UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Ready to upchuck?

GreatDanes06

All you got to do is read this:

http://goseawolves.cstv.com/genrel/041408aaa.html

Stony Brook will be hosting an AE tournament in the very near future. We are talking about a complete gutting of the current facility that is how many years old? Games next year will be played in Pritchard Gymnasium.

All you got to do is read this:

http://goseawolves.cstv.com/genrel/041408aaa.html

Stony Brook will be hosting an AE tournament in the very near future. We are talking about a complete gutting of the current facility that is how many years old? Games next year will be played in Pritchard Gymnasium.

This pisses me off to no end! Not a dime for us and a complete gutting and renovation of their facility. They haven't done crap since they moved up to D1 and the state rewards them for their garbage track record.

WTF. I went to SBU for a game this year. Yeah they need the upgrade but dam thats not right.

As for SBU hosting the AE championship I don't think it will happen. To remote and really no fan support. Its going to be a nice arena for years to come mainly because no one is ever going to be there. 926 season attendance and figure you can cut that number in half. I went to our game this year and there were more UA fans then SBU.

That actually makes me laugh. It is so unbelievable that it makes me laugh.

I will be writing e-mails to every legislature in the Capital Region tomorrow morning with a nice link thanking them for their contribution to SBU.

I'm also going to write a nice email (just a comment email not a letter-to-the-editor) to the Times Useless on behalf of Stony Brook Alumni thanking them for undermining UAlbanys attempt at progress.

Anyone have any comments they'd like me to add to that e-mail?

I have to be frank-- A LOT OF THE BLAME FALLS ON US. Honestly, we need to be more aggressive and more public and the gloves need to come off. What do we have to lose at this point-- LAND? Seriously, this is a Binging joke. They were supposed to get 8m...now they get 28? Please.

Being a nice guy isn't enough. Either you are a babysitter or a parent. We need a parent right now! Sick of all the bull$iena I hear about "government" and "behind the scenes" and "plans"...STEP UP OR MOVE OUT. It starts at the top of our University. Chancellor (or lack thereof) or not...our top leadership needs to do a better job.Albany's admins, from the top-down, have done a piss-poor job since Hall passed. I am tired of hearing "He was one-of-a-kind". You know what...that is true! But that means there is a vacuum of leadership that needs to be filled and someone needs to JUST TRY.

Ken LaValle has power...but not that much power. As much as we all would like to think about the "power" in government, even the littlest guy can get PORK! I worked in that government for two years. I am just shy (barely shy) of my MPA. I know the moronic things that go on. I know how people get Gold or Blue sponsorship (unless they changed the colors). I've stood in the FIREPLACE and cut RIDICULOUS DEALS. Heck, I sat in on a meeting where an Assemblyman turned to the honchos at Metrotech (Marriot, Bear Stears, the Brooklyn Borough Pres, Barclay's and others at the time) and said "STOP...before I listen...what do I GET OUT OF THIS DEAL." My first thought-- THE GALL OF THIS POLTICIAN-- Does he realize who he is talkiing to?!?! You know what-- Brooklyn 2000 and Metrotech came to fruition and this guy got what he wanted as well.

EVERYONE CAN GET SOMETHING. It is a bull$iena excuse that "nanotech" or "the business school" or the "campus center" hindered this plan. The plan was hindered because the right people weren't stroked...PERIOD. You need to go out there AND GRAB WHAT YOU WANT IN THIS WORLD!

I honestly can say, I am not the only alumn with half-of-a-brain who is pissed off right now. It insults our intelligence to hear the excuses.

I have about had it with the way things are DONE AT ALBANY. This is from the top-down. GET A GRIP PEOPLE IN OUR ADMINISTRATION-- This is not a teacher's college...this is not a conservative school (based on the demographics) in the midwest...and this is not some community college. Maybe if they realized PEOPLE WHO BITCH, PROD, CAJOLE, BUTTER-UP, RELATE, and GENERALLY KNOW HOW TO WORK A SYSTEM VIA THE GIFT OF GAB AND SALES....THOSE PEOPLE GET THE PRIZE.

The admins at Buffalo and Stony Brook are just that. Albany-- most are not worth their salt. Between this $iena and the stupid marketing plan that a first year Asst. media buyer at a middle of the road AGENCY could have developed while drunk, the UNIVERSITY HAS EVER SO SLOWLY CAUSED ME TO TURN MY BACK TO THEM.

A JOKE-- That should be our new "TAG-LINE." This school couldnt market itself, OR ITS DREAM/PLANS, out of a PAPER BAG! THINGS NEED TO CHANGE AND CHANGE FAST!

I am so ready to take my limited funds and buy a full-page ad- At least someone who cares about this University will put pressure on the STATE!

:angry:

Being a nice guy isn't enough. Either you are a babysitter or a parent. We need a parent right now! Sick of all the bull$iena I hear about "government" and "behind the scenes" and "plans"...STEP UP OR MOVE OUT. It starts at the top of our University. Chancellor (or lack thereof) or not...our top leadership needs to do a better job.Albany's admins, from the top-down, have done a piss-poor job since Hall passed. I am tired of hearing "He was one-of-a-kind". You know what...that is true! But that means there is a vacuum of leadership that needs to be filled and someone needs to JUST TRY.

The admins at Buffalo and Stony Brook are just that. Albany-- most are not worth their salt. Between this $iena and the stupid marketing plan that a first year Asst. media buyer at a middle of the road AGENCY could have developed while drunk, the UNIVERSITY HAS EVER SO SLOWLY CAUSED ME TO TURN MY BACK TO THEM.

A JOKE-- That should be our new "TAG-LINE." This school couldnt market itself, OR ITS DREAM/PLANS, out of a PAPER BAG! THINGS NEED TO CHANGE AND CHANGE FAST!

I am so ready to take my limited funds and buy a full-page ad- At least someone who cares about this University will put pressure on the STATE!

:angry:

Can I toss some of my probably more limited funds in with yours for said ad? I couldn't have said this better myself, SUNY as a whole has been a mess lately and Albany has had the worst of it--I would not wish the last two years of mal-management and disorganization or any other school, even $iena/UB/SBU/UVM.

Just to answer a couple questions in this thread so far...

SBU's facility is about 20 years old, having opened in 1990.

And LaValle IS that powerful..though not likely for much longer. He's been in the Senate for more than 30 years, is Chairman of the Higher Ed Committee, and is Chairman of the Senate Majority Conference...and serves as a strong and agressive Chair in those positions. The fact is Sen. LaValle brings home for his district, and he's very good at it..regardless of what others do or don't do.

In addition, I heard (though am not sure where it's allocated in the budget) that Bruno got UAlbany more capital money to build an Alzheimer's Research center on the East Campus. It will relocate, and expand, the current center on the uptown (I believe) campus. Even more money that we got...

Albany's RACC is 18 years old-- not seeing your point about 20m for SBU's building that is a mere 1 year older (2 by usuage) than ours?!. It is like a new arena for them. They get a new stadium and new arena in 6 years?

Ken LaValle IS that powerful, however I have worked with more powerful men in two States. Point is, powerful men get their way, however non-powerful men/women get their way as well if they step up. Fact is NO ONE is more powerful than the group I worked with in Massachsuetts-- The Kennedy Family, Tip O'Neil (well his legacy at least), and Senator Moakley. People think they know what/who is powerful (as did I) until you work with that Trifecta. Tip O'Neil was arguably one of the most poweful men in the world. Tip, Ted, and Joe singlehandidly worked 30-40 Billion dollars into the Massachusetts economy by securing 17 Billion in unchecked aid to the Commonwealth for the Big Dig. They said, did, and got what they wanted. Heck...they told the Feds to piss off. It wasn't until someone stepped up PUBLICLY and said "NO MAS," did people really find out the issues with THE DIG...at one time the LARGEST PROJECT IN HUMAN HISTORY!

Point is, it is time for people to step up and expose the bull$iena at Albany (and SUNY who have allowed us to lag)! Public exposure gets change!

Again, not sure how the Alzeheimer's thing relates-- I think that is fantastic but: A) it is his district. B) we are not a hospital. I would have preferred him finding money to BUY us Albany law...or research it. How can a school in the State's political capital not look into a financially union with Albany Law?

How can a school in the State's political capital not look into a financially union with Albany Law?

What if they have and we don't know about it? I don't think that UA is that dumb, but I do think that Albany Law is so full of themselves that they'd consider themselves to be above a "lowly state school".

As it's been said, we should have never been built from the ashes of a teachers college, maybe UA was fated to suck by history... :(

maybe we can sell "Destination Stony Brook" shirts to raise money for the ad

On a serious note, and to further GoDanesGo's post, Sen Bruno has been responsible for tens of millions of dollars of funding for the Cancer Research facility and the East Campus, which is physically located within his district (I'm too lazy to do the research, but would guestimate it it upwards of $50M). While I am not a big fan of Sen. Joe, I do think much of the criticism of him on this forum has been unfair. He has delivered plenty over the years to the University's benefit. While we, on this forum, have a preference for athletic funding, we should not demean the tens of millions of dollars for research & nanotechnology funding over the recent years.

I posted the age of SBU's basketball arena as an answer to the question GD06 posed in his original post in this thread, not as an arguement for why SBU should or shouldn't be getting this money. Too many people on this board have been way too defensive about any comment that in some remote way could be perceieved as not having 100% blind support for us getting money for our stadium. I know this recent one was likely a simple mistake, but it's happening way too often recently in this broad discussion and, as a result, it's becoming frustrating to post (let alone read) here.

I posted the comment about the capital money for the East Campus not as a reason why SBU should or shouldn't have gotten their arena money, but because this is one of many threads where the broad topic of capital funding and investment is being discussed and the East Campus money hasn't been mentioned yet on this board, so I thought it would be a good idea to pass along the info I heard. While I'm disappointed (like everyone) that we didn't get our stadium money this year, I can still be happy and appreciative when we get money somewhere else.

I concur statefan. MY argument is much simpler- THERE IS A HOLE IN OUR LEADERSHIP. Overall, our plans are weak and our focus is weak. It is deplorable that Bruno and crew can't find a chancellor and then a president.

If they could not...fine...then our current leadership needs to be more aggressive and progressive. They have nothing to lose. My argument is more about our school not having muscle...and other (NOT JOE BRUNO) leaders NOT STEPPING UP AND LETTING THEIR VOICE BE HEARD. Canastari aside.

Where was Farley, Breslin, and McEneny when Stony Brook was receiving 28mm in athletic aid for facilities they already had in an downturn economic budget year?

As for Albany Law-- I know for a fact they have not been approached! I don't just say things for a reason. I also know that Albany Law would be receptive to talks.

I posted the age of SBU's basketball arena as an answer to the question GD06 posed in his original post in this thread, not as an arguement for why SBU should or shouldn't be getting this money. Too many people on this board have been way too defensive about any comment that in some remote way could be perceieved as not having 100% blind support for us getting money for our stadium. I know this recent one was likely a simple mistake, but it's happening way too often recently in this broad discussion and, as a result, it's becoming frustrating to post (let alone read) here.

I posted the comment about the capital money for the East Campus not as a reason why SBU should or shouldn't have gotten their arena money, but because this is one of many threads where the broad topic of capital funding and investment is being discussed and the East Campus money hasn't been mentioned yet on this board, so I thought it would be a good idea to pass along the info I heard. While I'm disappointed (like everyone) that we didn't get our stadium money this year, I can still be happy and appreciative when we get money somewhere else.

FAIR ENOUGH-- However my commentary is NOT about the Stadium. It is about:

A) Excuses as to why SBU gets money they get for athletics

B) Excuses of why our leadership fails to do what needs to be done.

C) Excuses of why our Presidency is open.

GDG, for the record...I was not and am not attacking you at all. I AM ATTACKING:

1- The system

2- Our polticians who are not more vocal

3- The way our school is lagging behind.

My argument is actually only a small proportion engrossed in athletics. In fact, I am pretty certain the leg will give us $$ next year for a stadium. It is when I see that bull$iena marketing campaign we wasted 237k on...and when I see NO public statements from our school abhorring the shaft we consistently get...that I attack leadership.

Fact:

UB Economic Impact- 1.5Billion in 2003. Impact is primarily in Buffalo (as touted by school).

SBU Economic Impact- 2.3 Billion in 2006. Impact is primarily in Long Island (as touted by school).

Binghamton Economic Impact- 800m in 2006. Impact is primarily in Binghamton (as touted by school).

Albany Economic Impact- 1.1 Billion in 2004. Impact is primarily in the Capital Region (as touted by the CPC).

UB and SBU each receive nearly a billion in State aid per year.

Albany and Bing get the shaft each year.

WHY? Polticians step up in Buffalo and Long Island. Presidents cajole, meet, and plead.

What if I told you that a certain powerful NYS legislator, on the phone with me, told me he has YET to meet George Philip in his office?

THESE ARE THE POINTS TO MY THREAD-- Not athletics only. However, it is a part when you see SBU getting the $$ they are getting for CURRENT FACILITIES!

Due to laziness and being sick, I don't want to look back to see a comparision of SBU and UAlbany in total University funding from the State budget just passed - not excluding anything.

Anyone have the totals?

What I don't need to know is the SBU landed a SICK amount of money more than UA.... maybe close to 500 million more? (I may be off which is why I want the above numbers)

Point is, the SB and BUF campuses are getting double what we get for ours, and their ADs are getting double the amount that ours gets. This includes SB receiving all of this money for renovating their arena and their brand new football stadium.

We didn't receive the stadium funding because the state is on fragile ground supposedly. But, how did SBU land all of that funding for projects that ARE unncecessary (because they already have those facilities)

I believe all of us are very happy to hear that we are getting:

a new business building

a new campus center

a alzheimer's research center

a new nanoscience building

The other two campuses are getting the best of BOTH worlds. IT appears that we are getting only mediocrity. Why.

Leadership of the University, period.

We do need leadership that is willing to FIGHT HARD for this University, and get our fair share. We need leadership with vision like Kermit had, and with the balls to go out and get it. Without the balls and aggressive approach, we go down the slow road for a long, long time. We need someone heading the University like Dr.M heads the AD. Our President needs to make the NY government see our vision and make the government invest equally to the other U centers.

I like ot see that we have a new slogan, that we will attach to all university things in the future. Not much of a big deal though.

It's a joke to see that Interim President Philips hasn't visited our local politicians. Pretty much sums it up.

Nice to see that he arranged a UAlbany Day with local politicians, but was it only for show? Is he not building relationships for the good of our University? What the hell is he doing? Although he's an interim, he our President NOW.

I'm all for a full page advertisement, which should include everything we have talked about over the past 6 months.

Archived