UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

any news on a new president?

madDOG

Curious if anyone heard rumblings on the presidential search since Hall's untimely passing. How long does this process usually take? Is there a list of candidates available? I'll cross my fingers for someone pro-athletics.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Curious if anyone heard rumblings on the presidential search since Hall's untimely passing. How long does this process usually take? Is there a list of candidates available? I'll cross my fingers for someone pro-athletics.

Don't be shocked to see Susan Herbst slide into the job. That is why she was made "Officer in Charege" rather that "acting president". an acting president would not be eligible to take the job for some reason. I have heard she is interested and may be the top candidate

Don't be shocked to see Susan Herbst slide into the job. That is why she was made "Officer in Charege" rather that "acting president". an acting president would not be eligible to take the job for some reason. I have heard she is interested and may be the top candidate

While I have no idea if she will end up in the spot, the titles don't exactly (usually) work that way. An Interim President would be somebody who would not be considered to be hired for the spot. An Acting President would be in consideration. As an example, John Ryan was named Interim President here at UAlbany before we brought in President Hall. He was named Acting Chancellor prior to his selection as Chancellor of the SUNY system.

I'm not entirely sure how the OIC title works, but I would assume it might have something to do with the legal/salary side of the job?

High-level academic searches like this obviously do take time, but when they first started the search, they were hoping to have a new President in place for the beginning of the 07-08 academic year. But with the search firm only being hired in late spring, it's probably more realisitic to expect a new President in place sometime in the spring semester. Maybe the candidates can watch a basketball game at SEFCU during their official visits???

Maybe the candidates can watch a basketball game at SEFCU during their official visits???

No, force the candidates to watch a football game from the wooden bleachers, then ask them how hard they'd push for stadium construction.

Maybe the candidates can watch a basketball game at SEFCU during their official visits???

No, force the candidates to watch a football game from the wooden bleachers, then ask them how hard they'd push for stadium construction.

That assumes anyone on the search committee cares about athletics. Do we know who appoints the search committee or who is on it?

That assumes anyone on the search committee cares about athletics. Do we know who appoints the search committee or who is on it?

Lee McElroy and John Fallon are on the committee

Committee makeup

McElroy and Fallon both good for athletics as a whole....but in my opinion Fallon is not good for football specifically....his gift for the field was reportedly conditional upon football not using the field........(no offense to him, but he got cut by Fordie).

(no offense to [Fallon], but he got cut by Fordie).

Ford REALLY screwed up by cutting Fallon, and Fallon is WAY too bitter. Football should use that field and risk the wrath of losing Fallon';s money, what was it...30 years ago when Ford would have cut Fallon?

I don't know what to think: that Ford harmed the very distant future of the team or if Fallon's money is tainted and grudge-laden and that it should be seen as worthless to the university.

Ford REALLY screwed up by cutting Fallon, and Fallon is WAY too bitter. Football should use that field and risk the wrath of losing Fallon';s money, what was it...30 years ago when Ford would have cut Fallon?

I don't know what to think: that Ford harmed the very distant future of the team or if Fallon's money is tainted and grudge-laden and that it should be seen as worthless to the university.

Football uses the field hockey pitch for practice; a quarter million dollars can never be seen as worthless; and anyway Fallon Field doesn't have near enough room for the grandstand we need for football even now.

Info came to me on a very good source a while ago. You can't blame Fordie...how was he supposed to know Fallon would make $1.5mm a year?

And I'm not talking about using it for games. I'm talking about practices. Practicing football on the field hockey turf is taking an undue risk of injury, especially when the nice field turf lies vacant right nearby. Don't think lacrosse won't be using the new football stadium...because you know they will. Which is fine. It's just that the $250,000 could have and should have gone to the stadium project instead. There probably a reason there isn't any bleachers up at Fallon Field yet. Is there really a need to have a 5,000 seat lacrosse stadium and a 10,000 seat football stadium with exact same playing surface? It just doesn't make sense to me.

McElroy and Fallon both good for athletics as a whole....but in my opinion Fallon is not good for football specifically....his gift for the field was reportedly conditional upon football not using the field........(no offense to him, but he got cut by Fordie).

If this is the case....Fallon sounds like a real little man. His oodles of cash don't give him carte blanche to dictate.

• 8 months later...
I simply want to know how many DECADES it will take to get a president in here. This F'n state is so dysfunctional....they can't seem to do anything right.

The average citizen who doesn't work in NYS Gov is going to of course find it dysfunctional. I do work for them and at times it is, but I understand the actual process in which things are done. In government there are steps, red tape and rules that need to be followed. They can't just jump around to whichever thing they want to because there is accountablitity.

Don't we need a new Chancellor before UA gets a President?

http://www.suny.edu/sunyNews/News.cfm?filn...h%20Release.htm

If you have questions email presidentialsearch@uamail.albany.edu maybe they could give you a timeline... though I doubt it.

Archived