Photo
- - - - -

Should college athletes get paid for playing?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Clickclack

Clickclack

BPF Bracket Challenge Winner

• Big Purple Fans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,767 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:28 PM

No! Although I would let a kid go directly to WHATEVER pro league they want...if they commit to go to college, they need to be there 2 years minimum, get paid a living stipend payed = to every student in D1 from an NCAA fund. 

#17 uofalbany

uofalbany

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,902 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

No! Although I would let a kid go directly to WHATEVER pro league they want...if they commit to go to college, they need to be there 2 years minimum, get paid a living stipend payed = to every student in D1 from an NCAA fund. 

How about paying a living stipend to student athletes that are NOT receiving a scholarship, or only a part scholarship..... ONLY.

As for pro athletes ruining the olympics, they probably don't.  But there are certain athletes and really entire sports that I have no desire to

watch at the olympics, regardless if they are representing the US.  Probably would need to evaluate on a sport by sport, athlete by athlete basis.

Haven't watched a game of olympic basketball since the first NBAers played back in the Bird, Majic era.

Edited by uofalbany, 09 January 2018 - 05:11 PM.

UA Class of '93

599489_235629683226336_1094172808_n+(2).

#18 godanesgo99

godanesgo99

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 841 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 06:07 PM

The kids are working an entertainment job, and aren't allowed other outside work. Almost seems like slave labor.

I say, let them get paid, but make all D1 athletes get paid the same amount, and make the NCAA pay for it out of their profits. No need to add another level of disparity between schools that can pay more. Make the payout dependent on the sport they play and then make a GPA modifier. Need a 3.3 GPA to get full payout. Need a 2.7-3.2 to get 75%, and a 2.5 to get 50%. Below a 2.5 and you get a whopping $0.00
  • Eli likes this

UA Class of '99

Go Danes!

#19 Eli

Eli

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:38 PM

The kids are working an entertainment job, and aren't allowed other outside work. Almost seems like slave labor.

I say, let them get paid, but make all D1 athletes get paid the same amount, and make the NCAA pay for it out of their profits. No need to add another level of disparity between schools that can pay more. Make the payout dependent on the sport they play and then make a GPA modifier. Need a 3.3 GPA to get full payout. Need a 2.7-3.2 to get 75%, and a 2.5 to get 50%. Below a 2.5 and you get a whopping $0.00

With a proven class attendance modifier too so you don't have UNC all over again.

I like this idea. Give them $5k a year or something...

I don't know what is and isn't paid for when someone is on scholarship but wasn't there a huge story like 3 years ago about Shabazz Napier going to bed hungry due to NCAA rules?

Edited by Eli, 09 January 2018 - 10:05 PM.

GO DANES!!!

#20 UAalum72

UAalum72

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 6,938 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:06 PM

NCAA says there about 176,000 Division I athletes, of whom over 98,000 get some aid, in case you want to calculate the cost of your proposals

#21 Dane Pound

Dane Pound

• Big Purple Fans
  • 6,791 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:39 PM

No, I don't think they should be paid.

This seems like a ploy to benefit the power conferences. They have more resources and could afford to pay their athletes and probably pay them more. This would widen the gap between the college haves and the have nots. 

#22 Clickclack

Clickclack

• Big Purple Fans
  • 10,767 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:39 AM

No, I don't think they should be paid.

This seems like a ploy to benefit the power conferences. They have more resources and could afford to pay their athletes and probably pay them more. This would widen the gap between the college haves and the have nots. 

There's only so many open roster spots...like 13 per team in hoops. That's why I think pretty much everyone has suggested that IF this is about doing what's best for student athlete, have the NCAA administer the living stipend and not individual conferences or schools. 

#23 Clickclack

Clickclack

• Big Purple Fans
  • 10,767 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:40 AM

NCAA says there about 176,000 Division I athletes, of whom over 98,000 get some aid, in case you want to calculate the cost of your proposals

If you gave every scholorship kid, let's assume there are 100k of these...we are talking about 500mil a year plus overhead to administer the program.

#24 Eli

Eli

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 09:46 AM

Per Google:

The NCAA had $989 million in total revenue in fiscal 2014, according to the statement. It had $908.6 million in total expenses, including $547.1 million distributed to Division I schools and conferences.

GO DANES!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users