UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

NYS Budget- SUNY Allocations 2008-2009

uofalbany

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
UAlbany has been without a permenant president for 1 year and 8 months, not 3 years.

I agree with what you are saying. However, the 1 year 8 months versus three years are semantics. Considering Forecasting and Budgeting often takes place YEARS in advance, we are significantly set back in our strategic planning EVERY SINGLE DAY we are without a President.

How many businesses the size of our University go sans President for close to two years?

Additionally, I still am appalled that our Senators and Assemblyman have told me they have yet to meet with Mr. Philip. Again, if true (and I am only going on what was told in personal conversations with these people), it is disturbing.

The university Centers are meant to be the pillars, but they are not equal and never have been. SBU and UB are in fact quite a bit larger than UA and Bing.

That may be the fact now but that's only after the last 10 or 20 years of disproportionate funding. Keep in mind UAlbany goes back to 1844. Stony Brook didn't even exist until the '50s or 60's. They went from nothing (they didn't exist) to being on track to double our size. The UAlbany and Capitol District community has been way too apathetic over the years.

I'm just one alum but I think everyone can help in some small way.

1. I have emailed every local politician, including the top leadership.
  2. I have written an old fashioned paper letter to the top political leaders.
  3. I have written a half dozen letters to the TU. At least three have been printed.
  4. I have donated money to UAlbany
  5. I have written and spoken to UAlbany leadership from the president, vice presidents and on to professors.
  6. I have written and been responded to from the President of Albany Law school about a proposed merger, following on the Stony Brook - Tuoro Law merger proposal. I asked him to think about UAlbany. He at least called it interesting.
  7. I just received a response from my old professor Dr Danko from the marketing department. I proposed the the MBA program get involved with the stadium effort as it clearly could use the help. He responded and included a number of other professors on the cc: response to me.

The point is we can all do something. Try to get some friends to help. I don't accept UAlbany being second to Buffalo and Stony Brook as an inevitability. It will be the case if we let it happen.

Not wanting to get off on a tangent, but 1yr 8months versus 3yrs is not semantics..and it's not something to 'agree' or 'disagree' with..President Hall died in August 2006, not April 2005. If an employer told you they were giving you a severance package for 3yrs and then only paid you for 1yr 8 months, I'm not sure an 'it's semantics' excuse would be good enough for you. It may not seem like a big deal, but when we're accusing people of not using correct information in this letter or that comment, we should be even more sure that we're using facts..it's only the first step to being taken seriously in discussions about important issues like these. I can understand what you're saying about the 'impact,' but I guess I would suggest saying (yell, I guess typing) what you mean so that people don't start believeing drastically incorrect info.

"If nothing else, the University community needs to demand that we obtain the highest quality leadership, and to do so now."

uofalbany, I think, and would hope, we all want this. While I don't have inside knowledge of this specific search, I would assume we don't yet have a president in place because the committee members feel that we haven't yet found a candidate with the level of quality leadership that our University demands. And with the current situation within SUNY and NYS, I wouldn't be surprised to know that we're not attracting the highest quality candidates. A president wouldn't know who their boss (the Chancellor) would be and a Chancellor couldn't yet know how one of their bosses (the Governor) will act in terms of the issue of higher education. I don't know how that can attract high quality candidates. The only opposite would be to imply that we don't have a president because people in power (the Search Committee, University Council, SUNY, NYS Government, etc) don't want us to have one. I just don't happen to think that's true.

For what it's worth, I would have to assume this person (who's now off the market) would have at least been on the radar for the Chancellorship, which would have helped our situation... http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/article/17517

D96, unfortunately I don't have much direct knowledge of Philip and any legislative appointments. I do know he, and a number of other high-level University staff, were in the LOB meeting with legislators all day before UAlbany Day a few weeks ago. I have no idea who they met with, though. If he hasn't had many 'in office' meetings with legislators, I do agree that would be an area for change. If he hasn't been in there in person, it would obviously be part of their strategy to communicate by others means. In my experience with GR, I think regular in person contact is most effective (especially considering the nearly non-existant travel costs), but I don't know the plan they have. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with info on that.

Not wanting to get off on a tangent, but 1yr 8months versus 3yrs is not semantics..and it's not something to 'agree' or 'disagree' with..President Hall died in August 2006, not April 2005. If an employer told you they were giving you a severance package for 3yrs and then only paid you for 1yr 8 months, I'm not sure an 'it's semantics' excuse would be good enough for you. It may not seem like a big deal, but when we're accusing people of not using correct information in this letter or that comment, we should be even more sure that we're using facts..it's only the first step to being taken seriously in discussions about important issues like these. I can understand what you're saying about the 'impact,' but I guess I would suggest saying (yell, I guess typing) what you mean so that people don't start believeing drastically incorrect info.

I see your point here. I think we are on the same page...and I do agree that accuracy counts. What I meant, and I did not explain properly, is that in the end, a near two-year search has left us with a rudderless ship.

I would also like to add, for the sake of clarity, that my discussions with the legislators happened BEFORE UAlbany day. Hopefully, that experiment has served to propel a regular monthly meeting between Interim President Philip and our representatives. Like you state GoDanesGo, only through personal interaction will the needs of the University be placed in the hands of the Legislature.

Whatever the length of time since President Hall's death, the whole process simply takes too long. With all the tools of modern communication that we possess today, I cannot believe that it takes about two years to select a successor. Given the fact that so many developments occur so quickly on the university level, it is unbelievable that the State of New York has not come up with a faster track to get this work done. As others have pointed out on this thread, this process would not occur elsewhere in the real world.

Whatever the length of time since President Hall's death, the whole process simply takes too long. With all the tools of modern communication that we possess today, I cannot believe that it takes about two years to select a successor. Given the fact that so many developments occur so quickly on the university level, it is unbelievable that the State of New York has not come up with a faster track to get this work done. As others have pointed out on this thread, this process would not occur elsewhere in the real world.

Clearly there's a problem somewhere. Are we simply not attracting qualified applicants? If so, why? Pay? Too many open positions in leadership roles sending a bad message? Perhaps university officials are looking for another Kermit and being "too picky"? Is the search firm doing a poor job? Maybe university officials are courting an ideal candidate but that person's current situation is preventing them from acting immediately. Who knows.

I was under the impression that we had to wait until SUNY Chancellor was in place before hiring a permanent president. I know there is no RULE that says we have to wait, but it was always given as rational for NOT yet having a president. Apparently the lack of Chancellor didn't stop another SUNY school from filling the post. Per the page posted by UAlum they have been meeting for and meeting and meeting.....how come this whole process is so secretive?

"The search committee is committed to seeking out the best leaders and we will continue to accept applications and nominations until our job is complete. Over the coming weeks, in addition to accepting additional applications and nominations, the search committee will also be scheduling follow-up meetings with some very qualified applicants, previously interviewed. While I am not able to offer a specific set of dates for the process ahead, our search process will be seeking your direct involvement--and will do so at a time we can ensure full campus participation." from the January 29th update

So no specific set of dates, no sign of his direct involvement from the people on campus (full participation)...at least not yet from what I can tell....and they've been meeting since Feb'07.

Exactly how will their search process be seeking our direct involvement?

It has been three months since the committee's last Update.

They've met twice in the past 3 weeks.

Maybe there is some good news coming down the pike soon.

It has been a heck of a long time without filling the position, but at least they have been meeting regularly. Imagine if it was 6 months without meeting.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some Fantastic news.

Campus participation (outside of the representative search committee membership) usually happens when the search committee has a group of 3 or 4 finalists. Those finalists will usually have official tours of the University and meetings/forums with students, faculty, staff, etc. Similiar to what's currently happening at Monroe Community College near Rochester with their search to fill the position of their retiring President Flynn.

I think it's a good sign that Cobleskill hired a new president without a permenant Chancellor in place. I might suggest that Cobleskill and UAlbany are not completely analagous in terms of their importance/impact within the SUNY system, so a lack of a Chancellor likely would have more impact on the type of candidates attracted to UAlbany. But the Cobleskill hiring is a positive sign, nonetheless.

For what it's worth, I've heard SUNY is looking to have a new Chancellor in place between June and January. Their search is taking some time because I've heard they're looking for high profile national 'leaders' (a la a Colin Powell type) instead of the traditional high level educational administrator. That type of candidate obviously cuts down the pool a bit, plus you'd have to convince that person to leave whatever lucrative situation they might be in now in order to come to the great show that is New York State politics.

FSEC discusses possible further budget cuts

Satish K. Tripathi, provost and executive vice president for academic affairs, spoke during yesterday's meeting of the Faculty Senate Executive Committee about possible further state budget troubles on the horizon for UB and SUNY.

In addition to a 2.9 percent cut to UB's operating-funds budget and $2 million in losses related to SUNY's plans to reallocate funds from UB, Stony Brook University and Downtstate Medical Center to the University at Albany, Binghamton University and the system's comprehensive colleges, Tripathi said reports from the state capital suggest lawmakers want to withhold additional funds from SUNY.

"What we're hearing about the SUNY budget is [there's] an additional $110 million that SUNY has been asked to put aside," he said, noting that the action is being referred to as an "expenditure limit" on SUNY accounts, not a budget cut.

read more.. http://www.buffalo.edu/reporter/vol39/vol3...icles/FSEC.html

Spending cuts worry SUNY officials

By Cara Matthews

Journal Albany bureau

April 24, 2008

ALBANY — State University of New York officials announced Thursday the 64-campus system’s funding is $109 million less than originally expected.

That’s because across-the-board spending reductions required by the recently enacted state budget will apply to revenues it collects from tuition, housing, SUNY hospitals and other services. That money is considered state revenue and has to be appropriated by the Legislature and governor.

The 2008-09 spending plan approved this month includes a 3.35 percent cut to all state agencies, and SUNY and the City University of New York. Gov. David Paterson has given commissioners and the schools a May 16 deadline for submitting plans on how they will change their budgets accordingly.

For SUNY, 3.35 percent equals $148.1 million. That means a reduction of $38.7 million from general state operating funds — 2.9 percent less than it received last year — and $109.4 million from tuition and other fees.

Cutting from SUNY revenues will disproportionately harm the system, trustees and administrators said Thursday.

“It’s really a very rough slice that hasn’t taken into account our circumstances,” Trustee Ed Cox said during a meeting of the SUNY Finance and Administration Committee.

State budget is $121.7 billion

Trustees and other school officials said they would plead their case with the Paterson administration to see if an exception could be made. The state budget for the 2008-09 fiscal year, which began April 1, is $121.7 billion, 4.9 percent higher than last year.

“Well, obviously, this isn’t good news at all,” Committee Chairman H. Carl McCall said.

He asked if SUNY had a “Plan B” if the administration doesn’t accommodate the university system and was told no.

The 3.35 percent reduction is systemwide and not per campus, said Jeffrey Gordon, a budget spokesman for the governor.

“It will be up to SUNY to administer and determine where the money will come from,” he said.

SUNY officials pointed out that residence halls are self-funded and amounts charged have been carefully planned.

Faculty members are concerned about the impact of the budget, said Carl Wiezalis, president of the University Faculty Senate and a SUNY trustee.

“I think everyone’s pretty depressed out it. Everyone really predicted a very productive, ambitious year this year and we have fallen on hard times,” he said.

Paterson sent letters Thursday to legislative leaders, the attorney general, the comptroller and the state’s chief judge, asking them to follow his lead by cutting their operating budgets 3.35 percent. The enacted state budget assumes their offices will make those reductions, the governor’s letter said. He made note of the troubled economy, saying the state faces “uncertain times.”

“To the extent that your agency does not achieve anticipated savings, deeper reductions will be required in other agencies,” he wrote.

State Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli issued a statement saying his office began examining spending weeks ago and expects to achieve the goal of 3.35 percent in reductions.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/apps/pb...NEWS02/80424044

Archived