UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Jamar Wilson - New Team

This from Eurobasket via America Least:

Liege Transfer News

Jamar Wilson

by Peter Buyse - Jun 24, 2008

Liege Basket has signed American guard Jamar Wilson (185-G-84, college: Albany) for the coming season. It is the 4th player added to the 2008-2009 roster for Liege, others are Will Thomas, Larry Owens and Xavier Colette. Wilson who played for Verviers-Pepinster this past season averaged 17.6 ppg, 3.0 apg and 2.2 rpg. His 17.8 points ranked him 4th in the league. The 2007-2008 season was his first overseas after leaving Albany as 2 time conference player of the year.

If they are anything like their local soccer (futbol) team....they have $$$$$. Standard Liege is the toast of the Belgian First Division. Wonder if he hooks up with fellow American "Gooch." They would be a fun tandem to hit the town with.

he needs to get into a better league. Italy, Spain, Greece.

And run the risk of getting cut or let go by those teams. Maybe he will at some point, but I'm betting he is taking the safer bet and guaranteed money that he knows he will get. Teams in Greece have a penchant for not paying their players (ask Paul Shirley). He might make the move later in his career, and probably stands to make more money in those leagues, but think about it, Jamar probably makes six-figures (or at least 80-95k minimum) to play basketball for half the year and he is in a league where he is the 4th leading scorer and probably considered one of the better players there. If any of us had that opportunity, I'd don't think we'd be complaining that we don't play in Italy or Spain. He probably is one of the highest earners coming out of his graduating class...most of us are lucky to get 40k a year jobs out of college. Again, I don't think he is complaining.

Also, Dane96, Gooch might not be around come next year if someone ponies up around 4million to pry him away this transfer window, I tend to doubt it will happen, but who knows.

he needs to get into a better league. Italy, Spain, Greece.

And run the risk of getting cut or let go by those teams. Maybe he will at some point, but I'm betting he is taking the safer bet and guaranteed money that he knows he will get. Teams in Greece have a penchant for not paying their players (ask Paul Shirley). He might make the move later in his career, and probably stands to make more money in those leagues, but think about it, Jamar probably makes six-figures (or at least 80-95k minimum) to play basketball for half the year and he is in a league where he is the 4th leading scorer and probably considered one of the better players there. If any of us had that opportunity, I'd don't think we'd be complaining that we don't play in Italy or Spain. He probably is one of the highest earners coming out of his graduating class...most of us are lucky to get 40k a year jobs out of college. Again, I don't think he is complaining.

Also, Dane96, Gooch might not be around come next year if someone ponies up around 4million to pry him away this transfer window, I tend to doubt it will happen, but who knows.

I dont think Gooch will go anywhere because no one is going to pay him right now. He still disappears for stretches. Plus, he is playing Champions League football this year.

Also, I agree that Jamar should stay put. First, Liege is a nice city. Second, Belgium is amazing...great people and food. Third, he is probably receiving that money TAX FREE. Fourth, he probably gets transportation...and definitely gets his housing paid for and free medical care. Even if he is spending money...Jamar is banking 40-50k a year. I wish I could bank that much.

Hell...you bank that for 5-6 years...300k at the average of 9-11% interest....and Jamar will be a millionaire by an early age.

I also agree about Greece. I am an acquaintance of Jamal Thomas (both from high school and because we have the same PT person)- They definitely dont pay...and that is often.

If I am Jamar...I play in one of the smaller leagues until he is more wily and stronger...than move up for a 2-year 300-400k contract in one of the bigger leagues, that is if he is capable.

That, is how I would be advising the kid.

BTW: Look at Taylor C-- he is playing the Spanish Second Division now...so there are no guarantees.

BTW: Look at Taylor C-- he is playing the Spanish Second Division now...so there are no guarantees.

Looks like they just missed promotion into the first division too...only the top two get promoted, his team finished 3rd. Coppenrath hasn't been anywhere near the dominant player he was in college professionally though. Looks like injuries and lack of athleticism caught up to him.

If Jamar can have a career playing as long as guys like Tunji Awojobi, Joey Beard (BU) or Trevor Gaines (UVM) and banks what you said, he will be have a pretty penny to sit on for a long time. Those guys never played in the best of the best leagues, or did maybe for a season or two, but they always have a place to play and usually do well for themselves.

Archived