UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA Hosting the AE Basketball Championships in 2009!!!

UA_MA_2000 - Take the "Leaster" with a grain of salt!!!

She/he likes to bust chops, especially when it comes to UA. Take his/her opinion as just that the opinion of one individual.

Bing and the real BU had much better facilities to host the tourney then UA.

It's Dr. Mc's job to make the tourney fan and family friendly.

Lets face the truth our bathroom facilities are minimal and of poor quality, our concessions are nearly non existent.

We have minimal chairbacks which make it tough on those who want to see all/most of the games.

What we should have is a deisre to host a fun event.

I agree with Patch on "Leaster."

I might also add that there is a contingent of people in the America East who still think of the league as a basically New England phenomenon. They have not become used to the concept that about 1/2 of the membership (for most sports) is NOT in New England. So, for them, if Boston or some other NE city is not hosting the tournament, then it's just not up to par with their standards.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did anyone else see America Least's comment about Albany getting the Tournament next year?

While I agree with that blogger about the concessions (though I expect a lot of improvements in that category by the time the Tournament rolls around), I took issue with this statement:

"Albany is a upgrade over Binghamton, NY...but not by that much. That would be like asking me to decide between boning Betty White or Estelle Getty."

Is he serious? What criteria is he using to form that conclusion? Isn't that blogger also from Albany?

He's a UVM fan that at one time called coach Brown a Stony Brook bag......must be really frustrated at UVM's inability to beat/get past Albany. His rants get more classless with each loss!

First off, thanks to everybody for their responses to my question, I appreciate the insight!! Lee has already said "We now have a lot of work to do" when it comes to getting ready for next year's tourney. I am sure they would not have been granted the tourney unless significant upgrades to the facilities in SEFCU were involved in the proposal.

I am sure they would not have been granted the tourney unless significant upgrades to the facilities in SEFCU were involved in the proposal. - I rock the cape

I think much of the "Getting the Tourney" is more to the tune of how much $$$$$ you guarantee the AE the rest is facilities. SEFCU is the perfect size for the Tourney (not too small not too big). Its shortcomings have already been mentioned. UA is located fairly centrally for most AE fans.

The Capitol Region offers plenty of hotels, fine restaurants (besides the "Across the Street Pub"), entertainment, museums and shopping malls.

UA_MA_2000 - Take the "Leaster" with a grain of salt!!!

She/he likes to bust chops, especially when it comes to UA. Take his/her opinion as just that the opinion of one individual.

Bing and the real BU had much better facilities to host the tourney then UA.

It's Dr. Mc's job to make the tourney fan and family friendly.

Lets face the truth our bathroom facilities are minimal and of poor quality, our concessions are nearly non existent.

We have minimal chairbacks which make it tough on those who want to see all/most of the games.

What we should have is a deisre to host a fun event.

You're definitely right -- I think I might have mis-read the Least's blog entry as one that was comparing the two cities; but, rather, he probably was comparing the basketball venues. I do like Agganis Arena and Bingo Arena a lot.

I am sure they would not have been granted the tourney unless significant upgrades to the facilities in SEFCU were involved in the proposal. - I rock the cape

I think much of the "Getting the Tourney" is more to the tune of how much $$$$$ you guarantee the AE the rest is facilities. SEFCU is the perfect size for the Tourney (not too small not too big). Its shortcomings have already been mentioned. UA is located fairly centrally for most AE fans.

The Capitol Region offers plenty of hotels, fine restaurants (besides the "Across the Street Pub"), entertainment, museums and shopping malls.

Moreover, we have the amphibious Aquaducks tour bus/boat/duck vehicle for the Binghamton fans to utilize when going between their motel and SEFCU Arena for Friday night's game. And so as to not make the weekend trip a complete waste after a Friday night exit, Bingo fans can use their Saturday afternoon to take the Acquaduck boat/bus to tour Bingo's sister city, Schenectady (*just teasing*).

Acquaducks Homepage

I also agree with I Rock the Cape that there are improvements planned in the near future for the SEFCU that went hand-in-hand with earning the bid to host the Tournament.

I'm sure - improvements have to be made.

What extent of improvements are you talking about?????

Full chairbacks on both sides?

Luxury boxes?

More bathroom facilities?

True concession stand (s)?

Please give me an idea of what you think these improvements might be or where they will be located.

Nothing physical can get done in the summer - the Giants own the facility then.

I'm sure - improvements have to be made.

What extent of improvements are you talking about?????

Full chairbacks on both sides?

Luxury boxes?

More bathroom facilities?

True concession stand (s)?

Please give me an idea of what you think these improvements might be or where they will be located.

Nothing physical can get done in the summer - the Giants own the facility then.

Speaking of the NY Giants:

How about a nice 75million dollar donation from the New York Giants to the University of Albany, funding the new

WELLINGTON T. MARA STADIUM on the UAlbany campus.

As far as improvements go, I was just hoping for a better selection of concessions: Pizza and cheeseburgers would be nice. Perhaps they'll implement a directional scheme for bathroom traffic as well? Hmm, open grills with food outside between the CU and the Phys. Educ. buildings? New Scoreboard from the rafters? Beats me...

Beyond that, I think Patch makes an astute point -- when and how would they find time (and/or space) to make substantial upgrades/changes?

I might also add that there is a contingent of people in the America East who still think of the league as a basically New England phenomenon. They have not become used to the concept that about 1/2 of the membership (for most sports) is NOT in New England. So, for them, if Boston or some other NE city is not hosting the tournament, then it's just not up to par with their standards.

Speaking as a transplanted Midwesterner, I would classify Albany as New England or at least "the gateway to New England." I'm sure to get flamed from all sides, but consider the older architecture, the proximity to places like Hartford, Vermont and Mass, the Sox/Patriots following, plus the plethora of Friendly's restaurants. Stony Brook is Longisland (one word), and Bingo is just a hole. But I would classify Albany as definitely having a New England vibe with an added bit of NYC confusion. One of my Midwestern friends even told me I don't pronounce my R's as much anymore (or is that "anymoah"?).

Happy weekend to all,

S$

As far as updates/renovations at SEFCU figuring into us getting the tourney or renovations being planned as a result of securing the tourney...I don't think those things were real factors or considerations (a revenue guarantee is the big enchilada in getting an event like this...) I would expect a coat of paint, maybe two or three additional portable concession venues and some rest room signage and maybe some kind of fan fest type event outside....beyond that I would not expect much new or different inside...(although personally I'd like to see those "individual scoring/rebounds/fouls" scoreboards on the walls behind each basket...they would add to the game experience and would seem to be pretty easy to retrofit into the building!!!!.)...UA getting the tourney is the result , I would surmise, of some combination of the following:

A. U-A's on court success and overall success as an A-E member institution;

B. U-A's attendance figures

C. The size of our market and availability of transport and lodging

D. U-A'S central location relative to other member schools

E. (Sorry folks, our ambivalence to Loudonville notwithstanding, but this next one is simple unfettered truth) It is a convenient year to hold it at U-A as there is no local competition from the MAAC tourney since its not in Albany this year...(this was a very significant factor in this decision, I know folks in the Athletic Departmen have been working to set this up for awhile and the timing for having it in Albany in 09 was one of thier pitches to the other league members...of that I am quite certain).

F. Conference politics-we're good conference citizens...we've earned it...bascially-- its our turn, plain and simple.

I would expect that Hartford will get to host in the following year since they were the other bidder.. they have a centrally-located, well sized facility and they probably deserve a turn also.(attendance will be an issue for them to overcome however...).Personally, I would not be unhappy with an Albany-Hartford-Boston-Bingo rotation for the tourney...every four years at home the first weekend in March would be great!

That all said its absolutely great that its coming and getting the other AD's and the league to buy in to Albany when BUMA BUNY have done good jobs in the last few years was not an easy feat for Dr M and his staff, I am sure...I want to see us make the most of this opportunity and hopefully seriously challenge Bingo's attendance records...with a good and effective marketing plan it can be done. I hope the local business community comes through and supports this event with enthusiasm!

Do the Giants work out there all summer?? Training camp doesn't start until a little bit later on...what about starting those improvements after finals, and getting them done by August? I know that is quick, but if that was included in their proposal, i'm sure they already have it planned out who would do it, how much it would cost, etc

Guys...there will not be renovations. Where do you think the $$$ are coming from. We would have announced and done them already.

The Arena is out of possession from sometime in early July, maybe even sooner, until the Giants leave. They bring their ENTIRE LOCKER ROOM and TRAINING FACILITY up here. It is a massive feat.

Any major renovations would cost more than we could probably afford at this time. Signage to direct crowds to the floor toilets and into University Gym, maybe use UG for the souvenir sales to free up room in the RACC atrium. The biggest improvement to concessions would be to get somebody else to run them - like any ex-assistant manager from McDonald's.

Personally, I would not be unhappy with an Albany-Hartford-Boston-Bingo rotation for the tourney...every four years at home the first weekend in March would be great!

I'm sure when the renovations are done, Stony Brook will be bidding and will get to host - if they ever give a sign of drawing more than flies and being able to make it to Sunday, unless they've already moved to the ACC by then

Archived