UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

any news on a new president?

madDOG

My view is that I'm happy with any president as long he/she is growing the university and our brand. I see athletics as a key to national exposure.

I started a new position this month with a major media company here in Atlanta and not one person knew of UAlbany (I have UA stuff on my desk). One person clearly misread and asked what's with UAlabama. A co-worker clearly tried bonding with me by throwing out that his sister went to Rochester. Clearly he didn't understand Rochester is not SUNY.

I'm happy with George Philip as long as he moves forward with the stadium and builds the brand. There is a lot of blame to go around on the stadium fiasco but I don't think Pres Philip deserves it all. We could do worse than him.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My view is that I'm happy with any president as long he/she is growing the university and our brand. I see athletics as a key to national exposure.

I started a new position this month with a major media company here in Atlanta and not one person knew of UAlbany (I have UA stuff on my desk). One person clearly misread and asked what's with UAlabama. A co-worker clearly tried bonding with me by throwing out that his sister went to Rochester. Clearly he didn't understand Rochester is not SUNY.

I'm happy with George Philip as long as he moves forward with the stadium and builds the brand. There is a lot of blame to go around on the stadium fiasco but I don't think Pres Philip deserves it all. We could do worse than him.

Atl, I agree with your previous and this post 100%. In terms of athletics, be very careful who we replace Philips with...

Wasn't he quoted as saying that in terms of the athletic department and stadium funding, the university needs to become more aggressive in doing such? Maybe he's stepping up as we speak.. He did have UAlbany day, and quite a few govt reps showed up. That's initiative.

We just got the business building and campus center, almost worth 100m... continued funding for the cancer center and the Nanoscale operations... and more..

It's not like things don't continue to roll along. Purple Path, Lacrosse stadium, etc. etc.

I think we continue seeing this improvement and funding as we go.

Atl, I agree with your previous and this post 100%. In terms of athletics, be very careful who we replace Philips with...

How about this: Make Philip the permanent president. That would save a lot of agita and searching and waiting for a Chancellor that might take another year or three to come. Best move we can do right now rather than keep searching for something we might never get.

If SUNY was in any other state, Herbst would have been named President a year ago and we wouldn't have this discussion. Sucks to be the relic known as New York.

I'll be surprised to see a new President before a new Chancellor is named. Why would a qualified candidate (the last thing we'd want to do is 'settle') agree to head up a University, especially one in an 'interesting' time like we're in now (for lack of a better term..flagship, capital projects, etc) when they have no idea who their boss is going to be??

And SUNY won't be quick to 'settle' either..and it might take more time to find that person because of the recent shake up in the Executive Chamber. Again, who would want to take a job when they don't yet know exactly how their boss (Paterson) will view their sector (higher ed/SUNY)?

These positions don't operate in a vacuum independent of each other..they all have major impacts and influences. Is it going to take longer than usual to find these replacements?...sure...because that's what the environment around UAlbany/SUNY/NYS is dictating right now.

I think UA Media Relations read this post from March..... ^_^

The TU has an article today on UA's interim President, George M. Philip

Triple dipper paid $641,000

The release of this story makes me yearn for a permanent replacement for Mr. Philip.

I am not angry at the fact that Mr. Philip is earning salary for his work for UA while collecting a pension. What annoys me most is that he is working as an investment consultant with compensation valued at $100,000. To me, the awesome responsibilities that are involved with administering a major component of the university system would require total devotion to and concentration on that job alone. How much time do you think Mr. Philip is spending on his consultant's work?

We really need someone in the position who is willing to sacrifice his time and energy to lead UA to the next level. Just my opinion.

• 4 months later...

Sept. Updates from http://www.albany.edu/presidentialsearch/a...ncements.shtml:

September 24, 2008

The presidential search committee met with Dan Parker and Laurie Wilder of the executive search firm, Parker Executive Search.

September 24, 2008

The University Council met in executive session to discuss the UAlbany presidential search.

If Stony Brook fills their newly opened position prior to our 2 year old search, I'm going to be very annoyed.

http://www.threevillages.com/Articles-i-20...eplacement.html

SBU is going with famous Wall Street executive recruting company - Russell Reynolds.

UAlbany chooses Parker Executive? Check out this little piece from an LSU blog ripping Parker.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll...LOGS15/80403008

At least Parker has some experience in the athletic realm. Maybe that will lend its hand here.

I would have liked to see an in-state firm handling the State Univeristy of New York's president search. Who knows, maybe they got a deal?

If Stony Brook fills their newly opened position prior to our 2 year old search, I'm going to be very annoyed.

SBU is going with famous Wall Street executive recruting company - Russell Reynolds.

UAlbany chooses Parker Executive? Check out this little piece from an LSU blog ripping Parker.

At least Parker has some experience in the athletic realm. Maybe that will lend its hand here.

I would have liked to see an in-state firm handling the State Univeristy of New York's president search. Who knows, maybe they got a deal?

WOW...not exactly a ringing endorsement. Doesn't this just give everyone nice warm and fuzzy feelings? :angry:

Great information danefan.

As long as they find a well qualified candidate that is pro college football, believes UA is a flagship and is influential then I'm happy. UA is going to need a great communicator and influential guy if he (or she) is going to bang heads with Hayden, Simpson (UB dick), the private school lobby etc, etc etc.

Great information danefan.

As long as they find a well qualified candidate that is pro college football, believes UA is a flagship and is influential then I'm happy. UA is going to need a great communicator and influential guy if he (or she) is going to bang heads with Hayden, Simpson (UB dick), the private school lobby etc, etc etc.

I agree ATL.

And normally I don't care how a job gets done as long as it gets done. But here nothing is getting done. Blame it on whatever you want (market, budget, chancellor.....). It doesn't take away from the fact that UAlbany has suffered in not having a permanent President.

Has the ship sailed on large capital expenditures? I sure hope not, but the economy does not look promising.

Archived