UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2017 Football Recruits/Commits

Three new commits - transfers from Lacawanna

Shane Schuback, LB

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4515675/57d5ce0911fa7f75d8ee2f0f

Justin Walker, LB

http://www.hudl.com/v/13Tqsw

Jerod Diggs, WR

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/7448156/57e16e9cbd7520211c3f851a

Schuback had an offer from SEC school Miss St. Wow. Good get

So far:

Karl Mofor RB 5’9 185

Anthony Lang OLB 6’3 225

Shane Schuback ILB 6’2 238

Justin Walker LB 6’1 230

Eric Carter OL 6’4 280

Hunter Verdi OL 6’5 310

Ryan Solt OG 6’3 290

Zach Verdi DE 6’2 245

Daniel Banks DB 5’10 165

Damon Burton Jr. DB 5’10 170

Jerod Diggs WR 6’0 187

Marquis Thorne WR 6’4 204

Guys, while I understand (as you all know) that our QB situation was not great, I beg to differ on the JUCO QB route.

I've been around or rooted for teams that have had numerous JUCO or Transfer QB's. It's a crapshoot to catch "lightening" in a bottle, with guys like Flacco, Devlin, and others who have been hits over the years.

I really think that a fully healed (arm issue showed lack of strength) Brunson is potentially "that guy" who can run a system like Gattuso likes to run. He isn't flashy, but he has moxie and definitely helped our team. He's had less than a 1/4 of the season getting time...heck less than that. I really would like to see him have the full shot/run.

I do think that I'd like to see Gattuso recruit a kid--for the future--that is more of a downfield passer than the previous kids he has recruited (like I said, I think Brunson is the exception, as he is a downfield passer).

QB is definitely a need (as in a back-up at the minimum)...but I really like what he has done with this class so far. Seems like some big wins for the staff so far.

Guys, while I understand (as you all know) that our QB situation was not great, I beg to differ on the JUCO QB route.

I've been around or rooted for teams that have had numerous JUCO or Transfer QB's. It's a crapshoot to catch "lightening" in a bottle, with guys like Flacco, Devlin, and others who have been hits over the years.

I really think that a fully healed (arm issue showed lack of strength) Brunson is potentially "that guy" who can run a system like Gattuso likes to run. He isn't flashy, but he has moxie and definitely helped our team. He's had less than a 1/4 of the season getting time...heck less than that. I really would like to see him have the full shot/run.

I do think that I'd like to see Gattuso recruit a kid--for the future--that is more of a downfield passer than the previous kids he has recruited (like I said, I think Brunson is the exception, as he is a downfield passer).

QB is definitely a need (as in a back-up at the minimum)...but I really like what he has done with this class so far. Seems like some big wins for the staff so far.

Didn't mean as a definite starter, but at least someone to challenge who I think should be the 1st string QB in the spring which is Brunson. We know what Sussman and Crook are...they should never start another game for UA. And we can't just hand the reigns to Brunson, need competition in IMO as competition breeds performance or what not.

• Like 1

I like that with each new class our LB's get bigger and bigger and seem to be very athletic. 6'2 and 240 is a perfect size as long as they have speed as well. We need more size up front on the D Line. Couple of 6'4-6'5 250-275lbs DT's would be great. Need some run stuffers. Our OL has had "decent" size but will need to be replaced.

Will need a tail back if Hanks takes a medical redshirt for his knee. QB aahhhh I just don't know if we have the horses in the barn. Maybe a JUCO transfer to "hold the fort" wouldn't be a bad idea. But like Dane 96, I prefer to see them groomed from within the program

Ibn Foster was a 300 DT who took a redshirt this year - I remember the coaches being very high on him. There were also a couple of other redshirt DT's this year that were pretty good size who should contribute next year.

My biggest question now is the OL. There are a lot of bodies but the returnees don't have any experience and the newcomers will probably need some development.

If I had to guess I'd away the best RB on this team if Hanks has to take a redshirt is Eli Mencer - but do you change positions again? I ink he came in as a RB and then was moved to LB.

As far as QB, Croons is graduating which leaves us only two on the roster. So look to see at least one if not two QB picked up.

Btw. Did Nicastro graduate. For some reason I thought he had a year of eigibility left

Yes, I believe he did. If I recall he was present at the family senior day thing on the field before the SB game. That's why I thought Crook didn't cause I can't remember his name being called lol.

As far as QB, Croons is graduating which leaves us only two on the roster. So look to see at least one if not two QB picked up.

Btw. Did Nicastro graduate. For some reason I thought he had a year of eigibility left

Incorrect; Jake Thompson is a RS QB on the roster (was part of the class coming in this past season).

Edited by Dane96

Incorrect; Jake Thompson is a RS QB on the roster (was part of the class coming in this past season).

And that's exactly why I come to this board. Thanks for the correction.

He may have gotten a sixth year of eligibility after the ACL but I assumed he was graduating. Same situation as Nic Ketter and Jack Forster. That's part of the challenge of redshirting freshmen - if they also get a medical redshirt later in their career, then you're asking them to play a sixth year and that's a lot to ask. That said, I assume that none of those three are returning but they could have all gotten a sixth year - don't know.