UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Saints big test

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've always said I'd never go to any Siena game that was not the Danes v Siena. If I lived in the area though, it would be hard to resist Thursday's match up with 0-21 Iona.

Go Gaels

It probably would be funny reading on the Siena board, but no way they lose. Iona is 0-21 I'm not sure what I'd like to see more Siena lose or Iona go winless on the season. If Siena's RPI keeps dropping will they start to be a drag on our RPI or does it not matter for teams you lost to?

ALL of your opponents matter to your RPI, no matter if you beat them or not. But if they go low enough, a 'loss' can become a 'bad loss' if you're a bubble team for a tournament, which we're probably not - I don't think we're getting an at-large even to the NIT

I've always said I'd never go to any Siena game that was not the Danes v Siena. If I lived in the area though, it would be hard to resist Thursday's match up with 0-21 Iona.

Go Gaels

I am actually going to this game with a couple of Siena fans here at work. It will be my only Siena game this season besides our game. In early December, I picked this game to go to with the Siena fans because it was one of the few that didn't not conflict with our game. I actually would have liked to have gone to the Marist - Siena game but Siena in their "infinite" wisdom scheduled that the same day as an Albany game.

Anyway, this is a no lose game for me. I am going in expecting this to be the worst sporting event I ever attending (of more than 1500) with Iona losing an ugly game that would make the $1 Iona-Siena game from a couple of seasons ago look good.

But, if somehow Iona wins the game, the look on my coworkers Siena fans faces will be priceless.

I have really tried hard this season to stay out of the UAlbany-Siena smack that goes on in message boards. (The one exception is my insistence that UAlbany become the home team half the time in future annual games.) I almost think I deserve an award for my restraint.

But it has been a little difficult in the last few days to pass up on commenting on some of the posts I've read on their forum. To start out, most of the fans over there pass as decent human beings, and I think we have come a long way in gaining some necessary and due respect; however, some of their fans are still somewhat delusional.

In the "What a difference a shot makes. . ." thread, Hoops Dad comments, "I say be patient, supportive and vote with your season ticket renewals (or lack there of if you aren't happy with it). There is plenty of space on the comfy bleachers at the "SEFCU" to watch Stony Brook come to town."

This guy could not have better timing to make that post. What is he thinking? Thursday Siena will be playing Iona with a record of 0-21 and a current RPI of 321 out of 336 (lowest 5% of the country) in an arena that will, even on the biggest draws, have curtains shrouding major portions of the upper tier to camouflage empty seats .

And then UAalum72 reports that six days before the game only 250 tickets remain for the Big Purple Growl which will be our third sellout of the year - this time against Binghamton, not exactly the highest contender for the AE regular season crown this year. Moreover, we will have a very enthusiastic crowd for the game in contrast to the - let me be polite - sedate audience that will be reposing downtown.

What is this poster ingesting? Too much of the TUC concession food? I don't mean to start a flame war here between message boards, but it's interesting to see how different people view reality.

I have really tried hard this season to stay out of the UAlbany-Siena smack that goes on in message boards. (The one exception is my insistence that UAlbany become the home team half the time in future annual games.) I almost think I deserve an award for my restraint.

But it has been a little difficult in the last few days to pass up on commenting on some of the posts I've read on their forum. To start out, most of the fans over there pass as decent human beings, and I think we have come a long way in gaining some necessary and due respect; however, some of their fans are still somewhat delusional.

In the "What a difference a shot makes. . ." thread, Hoops Dad comments, "I say be patient, supportive and vote with your season ticket renewals (or lack there of if you aren't happy with it). There is plenty of space on the comfy bleachers at the "SEFCU" to watch Stony Brook come to town."

This guy could not have better timing to make that post. What is he thinking? Thursday Siena will be playing Iona with a record of 0-21 and a current RPI of 321 out of 336 (lowest 5% of the country) in an arena that will, even on the biggest draws, have curtains shrouding major portions of the upper tier to camouflage empty seats .

And then UAalum72 reports that six days before the game only 250 tickets remain for the Big Purple Growl which will be our third sellout of the year - this time against Binghamton, not exactly the highest contender for the AE regular season crown this year. Moreover, we will have a very enthusiastic crowd for the game in contrast to the - let me be polite - sedate audience that will be reposing downtown.

What is this poster ingesting? Too much of the TUC concession food? I don't mean to start a flame war here between message boards, but it's interesting to see how different people view reality.

Here, Here. Olddog71! here, here

Here, Here. Olddog71! here, here

Olddog,

It's been a while since we've had one, perhaps we are due for one! I mean, I had a little tit for tat with Gorvy the other week but he isn't particularly bright. It just seems like a large potion of the posters are extremely frustrated and are taking it out one each other. "The sky is falling" is in full effect over there right now. SienaTony and a few others are trying to prevent mass suicide over there but I think some of them overestimated their development and now are pissed that the team isn't reaching the lofty expectations. It's a work in progress and they do have some talent, they need to calm down!

I also saw the irony in Hoops Dad's comment, they play in a building 2/3 empty and has the audacity to make a stupid comment like that. How comical, maybe if some more people defect they can move back to the on campus arena.

Olddog,

It's been a while since we've had one, perhaps we are due for one! I mean, I had a little tit for tat with Gorvy the other week but he isn't particularly bright. It just seems like a large potion of the posters are extremely frustrated and are taking it out one each other. "The sky is falling" is in full effect over there right now. SienaTony and a few others are trying to prevent mass suicide over there but I think some of them overestimated their development and now are pissed that the team isn't reaching the lofty expectations. It's a work in progress and they do have some talent, they need to calm down!

I also saw the irony in Hoops Dad's comment, they play in a building 2/3 empty and has the audacity to make a stupid comment like that. How comical, maybe if some more people defect they can move back to the on campus arena.

I agree with you about the current mental state of the posters over there, and a really compassionate person would have empathy for it. You really hit the head exactly with your description of the current situation.

It's not quite as bad as during the last year of Lanier, but it's edging closer. Once I described the atmosphere over there almost as cannibalistic in that last Lanier season.

Anyway, we have a great week facing us at SEFCU. Both games should be hard-fought contests, and the atmosphere should be just magnetic. I wish the Danes a lot of success.

Olddog,

I agree with you about the current mental state of the posters over there, and a really compassionate person would have empathy for it. You really hit the head exactly with your description of the current situation.

It's not quite as bad as during the last year of Lanier, but it's edging closer. Once I described the atmosphere over there almost as cannibalistic in that last Lanier season.

Anyway, we have a great week facing us at SEFCU. Both games should be hard-fought contests, and the atmosphere should be just magnetic. I wish the Danes a lot of success.

At least one sellout and probably pretty 75% - 85% at capacity for tomorrow. Can't beat that! Now if we could just crush the hated (at least by me) Bingo I'd be a very happy camper.

Last week Iona lost to Loyola by 10. The week before Loudenville lost to Loyola by 7. Call me crazy, but I see the game as a tossup.

I expect the Jewel of the MAAC to prevail, but who knows. If they win, and no one actually sees it, is it still a win?

You GO GAELS!

The BracketBusters MAAC opponents, as borrowed from their web-site:

Siena gets RPI #298, UAlbany gets RPI # 91. Now that's pretty good stuff.

Canisius( 210) at Coastal Carolina (266)

William & Mary ( 189) at Fairfield (259)

Iona(325) at Delaware ( 264)

Loyola (192.) at Tennessee State (225)

Manhattan(219) at Eastern Michigan ( 251)

Colgate ( 271) at Marist ( 129)

Liberty ( 299) at Niagara(229)

Murray State( 204) at Rider ( 182)

Saint Peter’s( 321) at Tennessee-Martin (315)

James Madison( 298) at Siena ( 130)

The BracketBusters MAAC opponents, as borrowed from their web-site:

Siena gets RPI #298, UAlbany gets RPI # 91. Now that's pretty good stuff.

Canisius( 210) at Coastal Carolina (266)

William & Mary ( 189) at Fairfield (259)

Iona(325) at Delaware ( 264)

Loyola (192.) at Tennessee State (225)

Manhattan(219) at Eastern Michigan ( 251)

Colgate ( 271) at Marist ( 129)

Liberty ( 299) at Niagara(229)

Murray State( 204) at Rider ( 182)

Saint Peter’s( 321) at Tennessee-Martin (315)

James Madison( 298) at Siena ( 130)

Don't forget who ESPN deemed worthy of TV. AGAIN. Second year in a row!

BTW, Siena has never been selected for a bracketbuster game in all the years they have been eligible.

Archived