UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Chad O'Donnell Steps Down

Just going by twitter..it looks as though he has started his own recruiting company.

Good for him. Can't fault a person for trying to do what they love (and he's obviously been a big help in the recruiting side).

How does a 'recruiting' company work in the college ball game though? Is it similar to a head hunter where he will 'contract' with Brown and give Brown leads? Never heard of non-team staffer (of any school) recruiting kids.

Edited by Ilko

Have to think Coach Brown will have a pretty good group of applicants to pick from to fill the spot. Will be interesting to see if he promotes the current staff and then hires someone new towards the bottom of the totem pole or if he brings in someone to fill Coach O'Donnell's spot directly.

Best of luck to Coach O'Donnell in his new role. I always considered him the "nice guy" of our staff but now I'm remembering he's the one who went toe-to-toe with Broadhus after that one Bing game.

I agree with Phoenix about having a good group of applicants. It sounds like Coach Iati has been involved with recruiting, his name has come up with the recruitment of several of the juco players. We have a pretty young staff now made up of former players.

CB has a very young staff, I'm not sure how much if any of that should be a concern. Little talked about but very relevant, even more-so now is the presence of Donnie Bassets (sp?). He's been at this for decades, knows the game and is a huge asset I believe not only in grooming the players but also the young staff. It would be nice for CB to promote someone up and hire someone who is perhaps a more seasoned vet.

I guess that makes sense. The pool of available candidates would probably be limited right now. And my guess is that those already on a staff would see it as too late to move..given that we're essentially at the start of the new season.

In addition to recruiting..I believe O'Donnell was pretty strong at scouting the opponent. Will be interesting to see how they fill the void this season.

"With O’Donnell gone, Brown said he will not have an associate head coach on the staff. Jon Iati and Josh Pelletier are still assistant coaches and Jared Knotts also moves into an assistant’s role after serving as the director of basketball operations. Blake Metcalf, who was the video coordinator last year, will take on the job of director of basketball operations."

Edited by MsGDG

• 2 weeks later...

"With O’Donnell gone, Brown said he will not have an associate head coach on the staff. Jon Iati and Josh Pelletier are still assistant coaches and Jared Knotts also moves into an assistant’s role after serving as the director of basketball operations. Blake Metcalf, who was the video coordinator last year, will take on the job of director of basketball operations."

And Metcalf has left as well: http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesports/good-news-for-ualbany-charles-back-on-the-court/20616/

Brown also said Monday that assistant coach Blake Metcalf. who spent the last two seasons as video coordinator for the Danes, has left the program. Brown said that Metcalf, who played for the Danes from 2009-2013, has gotten a job outside of basketball.

“I think he was not sure if he wanted to coach anymore or not,” Brown said. “He had been looking for something through the summer.”

Brown didn’t waste any time replacing Metcalf. Simon Clement, who worked on the Danes staff as a graduate assistant coach for two years before spending last season working as an assistant coach under former UAlbany player and assistant coach Brent Wilson at Sullivan County Community College.