UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Justin Sofman Will Visit Albany

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been reading a bit of the Rutgers message board, and the early consensus is that they are kind of sorry to see him go. From what I've been able to ascertain, he is a solid shooter who due to early injuries was never really able to get on the court although most thought he could help in the BE moving forward. Needs to work on his D but most thought lack of progress was due to him NOT being able to practice with the team and not for lack of trying. Seems like a nice kid, many wished him luck.

Just thought it would be interesting to note here that Fox Sports released a transfer list today, and no UA players are on there, meaning the speculation around Moores has not come to fruition yet

Did the transfer list pertain to schools that were receiving transfers or losing tranfers (or both)? Another question I had is whether the list covered Division II and III schools?

Answers to those questions could shed some light on the questions that the fans have regarding possible transfers, etc.

Does anyone know if Justin is still visiting on the 23rd as indicated by this article now that we've inked Mike? If he is any word on who else is transferring to make room for him?

He has to sit out a year per NCAA rules, so there is no need to create another "slot" to make room for him, as he would be coming in after Brian C. and those guys graduate next year.

Does anyone know if Justin is still visiting on the 23rd as indicated by this article now that we've inked Mike? If he is any word on who else is transferring to make room for him?

He has to sit out a year per NCAA rules, so there is no need to create another "slot" to make room for him, as he would be coming in after Brian C. and those guys graduate next year.

UA...if I'm not mistaken....if he was recruited then YES he would count against the maximum 13 scholarship limit, so YES we would have to free up a slot to get him. Him having to sit out a year is irrelevant for purposes of counting scholarships. The only way he would not count against the limit would be if he walked on. With so many other schools chasing him.....no reason to think he would forgo the free ride if he has the choice.

UA...if I'm not mistaken....if he was recruited then YES he would count against the maximum 13 scholarship limit, so YES we would have to free up a slot to get him. Him having to sit out a year is irrelevant for purposes of counting scholarships. The only way he would not count against the limit would be if he walked on. With so many other schools chasing him.....no reason to think he would forgo the free ride if he has the choice.

So transfers get a scholarship for the year that they sit? Is that how it works?

I believe so....as long as they are NOT walkons.

If that is true, then, can a player such as this, who received a scholarship at School A for his freshman year --- and who then transfers to School B after that freshman year --- receive a scholarship for his sophmore year at School B while sitting out, AND then 3 more annual scholarships for years 3-5 (because of sitting out in year 2, he has 3 years remaining of eligibility)?

So, by transferring, you can obtain 5 annual scholarships while playing 4 years of NCAA basketball (I suppose this is no different than red shirting?).

I have done no research on this, but I question this rule. The scenario that would play out everytime would be the one that I just went through. If I were a student athlete, I would do everything in my power to transfer because I get an extra year (i.e., a 5th year) of college via scholarship!

The reason this would be so is because NCAA eligibility pertains to years played and not years given a scholarship (i.e., redshirts).

I'm not denying that a student athlete who transfers can receive a scholarship for the year that (s)he sits out. As I pointed out, I haven't researched it, but the above illustrates how there is a strong incentive for student athletes to transfer (or I also suppose red shirt) under the current system -- you get an extra year of college for free. So be it, I guess!

Found this TU Blog.....

"Guard/forward Justin Sofman, who is leaving Rutgers after his freshman season, is considering UAlbany and will visit the campus next Wednesday, according to his father.

Steve Sofman said UAlbany will be his son’s first visit. Justin Sofman is scheduled to see Iona on April 23.

Steve Sofman, who played at New Jersey Institute of Technology, said it was his idea to check out UAlbany after he watched the Great Danes play on ESPN’s Full Court package.

“It just looked like they shared the ball very well and it looked like they didn’t have a star system,” the father said. “Everybody contributed. (Brian) Lillis was their most prominent player, but it seemed like they really shared the ball.”

Siena is also on the list of 10 schools Justin Sofman is considering, although his father didn’t mention whether a visit has been scheduled to the Loudonville campus.

The 6-4 Sofman, an excellent 3-point shooter, scored 1,800 points in high school in West Milford (N.J.). But he broke his jaw this season at Rutgers and saw limited playing time when he returned. He averaged 2 points and 5.1 minutes per game in 14 appearances.

“(Justin) missed 10 weeks at the most crucial time, when you’re learning everything,” Steve Sofman said. “It put him behind the eight-ball … Rutgers has some great recruits coming in, wing players who are in the Top 50 or Top 75, and he just didn’t see viable playing time to be a full-time contributor on both sides of the ball. He doesn’t want to be a role player.”

Neither UAlbany or Siena appears to have a scholarship available at this time. Steve Sofman said he and his son have yet to discuss whether Sofman would be willing to pay his own way while sitting out next season under NCAA transfer rules."

Looks like Mark has something mixed up...next Wednesday is April 23, so who is he visiting on the 23rd....Iona or UA? If Justin coming to UA was his fathers idea then he could walk on.

I'm not denying that a student athlete who transfers can receive a scholarship for the year that (s)he sits out. As I pointed out, I haven't researched it, but the above illustrates how there is a strong incentive for student athletes to transfer (or I also suppose red shirt) under the current system -- you get an extra year of college for free. So be it, I guess!

I can see your point but I think most kids want to play rather than sit-out. Pretty sure you still have to practice and everything so you're still earning that scholarship.

Mark Singelais blog has more about his upcoming visit.

Also a couple of things about Mike Johnson, seems like his Juco conference is a pretty high level, one of his teammates is transferring to Houston and another to Colorado.

I also liked this story in the one paper about him:

"The team even had a loud postgame discussion last month in which Johnson questioned his teammates’ heart and challenged them to play harder. Spurlin said that may have been a turning point.

“I think it set the tone,” he said. “I think some people looked around, and from that point on we lost one or two and then got on a roll.”

I was thinking about Coach Brown saying his team was "too nice" at times last year. Seems like some fire has been added.

I didn't realize that the players still practice, etc., while they red-shirt or sit out for a year after their transfer. Now it makes sense that they would receive a schollarship for that year!

M. Johnson looks like a great find! Looking forward to all the recruits of the incoming class!

Archived