UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[MBB] Game #16: 1/3/18 - 7:00pm - vs Hartford

Eli

I have not commented til now bc I did not want to make any rash judgements. Hartford played very well and was very well coached for this game . Everything everybody is saying is correct especially our defense . But let's face it . We r 15 + games into the season . It's not going to get much better . Where I differentiate from you guys is if I were Brown at this point to would embrace our offensive part of the game . Put the best 5 offense players out there . Let's face it Campbell is ok on D and absolutely lost on O. Remove him and play someone else . Open up the offense and RUN, RUN, RUN. But it starts with removing Campbell until he is not an absolute liability on Offense . His mediocre Defenese does not make up for is Terrible Offense. Just my opinion.

Wait till you get Campbell out... Gonna give up 90. He's always on the best wing or guard.

Offense is the least of our issues. Highly efficient all year.

BTW... We are 12-4 not 4-12

12-4 is great . Not complaining about that at all . Campbell is a good defender . (I would say very slightly above average , on a bad defensive team right now) but offensively, 30 mins 0 rebounds, 2 assists and 3 points . I don't think the next guy off the bench is 20 points defensively worse then Campbell ( giving up 70 a game) and I dont think its time to panic at all . I'm just saying maybe cut his minutes to 20 a game if he is playing the same way. That's all Edited by UA1882

I have not commented til now bc I did not want to make any rash judgements. Hartford played very well and was very well coached for this game . Everything everybody is saying is correct especially our defense . But let's face it . We r 15 + games into the season . It's not going to get much better . Where I differentiate from you guys is if I were Brown at this point to would embrace our offensive part of the game . Put the best 5 offense players out there . Let's face it Campbell is ok on D and absolutely lost on O. Remove him and play someone else . Open up the offense and RUN, RUN, RUN. But it starts with removing Campbell until he is not an absolute liability on Offense . His mediocre Defenese does not make up for is Terrible Offense. Just my opinion.

Wait till you get Campbell out... Gonna give up 90. He's always on the best wing or guard.

Offense is the least of our issues. Highly efficient all year.

BTW... We are 12-4 not 4-12

Whats our efficiency on three compared to the rest of the conference. Its the most important shot now a days and we have one consistent shooter right now. Campbell is absolutely a disaster from deep.

According to Wylands show, at halftime CB went into the locker room,, pulled out a chair, crossed his legs and said since nobody on this team is upset about this game, Im not going to be either.

Softest group ever. Probably a generational thing.
Same old same old..every generation thinks the next is lazy and sucks..lol.

1993 article... http://www.newsweek.com/whiny-generation-194042

Probably, but these kids probably never lived life without a smartphone in their hand. Theres just something different.
1993 article...

"Growing up in the '70s and '80s, the twentysomethings were indulged with every toy, game and electronic device available. They didn't even have to learn how to amuse themselves since Mom and Dad were always there to ferry them from one organized activity to another."

And what does a smartphone have anything to do with anything? If it's not a smartphone it's an Atari.

Or how about quotes from 1700 or 1800s that say same thing about young people... http://mentalfloss.com/article/52209/15-historical-complaints-about-young-people-ruining-everything

Some how those same 20 yr olds with smartphones in their hands at Hartford had urgency and hardness to win.

Maybe we just have a team with players who have a personality where they do not understand the urgency of playing the game. And that's on the coaching staff to figure out how to get them to understand that or for them to change the personnel on the court to people who do. But as others have stated in this thread.. it's kind of hard when we have a bench that's not doing much, three red shirts and someone named Xavier who's kind of MIA. Just my 2cents.

Edited by MRSGDG
  • Like 1

According to Wylands show, at halftime CB went into the locker room,, pulled out a chair, crossed his legs and said since nobody on this team is upset about this game, Im not going to be either.

Probably, but these kids probably never lived life without a smartphone in their hand. Theres just something different.
1993 article...

"Growing up in the '70s and '80s, the twentysomethings were indulged with every toy, game and electronic device available. They didn't even have to learn how to amuse themselves since Mom and Dad were always there to ferry them from one organized activity to another."

And what does a smartphone have anything to do with anything? If it's not a smartphone it's an Atari.

Or how about quotes from 1700 or 1800s that say same thing about young people... http://mentalfloss.com/article/52209/15-historical-complaints-about-young-people-ruining-everything

Some how those same 20 yr olds with smartphones in their hands at Hartford had urgency and hardness to win.

Maybe we just have a team with players who have a personality where they do not understand the urgency of playing the game. And that's on the coaching staff to figure out how to get them to understand that or for them to change the personnel on the court to people who do. But as others have stated in this thread.. it's kind of hard when we have a bench that's not doing much, three red shirts and someone named Xavier who's kind of MIA. Just my 2cents.

I dont see how an Atari is comparable to a smartphone. Also never said smartphones were the reason why they were soft. Agree with you on the last paragraph though.

1993 article...

I dont see how an Atari is comparable to a smartphone. Also never said smartphones were the reason why they were soft. Agree with you on the last paragraph though.

I quoted UA1882 re: smartphone.

So I'm going back through the game now. Just finished the first half and here's the breakdown of what happened on offense between us having a 16-12 lead and Hartford going up 26-16:

Turnover by big

missed three (solid look vs zone)

missed shot on drive by big

turnover by big

missed layup by guard

turnover by big

None of these plays involved Charles, Cremo or Nichols

From that point on until halftime we got our offense from Nichols and Cremo. There was one shot I didn't like from Nichols (a long two in transition that imo should've been a three or nothing) and another three you could question since there was 18 seconds left on the shot clock... but to be fair his shoulders were square and he had just hit a couple over the past few possessions.

So as of half we're down 41-31 and the narrative of either of our stars offensively being the reason is wrong. Getting to the second half now so I'll edit this once I'm done.

Team probably had 3-4 bad possessions in the stretch between halftime until when Hartford led by 20 with 11:36 left. Nichols missed long two, Campbell missed three, Nichols turnover. There's others you can question...a Cremo long three (I didn't hate it, I'd like for him to shoot more), Clark missed three w/16 left on shot clock (again he's usually been hitting so I don't hate it), Campbell missed runner at the rim (he usually gets fouled on them so I don't hate it), broadcast missed a Nichols three attempt off an inbounds so I have no ides about it.

Defense is a whole other story in this one.

Edited by ZLK

Maybe he'll figure it out more as we get deeper into conference play..but Xavier looked absolutely lost in the few games he played during OOC. Not sure if posters here are forgetting that play or just want to see it again? If he was forcing Coach Brown's hand through practice, etc..then he'd be out there. I will trust that more than a "he's so athletic" narrative from 2 years ago. Hopefully we can stretch it out in a game soon to get him some low pressure play. But it's not productive to have him learn on the go during important gametime in AEast games.

Campbell is underrated on D by too many on this board..IMO. He always guards the opposing team's best 1-3..whether he's 5'11" or 6'6"..whether he's a fast driver or a big body shooter. Total points isn't always a good measurement. Against Kent St., his guy scored 20 points..but on 8-27 shooting. I'll take that every single game. And no matter how good he is..he can't cover for Nichols' or Cremo's deficiencies on D.

• Like 2

Maybe he'll figure it out more as we get deeper into conference play..but Xavier looked absolutely lost in the few games he played during OOC. Not sure if posters here are forgetting that play or just want to see it again? If he was forcing Coach Brown's hand through practice, etc..then he'd be out there. I will trust that more than a "he's so athletic" narrative from 2 years ago. Hopefully we can stretch it out in a game soon to get him some low pressure play. But it's not productive to have him learn on the go during important gametime in AEast games.

Campbell is underrated on D by too many on this board..IMO. He always guards the opposing team's best 1-3..whether he's 5'11" or 6'6"..whether he's a fast driver or a big body shooter. Total points isn't always a good measurement. Against Kent St., his guy scored 20 points..but on 8-27 shooting. I'll take that every single game. And no matter how good he is..he can't cover for Nichols' or Cremo's deficiencies on D.

Who was his responsibiiity vs. Hartford?

Who was his responsibiiity vs. Hartford?

Campbell guarded that quick point guard who scored 13 in first half, for almost the entire 2nd half and held him scoreless until the end after Nichols covered him in the first half. I believe he made 2 foul shots and ended with 15????

Just my opinion.........

It seems to me that CB has great faith in Campbell's ability to defend. Campbell seems fine on defense but sometimes his back court mates don't do what they're responsible for and it makes it look like it was Campbell who screwed up or forces Campbell to help when he is not suppose to because someone has clearly gotten beat off the dribble. This also affects how our bigs rotate and defend they're be asking to help too much off back court dribble penetration..

Many fans don't get the concept that defense though at times is individual it also relies on teamwork, it's all about the scout and knowing when to switch when not to, when to hedge hard and when not to hedge hard, when to under screens and when to go over screens.

Sometimes as fans we really don't know who has responsibility for what only the coaches and team do.

• Like 3

Just my opinion.........

It seems to me that CB has great faith in Campbell's ability to defend. Campbell seems fine on defense but sometimes his back court mates don't do what they're responsible for and it makes it look like it was Campbell who screwed up or forces Campbell to help when he is not suppose to because someone has clearly gotten beat off the dribble. This also affects how our bigs rotate and defend they're be asking to help too much off back court dribble penetration..

Many fans don't get the concept that defense though at times is individual it also relies on teamwork, it's all about the scout and knowing when to switch when not to, when to hedge hard and when not to hedge hard, when to under screens and when to go over screens.

Sometimes as fans we really don't know who has responsibility for what only the coaches and team do.

I agree with you, Cremo's lack of lateral foot speed is a hindrance and when Stire pops up to help on the ball screen it takes him too long to get back to his man IMO causing openings for others

Solid defense is about energy more than anything else. You better be in peak shape if you are going to play solid defense and play 35 minutes per game.

New Hampshire apparently only has one ball handler and has had nothing but trouble with the press. UA has not pressed all season that I have seen outside of the last few minutes of close games, and has been pretty effective when they have done so.

This is where the quality of the bench is most important. We went into the season under the impression that we had 5 solid starters, 5 solid bench players, and 3 freshman that would red shirt because of injury or playing time concerns.

I would love to see Brown try to press much more and rotate and sub much more, but he can't do it if he has no confidence in the bench.

Re Cochran: he looked good in the purple and gold game, but has had no opportunity to play. My conspiracy theory is that he will get a few minutes in the first half in New Hampshire, play 15 the following game, and start to be part of the rotation in conference game 4. Like Campbell last season! (wishful thinking)

Anyway, the defense performing poorly against Hartford was 100% lack of energy and intensity.