UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Suero on Dominican Republic National Team

I hope he does not embarrass UA...I said when he left, he was no way ready for the pro's (at any level) and I have not seen anything that makes me want to change my mind.

He's on the freakin Dominican Republic's national team that missed this year's Olympics by one game!

And if you seriously don't think he's ready for the pros "at any level" then I'm not sure anything anybody says to you is going to affect your opinion of him. Not being drafted by an NBA team =/= not being able to play professionally at any level.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope he does not embarrass UA...I said when he left, he was no way ready for the pro's (at any level) and I have not seen anything that makes me want to change my mind.

He's on the freakin Dominican Republic's national team that missed this year's Olympics by one game!

And if you seriously don't think he's ready for the pros "at any level" then I'm not sure anything anybody says to you is going to affect your opinion of him. Not being drafted by an NBA team =/= not being able to play professionally at any level.

He barely played for a team that barely made the Olympics and a team that lost to Nigeria (a real power--YES). But I am NOT basing my position on these points; but on the fact that I saw him play more than 20 times this past year. I made my comments and formulated (as you say) my unchanging opinion not on his "olympic" experience but on what I saw at UA. I also did not say he would never play pro (even though I suspect strongly that he will never play in the nba), I only said another year at UA would have helped him A LOT.

He barely played for a team that barely made the Olympics and a team that lost to Nigeria (a real power--YES). But I am NOT basing my position on these points; but on the fact that I saw him play more than 20 times this past year. I made my comments and formulated (as you say) my unchanging opinion not on his "olympic" experience but on what I saw at UA. I also did not say he would never play pro (even though I suspect strongly that he will never play in the nba), I only said another year at UA would have helped him A LOT.

I'm not sure you actually read my post..or your own for that matter.

1) He did not make the Olympics. His team missed it by one game. 2) Is the 12th man on the US' national team going to be embarrassing his school because he 'barely' plays? 3) How many times have you seen the current Nigerian national team play? They're one of only 12 teams in the world that made this year's Olympics. 4) I never said you said he'd never play pro. I quoted your post saying that he "was no way ready for the pro's (at any level)." I pointed out that there's a HUGE difference between not being selected in the NBA draft (or even having a realistic future in the NBA..which I think most posters, including myself, would agree with) and not being ready for the pros "at any level." Do you know how many levels of pro ball there are? Look just down the street at the Albany Legends. Their roster has guys who were DI and DII role players. You don't think a top 10 DI scorer in the nation could play at that pro level?

I get that you're disappointed he left..I am too..but that's no reason to bash him and ignore the talent he has or the impressive year he had with UAlbany.

Edited by Phoenix

I'm not sure you actually read my post..or your own for that matter.

1) He did not make the Olympics. His team missed it by one game. 2) Is the 12th man on the US' national team going to be embarrassing his school because he 'barely' plays? 3) How many times have you seen the current Nigerian national team play? They're one of only 12 teams in the world that made this year's Olympics. 4) I never said you said he'd never play pro. I quoted your post saying that he "was no way ready for the pro's (at any level)." I pointed out that there's a HUGE difference between not being selected in the NBA draft (or even having a realistic future in the NBA..which I think most posters, including myself, would agree with) and not being ready for the pros "at any level." Do you know how many levels of pro ball there are? Look just down the street at the Albany Legends. Their roster has guys who were DI and DII role players. You don't think a top 10 DI scorer in the nation could play at that pro level?

I get that you're disappointed he left..I am too..but that's no reason to bash him and ignore the talent he has or the impressive year he had with UAlbany.

Phoenix, My intent is NOT to get in a pissing match with you, nor to bash Suero. But when I said "barely" made the Olympics I was being factious--I obviously know DR lost the qualifying game; and for being disappointed I said it when he announced and I am saying it still now, I am disappointed for the kid, not for UA and not for me. AS for levels of the pro's, I go way back to Patron games at the old Washington Armoury and have followed the exploits of UA players overseas; and in my opinion (you are certainly welcome to yours) another year at UA would really have helped Suero. I do not think this is bashing and anyone who saw him last year knows he is a talent, but also knows he has much game to work on.

Edited by dslyank

He was very talented, but reminded me of exceptional streetball talent... not nba talent.

If he worked on tweeking his game, learned from his college coaches, gained more experience at the higher levels,

he would have had a much better shot at the nba draft next year. Foolish move on his part. Afterall, he's not a Kentucky recruit, a one and done player.

Could he return to UA if both he and Brown wanted now?

Edited by uofalbany

Could he return to UA if both he and Brown wanted now?

He's already hired an agent so I don't think coming back is an option. The TU basketball blog has some quotes from him about tonight's game vs. USA. He says he's going to play professionally in Spain next year.