UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

New UAlbany Brand...

MRSGDG

Come on guys, if you feel you aren't getting communications, go on the UAlbay website, go to Alumni page and ask to be included. Triangulating on the board where you are theoretically anonymous, is not how to accomplish this.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp...sdate=4/14/2008

UAlbany says it's a World Within Reach

By MARC PARRY, Staff writer

Click byline for more stories by writer.

Last updated: 4:00 p.m., Monday, April 14, 2008

ALBANY -- The World Within Reach.

That's the slogan the University at Albany unveiled today -- the product of a yearlong marketing project.

The new theme marks UAlbany's foray into the increasingly popular realm of institutional branding, a science that used be limited to products like toothpaste.

UAlbany hired Iowa-based college marketing firm to develop a marketing strategy based on its strengths. The project cost $260,000. Diversity, affordability and location were among those self-indentified pluses.

UAlbany hopes the marketing push helps advance these goals: rising in the U.S. News & World Report's undergraduate rankings and increasing its $30 million endowment by $100 million.

--------------

http://www.albany.edu/news/release_2036.shtml?source=text

UAlbany Unveils "The World Within Reach"

New branding initiative highlights the University's unique qualities

Contact(s): Catherine Herman (518) 956-8150

ALBANY, N.Y. (April 14, 2008) -- Today, the University at Albany launched its first-ever branding initiative with the theme, "The World Within Reach." It showcases the University's distinctive qualities as a leading public research university that offers students a strong foundation for success and a broad world view.

Today's announcement is the culmination of a year-long initiative which began last spring, when the University set out to examine how UAlbany was perceived both by the campus community and the public. The University partnered with the higher education marketing firm Stamats, assembled a core marketing team, and sought the input of faculty, students, staff, alumni, prospective students, high school guidance counselors, and community and business leaders to conduct a comprehensive analysis of its identity.

The mission was to build a strong and consistent reputation based upon attributes that the University could demonstrate and stand behind. The goal is to better position the University in attracting and recruiting top students, first-tier faculty and administrative staff, and the necessary resources to sustain UAlbany's tradition of excellence.

"In all our work, we noticed a recurring theme -- UAlbany as a place of opportunity and success," said Interim President George M. Philip. "Today, we unveil a campaign that captures and highlights the notable strengths that make UAlbany great and distinctive."

"The World Within Reach" theme will appear in University publications, on the University Web site, and in other broadcast and outreach materials created by the University. UAlbany also unveiled today a new advertising campaign that will initially appear in the Capital Region, including the Albany-Rensselaer Train Station and Albany International Airport.

"The World Within Reach" initiative highlights the University's core strengths, which include:

* Strategic Location -- UAlbany is a hub for new ideas. Its location in New York's capital has driven many of its distinctive academic strengths in such areas as public policy, criminal justice, social welfare, education, public health, and, most recently, nanosciences. UAlbany students have access to enviable internship and public service opportunities, employer connections that lead to jobs after graduation, and all the culture, recreation and entertainment of the region.

* Modern Vision -- The University's educational mission is straightforward: expand the worldview of its students and prepare them to make meaningful and lasting contributions to their communities, their nation, and their world. This far-reaching vision manifests itself on campus in the richness and variety of the University’s academic programming and the vibrancy of its cultural diversity.

* Life-Enhancing Research and Scholarship -- Through its research and scholarship, UAlbany contributes tremendously to the public good. The biological roots of diseases, the dynamics of hurricanes, immigration, cyberterrorism, and nanotechnology are just a few of the issues being tackled by UAlbany researchers. UAlbany research is advancing knowledge, driving economic growth in the region and state, and creating extraordinary opportunities for students.

* Diversity that Enriches Learning -- UAlbany is the ideal place to get a global perspective. Student and faculty come from more than 100 countries, bringing different and fresh perspectives. This breadth of diversity adds rich texture to the learning that takes place on campus and prepares UAlbany students to become world citizens in today’s interconnected global society.

* Excellence at a Great Value -- The excellence of a UAlbany education is recognized by many independent sources, such as the rankings published this month by U.S. News and World Report. Its great value comes in the world of opportunities available to students at an affordable price. Students learn from and are mentored by accomplished faculty. UAlbany offers 189 undergraduate, master’s and doctoral degree programs, an Honors College, championship Division I athletics, and a rich array of campus activities. Students form lasting connections with peers, professors, and alumni, and when they graduate, they join a global alumni network of more than 140,000.

"By the time they graduate, our students have what it takes to contribute and succeed in many fields. In countless ways, UAlbany has put the world within reach for them," said Susan Phillips, Interim Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs.

"UAlbany has played an important role in my life as a professional and as a person, helping me attain a position where I could be of greater benefit to my community," said David Brown, '05, President and CEO of the Capital District YMCA.

"UAlbany has been at the forefront in developing research partnerships across the globe," said Sanjay Goel, Associate Professor in the School of Business and Director of Research at the Center for Information Forensics and Assurance. "Through UAlbany, professors like me have made contacts with top international researchers, leading to mutual engagement on critical issues and creating the potential for increased networking and cooperative efforts."

"I have received a great education with excellent faculty, made wonderful connections, and have had countless experiences that I will never forget," said Elizabeth Gray, '08, of Ithaca, N.Y.

You know, I have not been very critical of the way they have run the University but for the marketing.

After reading the two releases, NOTHING HAS CHANGED. My criticsm stands and the irony is "THE WORLD WITHIN REACH" fails to tell of a story OUTSIDE OF THE Capital District and near areas.

Why do we have three quotes from: The University; a local alumn; and a student from Ithaca. Would it not be prudent to have quotes from our vast 140,000 alumni scattered throughout the globe in order to PROVE TO THOSE NOT AWARE OF OUR GLOBAL REACH THAT, IN FACT, WE DO HAVE A GLOBAL REACH?

Why would the first part of the campaign start in the CD? Seriously, that is great...but the CD knows about Albany. The South, the Mid-Atlantic, the West, the Southwest-- everywhere kids may want to get a change of scenery from-- and kids we could attract-- still will be unaware of our University. The first marketing program SHOULD have taken place from NYC to D.C.

Northeastern figured this out...why can't our admins do the same.

Sorry, this was exactly the waste of money I thought it was going to be. Again, it goes back to the original choice to use a mid-western firm instead of one of the many innovative East Coast firms. Look at its portfolio-- Yeah, some big schools...but none that are remotely in the same boat or have needs that we do. Stamats is known for conservative innovation att best. AND THEY ARE FAR FROM THE LEADERS IN THE COLLEGIATE INDUSTRY THEY CLAIM!

We need to be AGGRESSIVE and PROGRESSIVE-- Not conservative. This campaign, IMHO, is conservative and does not address our needs.

You know what INNOVATIVE IS: RUTGERS UNIVERSITY PLASTERING BILLBOARDS UP AND DOWN I-95 and the FLORIDA TURNPIKE.

My .02 and I am sure it will be panned.

Why not give this a chance.....keeping the name of UA on people's mind even in the CD can reap rewards, particularly at sporting events. This is much better then what we had, which IMO was pretty much NOTHING. Forget down bill boards that run all the way down to FL, how about one that runs to NYC? We should maximize our exposure in the CD and work our way out. I'm not marketing genius, nor have I worked in marketing, but this already looks much better then anything we've ever had. Just my .02

Boysidid...I am going to toss some weight on my argument so others can understand where I am coming from. For 4 years I ran a division of a MAJOR collegiate marketing company. I had 10 permanent and 30-40 collegiate employees under my charge and net revenues of anywhere from 5.8-6.2m a year. This company spawned just about every collegiate marketing/brand management company that is succesful today. In fact, CSTV is a direct descendent. The use of the Podium card as payment, is a direct descendent. Calling cards on campus-- descendent. Every "tour" of a product (SOBE LOVE BUS) is likely a descendent.

My argument is simple-- The university needed to go to an ad agency that is a one-stop shop...or they needed to get a few different businesses in a room...not just Stamats. For example, Crispin would have been a good agency choice. If you want to go piecemeal, Alloy, Amp, SA, and others should have been in the discussion with STAMATS.

The problem I have with the "outreach" is that it is formulated wrong. NO ONE IN THE CD needs to know about us any further. Yes, they should do ad campaigns in the area...but that should be done without question. The FOCUS of this outreach should be to other locales. The focus groups and quotes should have occurred OUTSIDE the region...across the country.

We need students from the mid-atlantic first. Then we move forward grabbing the rest. Simply put, Stamats strength is in mid-west, southwest, and West marketing. They are known to be conservative and the campaing, from what has been released, is a direct link to their strength.

I said it before: Albany has a ridiculous amount of contacts in the AD industry and in the Collegiate marketing industry. They failed to use them. The founders and execs at many of these companies are Albany grads. Why go to a midwestern firm? The University works at a snails pace and that is exactly the reason we are where we are today. We need aggressive and progressive marketing-- not a slow start with a boring campaign in the CD and on mailings/brochures.

This will put what maDOG states into perspective:

A full-page AD in Boston Magazine, and most major mags START...YES START...at 10,000.

A cheap 2-4 page "marketing pamphlet" (like what you get a the rest stop) costs about 2-3k for 20,000 prints.

Bottom line-- 16k is garbage in the AD/Marketing world.

LOL...so I read in today's TU that the university is spending only *$16k* on an ad campaign to promote the new brand, which cost *$260k*.

???

I caught that to...are they kidding me. I know it appears we are kind of all pilling on but holy smokes spend 260K to develop a new brand and then spend 16K to promote it. I'm no AD guru but is this a joke?

Archived