UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

From Dayton's official release:

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/w-voll.../032508aab.html

Sheffield's Great Danes were one of just two teams at the Division I level to continuously improve their RPI rating from 2000 to 2005, moving to number 40 in 2005 after occupying the 295-spot in 2000. Albany's 2005 ranking represents the best in America East Conference volleyball history. The team also posted the best-ever winning percentage (.875) in the league.

"The University at Albany holds a special place in my heart," Sheffield said. "I am proud of what we were able to accomplish there and so fortunate to be able to coach and work with those young women. I'm leaving an incredible place and a great team. It was going to take an extraordinary situation for me to leave and I truly believe that I found that in Dayton. I am honored and excited to be a part of the UD Family."

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Daytons website mentions that they sold out the regoional last season they hosted last year. Capacity is 5000 seats. That is great support. Good luck to Coach Sheffield and as DP mentioned earlier he and his teams also showed me how much fun volleyball is.

Certainly sorry to see Coach Sheffield go. He was great at the alumni luncheons always took time to chat - a great representative for the University during his time here. As others said it was bound to happen and I wish him well at Dayton. We'll have another team to follow in the tourney each year.

Welcome to Coach Engstrom. You can't argue with her resume or the freshman class she helped bring in this year. Hopefully there's a smooth transition and more fun next fall.

Although this was somewhat expected, (several heavily recruited local kids chose other schools since it was widely expected that he would move on after such great success at his first head coaching stint), still this really hurts. Coach Sheffield was extremely innovative and ran an incredibly quick offense when Buchanan was setting.

For those of us there at the start when UAlbany would have struggled with DIII schools, its been a great run. Beating Siena this year at their place without two starters and Siena having the nation's longest winning streak was especially sweet. Siena won the first two easily and the TV announcers were expecting an early wrap up, UAlbany stayed patient and won the last three. Still from a pure coaching standpoint, winning the 2005 Temple tournament defeating two NCAA teams, without two starters and after a crushing loss in the America East semis has to be the best.

Dayton is getting a great coach, he will be sorely missed. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats 'rillo!!

Did you notice that the announcement mada it to Dayton's website in a timely manner? Unlike UA, who still lists Coach Sheffield as our head coach. I'm sure MJ loves that! And no mention as to how well the team has done with their spring season?

What's the matter with our media relations department? Last year when I asked Brian (head of the dept), he gave me some lame excuse about short staff. It's still short?? C'mon UAlbany..keep up with the better athletic programs around the country. It's what we ask of our athletes and coaching staff. The media area needs to keep up!

Congrats 'rillo!!

Did you notice that the announcement mada it to Dayton's website in a timely manner? Unlike UA, who still lists Coach Sheffield as our head coach. I'm sure MJ loves that! And no mention as to how well the team has done with their spring season?

What's the matter with our media relations department? Last year when I asked Brian (head of the dept), he gave me some lame excuse about short staff. It's still short?? C'mon UAlbany..keep up with the better athletic programs around the country. It's what we ask of our athletes and coaching staff. The media area needs to keep up!

Good luck with that request. The football schedule still lists us versus Fordham on sept 6th. Fordham and Rhode Island play that day. Our spring notes indicate that Sept 6 is a TBA yet no one updated the website. I thought we were supposed to be out-sourcing the website. What happened to that? New graphics, but certainly nothing else. If the TU doesn't report why should we put it on the website? Is that what Brian DePasquale is saying. Its time to start cleaning out the dead DIII weight in the athletic department. Fundraising guys are great, but the media guys need to step up their game.

i don't like the last two comments. That department works it's ass off for the university. that is all I am going to say.

don't turn the discussion about volleyball into a bashing.

Side note - all you have to do it press the button on the bottom that says next season and it shows MJ as the head coach

I'm not trying to turn this discussion into bashing.

Go to other university websites and compare. In this instance, just look at the Dayton athletic site. Then tell me how hard our media department works.

If everyone is satisfied with the mediocre site, fine. I guess that accounts for the childish "press the buttons" remark. I'm still entitiled to my opinon (and I base it on the comparisions of other sites).

It is correct for 2008 although for some reason Coach Engstom's name is smaller than Lynnette Moster. The head coach has to have top billing!!!

BTW Coach Sheffield and Dayton will becoming coming to town for a match this fall.

you are trying to compare Dayton and UAlbany? my gosh. Let's start with the fact that they are run by CSTV...then rethink trying to compare the two.

http://www.cstv.com/teams/cs-teams.html

list of teams...all bold faced teams are have their sites run by CSTV

Archived