UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[MBB] Game #13: 12/16/17 - 7:00pm - vs Canisius

Eli

Clark looks like he has the skills to help us but he's been up and down. I thought he was great in the Siena game and hoped he had turned the corner. Last night, I thought Canisius did what smart teams do when the backup PG comes in and trapped him as soon as he came in the game. I think had we been up 5 or 7 the staff might have been able to live with mistakes a little more.

I could be way off but I've developed a theory about this team this year.

My first premise is that great players don't want to come out of the game.

Exhibit A. I was at a road game during Jamar's junior year when we were at Harvard. I sat behind our bench as CB sent Iati into the game and told him to get Jamar. The substitution horn sounded, Jamar heard it, turned to Brian Lillis and told him coach was taking him out. Lillis went to the bench. CB sent Lillis back into the game to get Jamar. Jamar heard the horn, and then turned to Iati to tell him to come out. CB yelled at Jamar to come out of the game. Jamar did the put his hand to his ear as if he couldn't hear him. In the end, CB got his way but it took a while.

I said that to say this.

CB has said many times he wants to play his bench more. I've thought many times our games have been a game within a game.

The starters know that if they come out blazing the first 6-8 minutes and build a lead, they're going to come out and the bench will play for extended stretches. I'm not saying they're playing bad on purpose, just that there isn't a sense of urgency in games they think they will win.

Edited by Dane Pound
  • Like 1

Ah, didn't catch that...but still, seems like a quick yank for a guy who can drop 10 off the bench without breaking a sweat. - Eli

You're a great stat guy - how often has Clark dropped 10 off the bench.

For me he seems to be a guy who sometimes isn't following the script.

There was a little embellishment there on my part. The '10' wasn't literal. My point was he can get buckets at will as he is someone who can create his own shot and can attack the basket better than Costa or Conway or any of the other perimeter players we put into the game as subs (which is needed sometimes, especially when David's or Joe's shot isn't falling). If that means he's going off script...well, then Nichols has been going off script for years :).

Remember how little time Campbell got in the OOC last season. He barely played until the he was inserted in the starting lineup in the 4th game of the conference slate (@UMBC) after the team started 0-3 in the America East.

There is a lot of time left for Clark, Foster, Anderson, Conway, and Cochran to earn expanded roles and make an impact.

With Campbell shooting so poorly from outside, I'd like to see Conway and Cochran earn some minutes.

Edited by godanesgo99

Griffins shot 10-12 to start, we held them to 37% over the last 30 minutes or so.

Attendance 2500 was late-arriving but better than expected

I liked that they it was a noisy 2500. Sometimes we get higher numbers and people sit on their hands. Last night the crowd shook off the holiday spirit of goodwill after a few close/bad calls and got into it.

• Like 2

I have brought this up a bunch of times, but what is the deal with Cochran? I know someone said he looked lost when he got in the Oneonta game, but everyone on the court was lost that game. If its because he still doesnt get the system that is disappointing since hes been here for over a year and a half. I was hoping hed be the offensive compliment we need to spell Campbell.

I have brought this up a bunch of times, but what is the deal with Cochran? I know someone said he looked lost when he got in the Oneonta game, but everyone on the court was lost that game. If its because he still doesnt get the system that is disappointing since hes been here for over a year and a half. I was hoping hed be the offensive compliment we need to spell Campbell.

This remains an excellent question in part because Conway has definitely looked lost.

• Like 1

Yeah, not sure. Coming in, he was supposed to be one of the most supreme offensive talents we've ever had at this program. Just another kid that might not pan out, unfortunately, for whatever reason.

I've never heard him described in that way...I think he's more of a poor mans Sigger. I was hopeful he'd be a nice role player 15 minutes a game.

Yeah, not sure. Coming in, he was supposed to be one of the most supreme offensive talents we've ever had at this program. Just another kid that might not pan out, unfortunately, for whatever reason.

I've never heard him described in that way...I think he's more of a poor mans Sigger. I was hopeful he'd be a nice role player 15 minutes a game.

He's been here a while...maybe I misremembered and went the other way in terms of what he should have been. I remember being told he was REALLY good at one end (for some reason I thought it was the offensive end).

It is what it is.

Direct quote from WB in an article about him in October.

"He's our best athlete," Brown said. "I'm excited about him. He's a legit 6-6. He's long. He's athletic. He can impact a game in a variety of ways. He can defend and rebound, (he's a) good mid-range shooter, a developing 3-point shooter."

The Albany weekly show did a whole segment on him last year basically saying the same things.

Oh well.

"He's our best athlete," Brown said. "I'm excited about him. He's a legit 6-6. He's long. He's athletic. He can impact a game in a variety of ways. He can defend and rebound, (he's a) good mid-range shooter, a developing 3-point shooter."

The Albany weekly show did a whole segment on him last year basically saying the same things.

Oh well.

Interesting...not sure what to think other than perhaps those surgeries took away some of that athleticism.

Oh well.

I think he will be just fine. He'll adjust, and the game will slow down for him.