UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Maine Postgame

Some interesting stats....

Maine came into the game shooting (in conference) 33% from three and 61% from the line

Last night they shot 67% from three and 86% from the line.

How about Junior Bernal entered the game shooting 6 of 20 from the foul line and he shot 8 of 10 against us.

I guess our lack of intensity at times puts teams in a nice relaxed comfort zone.

Maine is who we thought they were. They were on the ropes---and we let them off the hook.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
During the first half there really was nothing to cheer for....we came out flat and allowed Maine to shoot 71% from the field. What are people supposed to cheer for?

Sometimes the fans can help jump start the team a little but I wasn't there so I wouldn't know. Just thought it seemed very quiet in there and I figured the students would've helped out the cause.

I should also add Iati to my initial post. When our leading scorers are Lillis, Iati, Brent, we usually win. Just my hunch, not supported by any stats. From the TU blog:

"UAlbany seniors Brent Wilson and Jon Iati scored a combined four points on 1-of-12 shooting, including 0-for-9 from 3-point range."

Not to say Gifford should not have defended himself (It should have been a Double T --Owes punched him in the stomach as he was getting up) But--that 7 point turn really deflated the team. They never recovered after that. They seemed to get rolling until that moment killed the momentum

The fact that Maine had 36 free-throw attempts -- and made 31 of those attempts -- is pretty shocking! Almost 40% of their points came from free throws! We just can't give up 70+, let alone 80+, points on our home court (or for any game unless it's Duke).

When we keep teams to under 60 points, there is a very good chance we will win that game!

The fact that Maine had 36 free-throw attempts -- and made 31 of those attempts -- is pretty shocking! Almost 40% of their points came from free throws! We just can't give up 70+, let alone 80+, points on our home court (or for any game unless it's Duke).

When we keep teams to under 60 points, there is a very good chance we will win that game!

One only has to read the comments made by coach Brown to see what happened. He was perfectly candid in his remarks.....it jives exactly with what all of us saw last night.

I was at the game last night and i was the only one not chanting Gifford's name. Once i saw that he retaliated back I knew he was going to be T'd up which he was. Once they hit those 4 FT and canned a 3 I told the person sitting next to me that we are going to lose this game . Does anyone else think that it was a selfish move on his part because Brown definitely told his players many times that you should never retaliate and always keep your composure.

Very disappointing loss. More guys need to show up consistently, both offensively and defensively. We don't have enough firepower to rely on 2-3 guys to do all the scoring, and it seems (though I haven't checked the stats) that we're fouling quite a bit (even when you take out the end-of-game foulfest). On offense, I don't think we did a good job of getting down low--lots of movement on the perimeter. However, Andre from Maine is a big boy and was making it hard on anybody trying to post him up.

The crowd was decent with a good student turnout, but Bosiydid is right, there wasn't a whole lot to get very excited about.

On the Gifford technical, Owes had actually slammed Giff's head on the court while they were both down. That's why the usually reserved Giff flew off the handle. Normally it would be good to see him get fired up, but under that circumstance I don't think he was really in control of himself, hence his retaliation. Very cheap move by Owes.

Socoby played a great game for a guy who wears pantyhose under his shorts, I'll give him that. Looks like we're stuck playing him for another two years.

I sure hope we can figure things out soon. Maine looked way too loose and comfortable for the last 3/4 of the game.

S€

They were on the ropes---and we let them off the hook.

Boxing and fishing references in one sentence - I love mixed metaphors :D

To extend the second metaphor, maybe Giff should have given Owes the hook right back, if you know what I mean. Really, Giff was going to get T-d up anyway. Miight as well make the penalty worth it. :wacko:

Perhaps Coach Brown deserves a little of the blame here. He has been telling the team and the press several times lately that the team needs to toughen up. Brown just didn't expect Giff to do it exactly in the way he showed last night.

I see there was no followup article from the pre-game story in the Bangor News today online.

It would be interesting to see the Maine side of the incident and the aftermath.

I'd bet the BlackBears side is that they did nothing wrong, and benefitted from the UA (over) reaction :glare:

That's their story and they're sticking to it

With the lack of reaction from the team, I guess they don't give a rats zipper that the punk from maine slammed Gffords head and body to the floor. Instead of getting pumped, and instead of defending our boy, they cowarded like weaklings on the playground. They let Maine slam the ball down our throats. No fire in their guts? No feelings to smash Maine in the mouth and protect our boy GIf, and protect our home?

Maybe Gifford will take this as a learning experience, and decide to take OWNERSHIP of the paint from now on, instead of letting himself get pushed around. Anyone who enters the paint will pay the price. He's Big, he's got the touch, and he's got the strength..... to be the Terminator in the paint, if he wants to become a Man.

Regardless, after the Drama, we still had the lead. We had the option, take the damn game or let it be taken.

Maybe we are weak mentally. Or maybe we just don't give a schlitzer. Or maybe we are just mediocre at best. Or maybe we pussy foot around the court, and need to grow some hairy balls.

Iati and Wilson have been horribly inconsistent. What were the shooting numbers last night: 1 for 150 between the two?

If this is the performance we will be getting from these two, maybe they should be benched. I'd rather see Ambrose take over as scorer number two... and not have to feel uncomfortable taking the reigns when either Wilson or Iati are in the game. Don't get me wrong... Wilson and Iati will always be heroes in UAlbany history. But, there comes a time when decisions must be made. I'd be embarrassed to end my college career this way.

Connelly catches the ball on offense and stands on the perimeter... you can see it in his eyes that his intention is to only pass the ball. A few times he penetrates, drifting off the the side, and tries a sweeping layup hook. When the hell is he going to post up low and attack the basket? Or when is he going to catch and penetrate in the same motion? Why so tentative, why so nervous?

Maine's free throws were impressive. But, we lost the game due to a weak attitude, instead of blowing these guys out on our home court. No damn pride?

As I've stated before, every Ameria East team goes to the conference tournament. In reality, the conference standings only have two significances. The first: regular season conf champ gets home court if they make it to the finals. The second, if a team comes in 1-7 in the regular season standing, then they don't play on the Friday night prelimary round. Other than that, this regular season means diddly schlitzers. Maybe if only 4 teams made it to the conference tournament, then the regular season would mean something.

Other teams are in our face constantly when we are running our offense. We sit back and give them 4 or 5 feet when we play defense. Where's the pressure? Where's the aggressiveness? Where's the attack mentality? I only see it on occasion, and for short stints. And why do we resort to passing the ball around the perimeter, without even thinking about a low post, in the paint game? A good way to get a big guy out of the game, is to go low, and draw the damn fouls? But, we seldom go low. It's like little girlies scared of the dark. Are they afraid to go into the paint?

How many games have we had a significant lead, and then lost the game, this year?

Besides Duke and Siena and Iowa State..... did we had good leads in all of our games?

I was at the game last night and i was the only one not chanting Gifford's name. Once i saw that he retaliated back I knew he was going to be T'd up which he was. Once they hit those 4 FT and canned a 3 I told the person sitting next to me that we are going to lose this game . Does anyone else think that it was a selfish move on his part because Brown definitely told his players many times that you should never retaliate and always keep your composure.

I would say that if a player as mild-mannered as Gifford acts that way then something has provoked him. After discussing the play, a double technical is the least of what should have happened.

I for one gave Gifford a standing ovation. I supported his energy and decision even if it changed the momentum of the game.

When you saw selfishness I saw necessary self-defense. I just wish the rest of the team would have gotten energized.

The 2007-2008 Maine Black Bears: "Play Dirty and Hit Your Foul Shots"

With the lack of reaction from the team, I guess they don't give a rats zipper that the punk from maine slammed Gffords head and body to the floor. Instead of getting pumped, and instead of defending our boy, they cowarded like weaklings on the playground. They let Maine slam the ball down our throats. No fire in their guts? No feelings to smash Maine in the mouth and protect our boy GIf, and protect our home?

Maybe Gifford will take this as a learning experience, and decide to take OWNERSHIP of the paint from now on, instead of letting himself get pushed around. Anyone who enters the paint will pay the price. He's Big, he's got the touch, and he's got the strength..... to be the Terminator in the paint, if he wants to become a Man.

Regardless, after the Drama, we still had the lead. We had the option, take the damn game or let it be taken.

Maybe we are weak mentally. Or maybe we just don't give a schlitzer. Or maybe we are just mediocre at best. Or maybe we pussy foot around the court, and need to grow some hairy balls.

Iati and Wilson have been horribly inconsistent. What were the shooting numbers last night: 1 for 150 between the two?

If this is the performance we will be getting from these two, maybe they should be benched. I'd rather see Ambrose take over as scorer number two... and not have to feel uncomfortable taking the reigns when either Wilson or Iati are in the game. Don't get me wrong... Wilson and Iati will always be heroes in UAlbany history. But, there comes a time when decisions must be made. I'd be embarrassed to end my college career this way.

Connelly catches the ball on offense and stands on the perimeter... you can see it in his eyes that his intention is to only pass the ball. A few times he penetrates, drifting off the the side, and tries a sweeping layup hook. When the hell is he going to post up low and attack the basket? Or when is he going to catch and penetrate in the same motion? Why so tentative, why so nervous?

Maine's free throws were impressive. But, we lost the game due to a weak attitude, instead of blowing these guys out on our home court. No damn pride?

As I've stated before, every Ameria East team goes to the conference tournament. In reality, the conference standings only have two significances. The first: regular season conf champ gets home court if they make it to the finals. The second, if a team comes in 1-7 in the regular season standing, then they don't play on the Friday night prelimary round. Other than that, this regular season means diddly schlitzers. Maybe if only 4 teams made it to the conference tournament, then the regular season would mean something.

Other teams are in our face constantly when we are running our offense. We sit back and give them 4 or 5 feet when we play defense. Where's the pressure? Where's the aggressiveness? Where's the attack mentality? I only see it on occasion, and for short stints. And why do we resort to passing the ball around the perimeter, without even thinking about a low post, in the paint game? A good way to get a big guy out of the game, is to go low, and draw the damn fouls? But, we seldom go low. It's like little girlies scared of the dark. Are they afraid to go into the paint?

How many games have we had a significant lead, and then lost the game, this year?

Besides Duke and Siena and Iowa State..... did we had good leads in all of our games?

I believe there is another advantage to finishing first in the regular season. If you finish first but stumble in the tournament and lose, you get automatic bid to the NIT/Some New Tournament that is starting this year. Since it does not appear at this point that we can advance very far in the NCCA, maybe we would be better off in one of the lesser post season plays.

Archived