jakob scored a goal from about 12-15 yards out, and it sure looks as if he has assumed Bennett's role which he excelled at last spring.

In the game against the Iroquois, Jakob was in the starting attack rotation.

I am trying to remember the man up unit, but think it was Fields, Reh, Nanticoke, Laffin, Eccles, and McClancy.

Joe, great comments and thanks for being part of the Albany tradition that the current players are trying to build upon. There was a lot of scuttlebutt this summer when several jobs opened up that Liam would be gone and we had a chance to talk with him about it this summer. With a relatively new baby my guess (and I have no inside information on this), but I bet he stays and takes over the program IF Coach Marr decides to call it quits after his daughter graduates from UAlbany.

Liam and Merrick are great recruiters, and they just seem to find players every year that fit into the Albany system.

The other thing they do is know how to coach and relate to kids. A bunch of us had the chance this summer to watch an event with players committed to Albany play against Michigan, Ohio State, Monmouth, and Denver. If you had seen the development of this group over two days and how they stacked up against teams loaded with ranked players you would have been very proud of Liam and Merrick.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

Thanks for the warm welcome -- I really appreciate it. I think that Patterson will slide into the "4-man" position, which is the same position I played during my career. Essentially he will sub in on the offensive end for the LSM, pairing with each set of 2-way middies. Along with dodging from GLE, he will also be tasked with working the crease and finding spots in the slot for time and room shots.

On the recruiting front, I think the next big step for the Danes will be to attract a top flight midfielder. Not saying we don't have good mids, because we do -- they are especially adept at fitting into the 2 way system Merrick has developed (when I was on the team we didn't use 2 way middies). I would think that we would be able to get one of the stud middies that are built like a horse. Coming out of West Genesee I was attracted to Albany because of the free-flowing system UA has come to be synonymous with.

Another part of UA's game I was particularly impressed with is their transition offense. It seems like they have a core set of principles rather than "plays". I saw a lot of passing and cutting and/or picking which puts an immense amount of pressure on the defense.

I am taking another pass through the scrimmages trying to identify how I would game plan against UA and the only team that I can think of that would possibly give UA a very difficult time is Denver. Beating Albany starts with neutralizing Ierlan and controlling the time of possession. In the past, the common ingredient to beating Albany has been putting their offense in a bind by controlling the time of possession. It seems like when that happens the offense loses its identity because they want to score and score quickly but they don't take the risks they usually do because they don't want to give the ball right back. I hope Scotty is putting the team through a lot of situations setup like that...but hey, I'm not the coach, it's just my two cents.

I think you are spot on.

I've asked the question before, "has UA become a lacrosse destination," and surprisingly despite the success, great coaching staff, and academics that are really quite good, I think the answer is not yet to your point on recruiting. I may be wrong, but I don't think Coach Marr has gotten any of the highly touted local kids to stay at home which can often times be a hard thing to do anywhere. A lot of kids just want to spread their wings away from home.

A lot of the guys who have recently blossomed such as Osika and now McClancy and others have been under recruited guys who didn't have a lot of other options, but now most teams would kill to have them on the roster.

What you described in Denver was to a large degree what happened against Maryland in the NCAA's. The 2nd Maryland FOGO figured out TD and even when it was a scrum the Maryland LSM's just got the ground balls. I think the defensive talent is getting closer and closer to the offensive side of the ball, but as the offense has the ability to take over a game the defense for whatever reason just isn't there yet. I really like a lot of the guys, and especially some of the younger guys who seem to have the size and athleticism to go up against anyone.

But to your point, when you get down to the final few teams or against a Baptiste, someone will find a way to dirty up the face off and make it more of a wing battle which IMO is still where we have to improve as an overall faceoff unit, and take the next step in terms of making the defense as dominant as the offense.