UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Coaches Blog

04.23.08:

It has been a hectic week. I was in Phoenix, AZ this past weekend. We had two young men visit Monday-Wednesday. Wednesday afternoon we had a young man arrive on campus for an unofficial visit. Tomorrow night is our banquet at The Pearl. I leave Saturday morning at 6 a.m. for the King James Tournament in Akron, OH. Chad O’Donnell will be with me in Akron and Pat Filien will at the Providence Jam Fest in Rhode Island. It never ends!

Recruiting is going very well! We should be finished with our 2008 class in the next week or two. If things play out like I am anticipating we will only have two scholarships for the 2009 class. This would allow us to focus on bringing in two post players to replace Jimmie Covington and Brian Connelly. We are heavily involved with some talented players.

Our schedule is just about complete for the 2008-09 season. Scheduling is always a major challenge. Trying to find 13 opponents to play in November and December is like putting together a giant puzzle. I am happy with the schedule that I have put together and I think our team will be challenged and that we will be well prepared for America East Conference play.

Our banquet is tomorrow night. We still have a few seats available. You can reserve a seat by calling Ken Dagostino at 518-442-3036. The banquet will officially bring closure to the season and the outstanding careers of Jon Iati, Brent Wilson, and Brian Lillis.

Link

I'm a bit confused....there are three players who are going to be seniors and thus in the last year of their eligibility. Brian, Jimmy and Jerel. If Mike Johnson took Reid's scholarship and Justin take the other scholarship (I understand that there has been no commitment yet) if not Justin then perhaps someone else. How will there only be two scholarships for next year? If Justin signs we will have 13 under scholarships.....with three graduating. What am I missing here?

Well could it be the two players that visited and one paying his own way when he sits out a year due to transfer rules?

Didn't think of that, excellent point. If either Justin or someone else pays their own way, they would be inline to get the scholy in 09. DUH!!!!!

Well could it be the two players that visited and one paying his own way when he sits out a year due to transfer rules?

I guess that could work. Though I'm not too sure how many people would agree to pay themselves for a year if they're getting offers from other schools that can scholly them the whole time, especially if they're subject to out of state tuition costs.

Maybe getting a verbal now from someone who'll prep next year and join the Danes in '09?

Who knows. Maybe someone can ask Coach Brown at the banquet tonight.

PO'd that I could not make it down there tonight. I hope someone who attended will post what was said. Thanks in advance.

I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you.

Just kidding.

Coach talked about each of the players a bit. Especially the graduating seniors. John Iati will be getting a masters degree next fall. Gave most co-improved player awards to Al Turley and Tim Ambrose. Brian Lillis got MVP and best defensive player. Also gave a group award and plaque to each senior for the class having the most wins by an UA D1 class.

He can't comment on the record on the schedule until it is finalized. But parts of the schedule are so easy to figure out that Singelais could figure out which state the game is in. I mean, a game in the home state of our 4 year seniors. Duh.

Whoops, forgot to mention, I think Josh Martin was the only returning not there due to family commitments.

TV-13 and Fox cameras were there.

Elaine and Doc Sauers were there; the most-improved award was named for him.

Billy Allen started working out full-time a month ago.

Al Turley, 330 pounds in high school, 311 when he arrived here, had gotten down to 260 but has been hitting the weights so hard he's back up to 282 even though his body fat's still going down.

TV-13 and Fox cameras were there.

Elaine and Doc Sauers were there; the most-improved award was named for him.

Billy Allen started working out full-time a month ago.

Al Turley, 330 pounds in high school, 311 when he arrived here, had gotten down to 260 but has been hitting the weights so hard he's back up to 282 even though his body fat's still going down.

I like to hear that Doc and Elaine still have a part of the program. Both are such great people.

Billy Allen...can't wait to see him play.

Love that Al Turley is putting the muscle on...he is going to be a load.

Bob - any TV or TU coverage at the event?

As UAlum72 has already said there were 2 TV channels there, but I did not see TU there. They must figure that they only need one staff person covering UA athletics and he had an article on football and lacrosse on line in today's paper.

BTW, did anyone see the coverage on TV. I did not but the TV channels interviewed Coach Brown. The interviews took place pretty early. I think even early enough to get it on the 6PM news.

Archived