UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I was in B&N today and browsed through a couple of the national college FB magazines.

In Lindy's section on CAA, UAlbany is ranked 9th, followed by Elon, Maine, and Rhode Island. Stony Brook is 8th. The "review" of UA is only one line (same for all teams), a note about LB Julian Cox.

In Sporting News, UA is 10th, followed by Maine and RI. Elon is 9th, Delaware is 8th, and Stony Brook is 7th. The review is a little more informative, but nothing special.

In both magazines, the top 4 in CAA are Richmond, William & Mary, JMU, and UNH. We play 2 of those 4 -- Richmond, UNH.

I was in B&N today and browsed through a couple of the national college FB magazines.

In Lindy's section on CAA, UAlbany is ranked 9th, followed by Elon, Maine, and Rhode Island. Stony Brook is 8th. The "review" of UA is only one line (same for all teams), a note about LB Julian Cox.

In Sporting News, UA is 10th, followed by Maine and RI. Elon is 9th, Delaware is 8th, and Stony Brook is 7th. The review is a little more informative, but nothing special.

In both magazines, the top 4 in CAA are Richmond, William & Mary, JMU, and UNH. We play 2 of those 4 -- Richmond, UNH.

It's getting closer! When do training camps open?

• 1 month later...

I for one didn't expect UA to still be in the basement so many years after elevating to the CAA.

For 15 years I've enjoyed watching UA dominate... even beating CAA teams while still in the NEC. Now for the past 5 years we've struggled.

It seems we didn't get much of a bounce from the upgrade. We seemed to win more with less

• Like 1

I for one didn't expect UA to still be in the basement so many years after elevating to the CAA.

For 15 years I've enjoyed watching UA dominate... even beating CAA teams while still in the NEC. Now for the past 5 years we've struggled.

It seems we didn't get much of a bounce from the upgrade. We seemed to win more with less

Gattuso needs to win within the next 2 years or I think he's out. If we still win 3-4 games by the end of next year, I don't think he's still here.

I certainly hope we reach the point where we're in the mix for a playoff spot year in and year out..and hope it's sooner rather than later..but I'm not sure I understand the feeling that we've been in the basement for years now..especially the "past 5 years"???

2011: 8-4 (1-0 vs. CAA), FCS playoffs

2012: 9-2 (0-1 vs. CAA)

2013: 1-11, 0-8 CAA, Ford's last season

2014: 7-5, 3-5 CAA, ranked in top 25 multiple weeks, Gattuso's first season

2015: 3-8, 2-6 CAA

• Like 1

I certainly hope we reach the point where we're in the mix for a playoff spot year in and year out..and hope it's sooner rather than later..but I'm not sure I understand the feeling that we've been in the basement for years now..especially the "past 5 years"???

From my vantage point, I'm not seeing an influx of talent, last year was bad and I'm not sure how much better this year will be. Going the wrong way IMO. Still don't have talent, depth or a QB. Certainly there is some talent but my perception is we have a very shallow talent pool and have lost a lot of kids.

Gattuso's seat is bound to get warmer soon if he doesn't show progress. Going into the season the QB problem has still not been address...no QB, no wins. The current crop of QB's based on past results has been embarrassing. I mean, our starting QB is projected to be Crook again if I'm not mistaken. Is he the worst QB in the CAA...well...how you going to win with that when you don't have a lot of talent or depth anywhere else in the process magnifying his issues.

From my vantage point, I'm not seeing an influx of talent, last year was bad and I'm not sure how much better this year will be. Going the wrong way IMO. Still don't have talent, depth or a QB. Certainly there is some talent but my perception is we have a very shallow talent pool and have lost a lot of kids.

Gattuso's seat is bound to get warmer soon if he doesn't show progress. Going into the season the QB problem has still not been address...no QB, no wins. The current crop of QB's based on past results has been embarrassing. I mean, our starting QB is projected to be Crook again if I'm not mistaken. Is he the worst QB in the CAA...well...how you going to win with that when you don't have a lot of talent or depth anywhere else in the process magnifying his issues.

In Crooks defense, supposedly he got hurt in the Buffalo game in the season opener and played injured thereafter (shoulder injury). That was stated on this forum...so don't know if it's true or if it's someone blowing smoke like the guy in the stands who told us during the 2015 spring game (I think) that Crook would make Fiacchi look like a Pop Warner QB (memory is foggy but I believe the stranger was talking about Crook).

If that is the case, let's give him a game or two to see what a healthy Crook looks like.

Looks like we are picked only ahead of dreadful Rhode Island...hopefully one of these years the program gets better.

I too was hoping the invite to the CAA would generate some fireworks a little earlier.

I just watched the videos for the CAA Pre-Season Offensive and Defensive teams and the only time UA appeared was when they were on the opposite side of the field.

One potential bright spot: Looks like Gattuso got Abner Logan, a Maryland transfer, to come in and play his graduate year here. Guy was rated in the top 25 ILBs coming out of high school.

Of course I was also excited about the potential of the Madaras boys a couple of years ago but neither one played a down as a Great Dane, and both are gone.

• Like 1

Ok, 3 years. Feels like forever though.

And the 2014 results were with mostly Ford and staff's recruits.

I'm not going to hammer Gattuso and staff yet. Yes, last year was bad but it was the first full year with his players and many are young. Yes, they are trying to rebuild fast with transfers but that doesn't always work (see Crooks). I say they need two more seasons to develop their recruits and get to a respectable spot in the CAA standings. Who knows though, we may surprise this season. Never know.

Really, he was hired at the start of 2014.. so it's only been 2.5 years.

We haven't played this season yet, so I'll reserve my opinion until December.

Maybe we kick a lot of ass this year. Optimism boys, optimism.

He's got the pedigree and I think some more patience is in order considering the challenge of ramping up to full scholarships, new league etc. I just want to see some talent in the pipeline even as they learn how to win. I just want to see progress and right now, my impression is that we are regressing as a program with more resources than ever.

Everyone here knows at a key position we are in terrible shape and I don't see how it was addressed (QB). Let's see how the season plays out but that's on the HC.

Edited by Clickclack