UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

John Fallon Field / Alumni Field Seating Plan

uofalbany

Concur GDG...and MUCH APPRECIATED WITH THE POST!!! Gave us reason to hope.

If we get all three of those facilities...WOW. What I do think, however, is that you at worst you see a negotiation down to let's say, 10mm for the stadium....ULTIMATE WORST!

10mm bowls in the current stadium to make 13,000 much like:

sports_ath_shuartstadiumnew.jpg

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really would love to hear this...because it is COMPLETELY opposite of what some of us have been told first hand.

And, if GDG's numbers are even close to on, the state according to the new budget is giving us enough money to at worst bowl in the current stadium.

You can't post like that without giving details. And to be frank, you are often pessimistic with your postings so I don't know if I should take this as sarcasm or truth.

I had heard, awhile ago, that the restrooms were out...but concessions and team rooms would be in.

As mentioned the source was second-hand, but from a connected employee. Rather than "tease" maybe I should have filed it away internally, but I have complete faith in the person I heard it from and thought it was worth mentioning.

My source was the same person who said the A-frame was dead because the field hockey pitch had to be moved closer to lacrosse because of the pond. That seems true now, doesn't it?

As for rumors, how's this? With the convention center in Downtown Albany in jeopardy, a private company proposed a joint venture to build the stadium downtown to urge growth.

As for my pessimism, I am just trying to relay what I have heard, absent of emotion. The sarcasm I will give you, though.

I am optimistic for the future of the university but I think we need a permanent and charismatic leader to reach some of the goals.

Not arguing with what people told you...but I am not buying it.

First, the A-Frame was dead LONG AGO. This isn't a 6 month old thing...it was dead when the water table was checked upon building.

So...how is the stadium DEAD? While I would not want it off-campus...I just want a facility. We would still have a facility. That being said, a downtown stadium would die a quick death because BRUNO would block it-- Too close to RPI's new stadium (half-the size) across the river.

Only reason to have a stadium downtown would be if they had an MLS, USL, or MLL team. My mentor in Boston is the lawyer for the MLL. I had lunch with him last week. HE would have told me about an Albany MLL team. MLS...not happening. USL...no one has stepped up in what takes two years to secure a team.

So what is this stadium for downtown? Outdoor concerts? Ummmm...people are going to SPAC in the summer....and that is not changing. You couldn't get anything for that place worth filling it up.

MAKES ZERO SENSE.

My .02.

I'm cool with a downtown stadium so long as the University effectively buses students to it and there is ample parking for tailgating activities.

You know what a downtown stadium means.........alcohol sales in the stadium.

The soccer thing that Dane96 brought up is interesting. A USL soccer team may do well in Albany, especially if the Rochester team ends up getting their bid to the MLS.

The Rochester Rhinos just built a new $35 million soccer stadium, of which THE STATE OF NEW YORK PAID $23 MILLION!

roch.jpg

So...how is the stadium DEAD? While I would not want it off-campus...I just want a facility. That being said, a downtown stadium would die a quick death because BRUNO would block it-- Too close to RPI.

Never said it wouldn't happen, just that it will likely be an uphill battle to realize it.

As for the "Downtown Rumor" I think it would be a foolish venture, but apparently it was discussed.

So...how is the stadium DEAD? While I would not want it off-campus...I just want a facility. That being said, a downtown stadium would die a quick death because BRUNO would block it-- Too close to RPI.

Never said it wouldn't happen, just that it will likely be an uphill battle to realize it.

As for the "Downtown Rumor" I think it would be a foolish venture, but apparently it was discussed.

Well here is what I don't get (sorry if we are pestering you): Where is the uphill battle? If the stadium is downtown, much like UCONN, we still get a stadium. If the budget goes through half-way as proposed (i.e. we get 10-36mm) we get one on campus.

Either way-- WE GET A STADIUM...unless I am missing something.

Danefan-- Rochester is not getting an MLS team. They got screwed in a way. They built that because the MLS said we will give you a team. Ownership failed to get people out...so MLS gave rights to Saputo up in Montreal. He declined. Now, with the MLS success in Toronto, Saputo's 12,000 new stadium is the likely place for the USL team to move to MLS. It is expandable.

Philly and Seattle come on as the next two-- Already happening

Miami

Vancouver

Montreal

St. Louis

Front runners for the next two slots...likely ALL FOUR get in and expansion stops.

That being said, USL team still could be great locally. Enough local fans...and nice Rochester rivalry.

I said a company approached the university. Apparently it was the City of Albany floating an idea.

As for the on-campus stadium we should know in less than a month, but there is a feeling of pessimism by some involved that the funding will not be in place for ground-breaking this year.

You never know, though, right? So take my second-hand information any way you want, and hope for the best...

Proposing to the University is a WHOLE different (and acceptable) thing. It would mean we are part of the process. That...is a good thing and DOES NOT MEAN WE ARE IN AN UPHILL BATTLE.

The State giving money has little to do with what Jennings says. I love Jennings, his niece is a good friend of mine, but he has been a supporter of Albany getting a stadium for the team. He may float an idea, but he would not step between the State giving money to us or not.

In fact, the last article in the Carillion states that EXACTLY.

Finally, the pessimism you speak to is different than your initial post-- groundbreaking and knowing it is going to happen or not are two different things. I could care less if they broke ground in Jan 2009...as long as we get it.

That being said, MOOT if the government gives us the money. Once it is given...we can choose to ground break whenever.

Re: multiple sports at the football stadium, it would be overkill - nobody gets that kind of attendance for lacrosse, unless we host the quarterfinals.

Top five home attendance last year:

Total gms avg

1. Syracuse 37,881 8 4,735

2. Navy 37,222 8 4,652

3. Johns Hopkins 25,995 7 3,713

4. Cornell 23,369 7 3,338

5. Duke 37,905 12 3,158

It would make more sense to put the soccer field in the infield of the new track (assuming that fits). If a pro soccer team uses the football stadium in the summer, I just hope they put down temporary lines - I hate the look of an outdoor field with lines, boxes, and creases for four or more sports.

Re: multiple sports at the football stadium, it would be overkill - nobody gets that kind of attendance for lacrosse, unless we host the quarterfinals.

Top five home attendance last year:

Total gms avg

1. Syracuse 37,881 8 4,735

2. Navy 37,222 8 4,652

3. Johns Hopkins 25,995 7 3,713

4. Cornell 23,369 7 3,338

5. Duke 37,905 12 3,158

It would make more sense to put the soccer field in the infield of the new track (assuming that fits). If a pro soccer team uses the football stadium in the summer, I just hope they put down temporary lines - I hate the look of an outdoor field with lines, boxes, and creases for four or more sports.

Who cares if the stadium isn't filled for Lax games.

You want the best example of this.....Princeton.

Princeton-University.jpg

You can see the lines for football, soccer and lax.

This is about being economical and looking long term. Mark my words, there is no way the men's lacrosse team is going to play on Fallon field when a $30 million stadium sits empty next door.

many universities have lacrosse fields, but also play games in major stadiums...INCLUDING PRINCETON:

http://www.goprincetontigers.com/ViewArtic...p;ATCLID=295179

You can make a case for any sport. Duke plays its games on a lacrosse field, but has a football stadium near by. If anything, a football stadium will help in attracting big events...LIKE THE NCAA TOURNAMENT...to UAlbany. Princeton doesn't play every game on that football stadium. But they will play games that they know will attract major crowds.

My best example...if UAlbany gets the stadium and Syracuse agrees to play at UA, I think both sides realize they can draw more then 3,000 to the game. In that case, you play the game in the football stadium. Compared to if a team like Siena or one of the AE teams comes in, and the following is not as big, you play the game at JFF.

You can BARELY see the lines for soccer and lax.

Even Princeton plays the majority of its lacrosse games at Class of '52 Stadium (record crowd 6,300) - including the NCAA first-round game vs. Albany a few years ago

52stadiumphoto.jpg

OK OK OK OK....but the schools you are referring to had THE MONEY TO BUILD BOTH and already had football stadiums when their lacrosse fields were built.

And yes I am biased towards football, but no one can argue that the most important thing our athletic department needs right now is large multi-sport facility. Building 3,000 seats for lacrosse is a short term strategy which is delaying the needed long term remedy.

Just my opinion.

You can BARELY see the lines for soccer and lax.

That is because on field turf (and similar surfaces) the lines can be removed when not needed.

It is unlike old turf where once you painted the lines you had to live with them.

I agree...however I think with JFF, you have to remember the field was given as a donation. You have the field, something that lacrosse and field hockey were desperate for (REMEMBER, THEY HAD TO GO PLAY HOME GAMES AT LOCAL HIGH SCHOOLS BEFORE THIS). While the field is great, you can't just have a field. You need to have stands etc...especially with the success that the teams are having. This is a field that has no press box. How many games I wanted to broadcast when I was WCDB but couldn't because there isn't even a telephone line out there. This was even in last years season! I was getting tons of emails to have games covered, but it was just impossible. Thank goodness they put in the seats for the AE Tournament and NCAA Tournament.

Remember also, it use to be free to go to watch these games. Now you are getting charged. You bring in nice size crowds to these games, get press coverage etc...and use that field also for local high school lacrosse games, the $2 million basically will pay for itself.

I agree...however I think with JFF, you have to remember the field was given as a donation. You have the field, something that lacrosse and field hockey were desperate for (REMEMBER, THEY HAD TO GO PLAY HOME GAMES AT LOCAL HIGH SCHOOLS BEFORE THIS). While the field is great, you can't just have a field. You need to have stands etc...especially with the success that the teams are having. This is a field that has no press box. How many games I wanted to broadcast when I was WCDB but couldn't because there isn't even a telephone line out there. This was even in last years season! I was getting tons of emails to have games covered, but it was just impossible. Thank goodness they put in the seats for the AE Tournament and NCAA Tournament.

Remember also, it use to be free to go to watch these games. Now you are getting charged. You bring in nice size crowds to these games, get press coverage etc...and use that field also for local high school lacrosse games, the $2 million basically will pay for itself.

Listen, if the field pays for itself in attendance I'm all for.

Archived