UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UAlbany Hockey

Ualbany Hockey

I agree with Patch, adding hockey should be WAY down the road if ever maybe 10 years talk about it depending on where we are with everything else. And if there is interest to add more sports. In the meantime we should be keep our eye on the ball.

- Build a stadium, and like Dane96 said DO NOT put a track around it. Thank goodness the plans that were made public do not appear to include a track.

- Renovate the RACC so that the facilities are more fan friendly, concession areas, bathrooms, chair back seating, scoreboard etc.

- Provide the needed facilities for baseball, track etc. I seem to remember some talk of bleachers needed for the lacrosse field.

- Get in a position to hand out the maximum amount of rides for football, I know we are currently at the maximum and that there is currently a limit but hopefully at some point that restriction will be lifted.

Tie up all the other lose ends and then start thinking about more sports. I guess I didn't really mean to suggest in my original post that we should do it. Perhaps we should but not at the expense of everything else that is going on and somewhat unfinished. If 10 years from now something changes, yeh look at it but lets tie up all of the lose ends out there.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure how many of you are aware that UAlbany has a hockey team so I thought I would post something on here about us. If you don't know about us its because we are a club team, however it is very competitive hockey. We have won our league championship 2 out of the last 3 years and have gone to nationals the last 2 years. Last year we made it all the way to the national championship before losing to Kennesaw State. Check us out at asuhockey.com. Here are some
from last year.

All home games are played at the Albany Academy Fieldhouse on Hacket Blvd. Come down and check out a game this year. The schedule and directions to the rink are on the website.

Welcome UAlbany Hockey. We have to beat Kennesaw State this year! There is no ice in Atlanta, how can they win? Go Danes!!!

Sure you have ice. The prospect of it has the guy who does Mega Millions go haywire with half a newscast full of ice-related doom and gloom :) .

Besides, I've gotten iced out of Hartsfield before due to their lack of preparation that canceled flights heading down there. A challenge between the two would work in a perfect club hockey world since I know Cobb County has a good number of community rinks. Of course, the Danes would win :D

Sure you have ice. The prospect of it has the guy who does Mega Millions go haywire with half a newscast full of ice-related doom and gloom :) .

Besides, I've gotten iced out of Hartsfield before due to their lack of preparation that canceled flights heading down there. A challenge between the two would work in a perfect club hockey world since I know Cobb County has a good number of community rinks. Of course, the Danes would win :D

I think ATL got a bad ice storm the last time it hosted the superbowl, no? Ice is more of a problem here than snow, although the last bad ice storm was when I moved here in 2004.

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder that the UAlbany hockey team is having their opening weekend this weekend at Albany Academy. Game times are as follows:

vs. University of Pittsburg-Johnstown, Friday @ 6pm

vs. Neumann College, Saturday @ 7:30pm

vs. Hofstra, Sunday @ 4pm

go to asuhockey.com for more info and directions to Albany Academy. UPJ and Hofstra should be great games. I don't know what to expect from Neumann College but that should be a decent game as well. There is no admission to home games. Hopefully we will see a few of you there.

Does Siena have a club hockey team?

EDIT: ok, if i had done 2 seconds of research first, i would have seen that they do. Thus my question becomes why don't the two schools play each other? Is there a vast difference in the quality of their respective leagues? It would seem logical that at a club level playing opponents that don't require travel would be desireable.

Does Siena have a club hockey team?

EDIT: ok, if i had done 2 seconds of research first, i would have seen that they do. Thus my question becomes why don't the two schools play each other? Is there a vast difference in the quality of their respective leagues? It would seem logical that at a club level playing opponents that don't require travel would be desireable.

Siena is in ACHA D2 and plays in a league called the Super East. Albany is in ACHA D3 and plays in the Metropolitan Collegiate Hockey Conference. The two were in the same league up until about 4 years ago when Albany dropped down because we were struggling. Albany was playing in the Super East and MCHC, but the Super East told us we had to decide which league we wanted play in. We chose the MCHC because we would be more competitive. It has been a couple of years since we have played Siena and its kind of a shame because I think our team the past 3 years (especially last year) would have been good enough to beat them and would have been very competitive in the Super East and D2.

Just a reminder that the UAlbany hockey team is having their opening weekend this weekend at Albany Academy. Game times are as follows:

vs. University of Pittsburg-Johnstown, Friday @ 6pm

vs. Neumann College, Saturday @ 7:30pm

vs. Hofstra, Sunday @ 4pm

go to asuhockey.com for more info and directions to Albany Academy. UPJ and Hofstra should be great games. I don't know what to expect from Neumann College but that should be a decent game as well. There is no admission to home games. Hopefully we will see a few of you there.

I am going to try to make Friday's game. Thanks for the reminder.

Albany got off to a good start this weekend with a 3 game sweep of their invitational tourny. They beat UPJ 5-3, Neumann 8-1 and Hofstra 3-1. Was anyone here able to make it to a game this past weekend?

Their next big home game is October 27th vs. Fairfield. This will be their biggest home game of the season. Albany beat Fairfield in the MCHC championship last year so Fairfield will be out for revenge. They are supposed to be a very good team this year, even better than last year. Should be a great game.

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to give an update on the UAlbany Hockey Team's season. As of yesterday the Danes have received their official invitation to the ACHA D3 National Tournament. They will be heading out to Rochester, Minnesota on March 12 as the number 2 seed from the Atlantic region. The tournament consists of the top 16 teams in the country, with 4 coming from each region.

Also, the Danes will likely be going into their league playoffs as the number 1 seed in Metropolitan Collegiate Hockey Conference (MCHC). The first round of the playoffs is going to be held at Albany Academy on February 23. The Danes are also going to be using this game for the Colin Griffith Memorial Hockey Game. Some of you may remember hearing about Colin when he died tragically while studying abroad in England a couple years ago. This will be the last year the Danes host this game, with the remaining team members that Colin played with graduating this spring. Here is some more info on the game: Colin Griffith Memorial Game

I just wanted to give an update on the UAlbany Hockey Team's season. As of yesterday the Danes have received their official invitation to the ACHA D3 National Tournament. They will be heading out to Rochester, Minnesota on March 12 as the number 2 seed from the Atlantic region. The tournament consists of the top 16 teams in the country, with 4 coming from each region.

Also, the Danes will likely be going into their league playoffs as the number 1 seed in Metropolitan Collegiate Hockey Conference (MCHC). The first round of the playoffs is going to be held at Albany Academy on February 23. The Danes are also going to be using this game for the Colin Griffith Memorial Hockey Game. Some of you may remember hearing about Colin when he died tragically while studying abroad in England a couple years ago. This will be the last year the Danes host this game, with the remaining team members that Colin played with graduating this spring. Here is some more info on the game: Colin Griffith Memorial Game

Why don't you move this over to "Winter Sports" and invite all the UA Hoops fans to come out for a night of UA Hockey for a great cause. There's no home basketball games that weekend so we'll need some Saturday night entertainment :D

• 4 weeks later...

Another update....unfortunately the Danes lost in the MCHC finals in a heartbreaker to SUNY Farmingdale by a score of 2-1 in OT. However, the boys are currently out in Rochester, MN for the ACHA D3 nationals playing for a national championship. Their first game is tomorrow at 1pm vs Saginaw Valley State Univeristy. I'll give updates when I hear them. Here is the tournament bracket: http://www.rochsports.org/hockey/2008achadiv3bracket.pdf

Archived