UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Scrimmage story

I heavent had much time to put fingers to keyboard regarding yesterdays scrimmage, but just some observations now that I have a sec.

- As DP said, there was a noticeable difference in conditioning of the returning players and the freshmen especially the true freshmen. Timmy was noticeably winded and in the second half had a couple of opportunities to put it down and simply lacked the bounce. I'm sure at the rate these guys are going everyone will be ready to go in another 3 weeks or so.

- I was most impressed with Jerrel. The kid has incredible athleticism, was all over the court he, IMO will be a starter at the 3 spot right of the bat. He seems to have the complete package, size, speed outside inside game. I'm really excited about him and what he can do especially as he gets more comfortable. Seems to have a great motor getting after it and not taking any plays of.

- Turley is a very big kid, with great mobility. Loved how he creates space for himself down on the block, has quick feet. Didn't display much offense away from the bucket but with his size and abilities down low he doesn't have to. Especially not right now, if he can defend the low block, get some rebounds I'd be very happy with him. He is an impressive specimen.

- Josh Martin should be a very solid PG for us right from the get-go. He appears to be one of the better on ball defenders I've ever seen at UA. His D was so good it actually stood out. Josh has great quickness with the ball seemed to penetrate at will as well as pushing the ball out on the break. I don't seem to remember anything about his shooting, perhaps because I was so impressed with his D. He was matched up with Rob most of the game and Rob seemed to deal just fine with the defensive pressure. Other then that not much stood out about Rob. Didn't notice anything negative about him either. Reid Anderson looked like he put on some more muscle, he has a huge wingspan and should be a great defender. He seems to be an intangible's guy can't underestimate his importance to this team.

- As DP said, Giff looks exponentially more comfortable out there this season. Seems to be in better shape as he was able to get up and down the court with the rest of the guys (was a bit of a problem last season especially early). Played solid D in getting some blocks overall not a bad showing.

- Jimmy and Brian C. looked good. Jimmy was mostly down on the block, banged a little with the other bigs got some rebounds, hit some FT if my memory serves me. At one point he called for a huddle, displayed great leadership out there, not surprised he was picked tri-captain. Brian looked comfortable out there, seems to have a nice, developing mid range game. Hit a couple of baseline extended jumpers, soft touch good D. Looks like he's gotten even stronger without limiting his mobility. He'll probably be the first big of the bench and I look for him to start when Brent graduates.

- Lillis and Brent were solid. Brent didn't play the whole game Lillis played most of the game. We know what to expect out of these two guys. Lillis yet again looks somewhat hesitant to shoot there were a couple of times he could have pulled the trigger but differed to someone else. I'm not sure how much additional offense we can expect out of him. Again, he played most of the game, this is after a grueling practice schedule so this all could change when we are playing a real game. Played his usual great D, I'm not worried about him at all.

- Due to the grueling schedule they were noticeably tired especially Ambrose as I have no doubt had he been rested would have had a number of crazy dunks. Considering how tired they were they still managed to put on a good show. I love how this team looks, I like the combination of outside inside players, we have big men who can step out, we have guards who can get into the lane and kick (Ambrose, Martin). As this team gets more comfortable with each other they could be very very good. I love the talent coach Brown is brigning in, IMO we can compete for the AE title once again. I'm not saying we are gonna win but we certainly have the horses to compete.

- Billy and John were not playing do to some health concerns. John should be coming around in another few weeks and Billy if his back doesn't improve IMO should consider red shirting.

P.S. After watching the scrimage my starting linup right now would be....

PG - Brian - The only other logical place to put him would be the 3 spot.

SG - Tim - Needs to catch his wind and look to pass a bit more but overall a very nice player

SF - Jerrel - Very impressed by his play, he should start right of the bat

PF - Brent - No need to explain why

C - Gif - Looks much more comfortable out there, displayed good D

Thanks bosiydid

I was just thinking about what you wrote regarding a gruelling schedule.

First practice 3 hours Friday evening then 3 hour practice Saturday morning and 1 hour for scrimmage early Saturday afternoon.

That's 7 hours of concentrated effort in about an 18 hour period, that seems like it could result in alot of tired legs.

I'm hoping Iati and Allen can get back to practicing full time.

I heavent had much time to put fingers to keyboard regarding yesterdays scrimmage, but just some observations now that I have a sec.

- As DP said, there was a noticeable difference in conditioning of the returning players and the freshmen especially the true freshmen. Timmy was noticeably winded and in the second half had a couple of opportunities to put it down and simply lacked the bounce. I'm sure at the rate these guys are going everyone will be ready to go in another 3 weeks or so.

I was most impressed with Jerrel. The kid has incredible athleticism, was all over the court he, IMO will be a starter at the 3 spot right of the bat. He seems to have the complete package, size, speed outside inside game. I'm really excited about him and what he can do especially as he gets more comfortable. Seems to have a great motor getting after it and not taking any plays of.

- Turley is a very big kid, with great mobility. Loved how he creates space for himself down on the block, has quick feet. Didn't display much offense away from the bucket but with his size and abilities down low he doesn't have to. Especially not right now, if he can defend the low block, get some rebounds I'd be very happy with him. He is an impressive specimen.

- Josh Martin should be a very solid PG for us right from the get-go. He appears to be one of the better on ball defenders I've ever seen at UA. His D was so good it actually stood out. Josh has great quickness with the ball seemed to penetrate at will as well as pushing the ball out on the break. I don't seem to remember anything about his shooting, perhaps because I was so impressed with his D. He was matched up with Rob most of the game and Rob seemed to deal just fine with the defensive pressure. Other then that not much stood out about Rob. Didn't notice anything negative about him either. Reid Anderson looked like he put on some more muscle, he has a huge wingspan and should be a great defender. He seems to be an intangible's guy can't underestimate his importance to this team.

- As DP said, Giff looks exponentially more comfortable out there this season. Seems to be in better shape as he was able to get up and down the court with the rest of the guys (was a bit of a problem last season especially early). Played solid D in getting some blocks overall not a bad showing.

- Jimmy and Brian C. looked good. Jimmy was mostly down on the block, banged a little with the other bigs got some rebounds, hit some FT if my memory serves me. At one point he called for a huddle, displayed great leadership out there, not surprised he was picked tri-captain. Brian looked comfortable out there, seems to have a nice, developing mid range game. Hit a couple of baseline extended jumpers, soft touch good D. Looks like he's gotten even stronger without limiting his mobility. He'll probably be the first big of the bench and I look for him to start when Brent graduates.

- Lillis and Brent were solid. Brent didn't play the whole game Lillis played most of the game. We know what to expect out of these two guys. Lillis yet again looks somewhat hesitant to shoot there were a couple of times he could have pulled the trigger but differed to someone else. I'm not sure how much additional offense we can expect out of him. Again, he played most of the game, this is after a grueling practice schedule so this all could change when we are playing a real game. Played his usual great D, I'm not worried about him at all.

- Due to the grueling schedule they were noticeably tired especially Ambrose as I have no doubt had he been rested would have had a number of crazy dunks. Considering how tired they were they still managed to put on a good show. I love how this team looks, I like the combination of outside inside players, we have big men who can step out, we have guards who can get into the lane and kick (Ambrose, Martin). As this team gets more comfortable with each other they could be very very good. I love the talent coach Brown is brigning in, IMO we can compete for the AE title once again. I'm not saying we are gonna win but we certainly have the horses to compete.

- Billy and John were not playing do to some health concerns. John should be coming around in another few weeks and Billy if his back doesn't improve IMO should consider red shirting.

SG - Tim - Needs to catch his wind and look to pass a bit more but overall a very nice player

I was most impressed with Jerrel. The kid has incredible athleticism, was all over the court he, IMO will be a starter at the 3 spot right of the bat. He seems to have the complete package, size, speed outside inside game. I'm really excited about him and what he can do especially as he gets more comfortable. Seems to have a great motor getting after it and not taking any plays of.

Just an FYI, Tim is a redshirt freshman, Josh is a true freshman. All in all, they were pretty tired but did not have a bad showing considering.

Here's my starting 5:

1Josh - pg

2. Tim - sg

3. Lillis -f

4. Wilson - f

5. Gifford- C

Conditioning a side, I think the strength of our team this year is the frontcourt

Brent Wilson- We know what to expect solid low post player, can stretch the D-fense with the 3, will take a lot of charges.

Brian Connelly- Good midrange shot, athletic, solid D

Jimmy Covington- Strong move to the basket, not affraid to get physical, automatic from the charity stripe, turning into a solid leader.

Brent Gifford- Looked really comfortable out there. Made a lot of good plays on Defense, we all know how good his soft touch is, and it looked like he worked on his foot work.

Al Turley- I made the comment to DP and GD06 yesterday, looks like Big Baby from LSU. Great at creating space, seemed like he could play solid D and get up the court. Only concern is that he will have foul trouble but thats normal for freshman big men.

Its safe to say that all five could probably start on most teams in the AE.

I would look for a lot of teams to play zone on us, and try to make our perimeter players win. Iati and Anderson look like they could be our two guys from beyond the arc.

As of right now the way I see the starting lineup

PG Lillis- Senior, if you have been around the last 3 season you know what to expect. AE DPY

SG Anderson or Iati- Need to have someone who is not affraid to put it up from beyond the arc here. I know most people would put Ambrose here but I didn't see enough yesterday. I think Ambrose should come off the bench at the start of the season then as his game develops look for him to crack the starting lineup by confrence. Right now IMHO the SG goes to Anderson, I don't know how Iati is going to respond to being injured and I fear matchup problems with a 5'9 guard.

SF- Hastings- He was the most impressive out of all the newcomers.

PF- Wilson- No explanation needed

C- Covington- Started last year looked good yesterday, expect a break out year.

I have no clue as what direction our starting lineup will go.

I like Lillis and Brent as starters.

Brent is solid at the 4 but I like Connelly alot and his mid range game is pretty damn good.

My problem is that I don't know if I like Lillis at the 1 or the 3. He's just got to be out there. In a conference like the AE I think he would be very tough to defend at the 3 and that would open his offensive game. I think Hastings has to get alot of minutes at the 3 but that will be tough if Lillis is there. Anderson also should get minutes at the 3.

If Lillis is at the 1 it stifles Josh Martin's growth and confidence. Martin at 6'2" is a big PG and seems to be a playmaker/creator.

At the 2 who knows Iati, Ambrose, Moores, Anderson. I really liked Anderson's game last year and now with the added bulk and strength and with his length it is going to be hard to keep him off the floor. Iati is a pure situational player who can and has turned around many games for us. Moores is suppose to be a solid shooter, I have to see more of him. Ambrose is a tank - definitely a DI body, powerful, quick and can really elevate, man it's hard not to play him. He led us in scoring in Barbados and again led his team in scoring yesterday and really didn't shoot it well.

Gifford, Covington and Turley, the 5 is going to be by committee until someone separates themselves fro the pack. That's a nice problem to have at the 5.

Finally from what I've read and heard Billy Allen can really stroke it from deep and he looks bigger size wise then Lillis but I don't think he's as strong as Lillis. If healthy will he get minutes at the 2, 3 or possibly even the 4????

As you can see (as usual) I am totally confused by this team.

It should be real interesting to see who plays minutes in the scrimmages against (I think) LIU and St Johns.

Then I wonder who will get time vs Bucknell.

And, finally who will be in the main rotation when AE play opens @ UNH.

The one thing for sure there should be some wars in practice, especially after the 1st scrimmage when guys don't get the minutes they expected, right now they probably all believe their going to play 30-35 minutes.

I like lillis at the 3. He is more of a threat when he's not running the offense and is moving without the ball. He plays with such intensity, and has been prone to foul trouble, so there should be minutes for Hastings also. Jerel looked very good to me. I think Brent and Connelly will share the time at the 4. Brent hasn't been healthy yet, so he's behind in conditioning. Brent's offensive game has greater range, but Connelly is deadly in the 10-15 range. I think the whole team rebounds pretty well. The committee at the 5 sounds good to me. We have nice depth on this squad, which is nice. Good competition for minutes across the board.

Some of you may be shocked at this, but after seeing most of the scrimmage I think I have a lot of faith in this year's team. Even with Raffa's SAT woes and the potential of a redshirted Allen, I have faith that this team will try its hardest to stay on top of the America East even with the odds being tossed in front of them.

I might sound crazy, but I have an odd feeling we're going to cream $iena and give Duke a run for their money.

Some of you may be shocked at this, but after seeing most of the scrimmage I think I have a lot of faith in this year's team. Even with Raffa's SAT woes and the potential of a redshirted Allen, I have faith that this team will try its hardest to stay on top of the America East even with the odds being tossed in front of them.

I might sound crazy, but I have an odd feeling we're going to cream $iena and give Duke a run for their money.

Love the optimism Scrabby! :D

Archived