UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

NJIT - 11/19/14

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a non basketball player...For those who have played college basketball what is proper 3pt defense? I saw alot of hands it the face and people shooting over us the past few home games. What are we doing wrong in D or what can be done correctly?

Edited by MsGDG

Typically, you CAN make the shooters job tougher if you fight through the screen. However, if you fight too much you can get called for fouls which is (maybe?) why Brown doesn't have our guys do it that often? On the other hand, you could also get offensive fouls called on the screener if he's not set, etc.

When you go under the screen, you're a few steps away and by the time you recover the shooter has already locked and loaded his shot and is about to release. Even if it looks like the hand is in the face, by now muscle memory has kicked in and the eyes no longer really need to see the basket...they've already estimated how much power to put on the shot, etc. Good shooters can literally sometimes shoot with their eyes closed. Not saying we're playing players of that caliber, but if a kid can flat out shoot it...I wouldn't be surprised if he can get a few without really seeing the basket after his initial spot up. It's all on the follow through at that point (good spin on the ball, etc.)

We also have an issue with switches. We don't switch properly sometimes. Instead of switching when seeing a screen, sometimes we end up with two guys covering one guy leaving another one wide open.

I never played HS or college ball, but basketball has been my number 1 sport since I can remember. Before my back went out, I spent hours upon hours playing pickup at local parks.

Fighting over or slipping under can often be strategy against certain players/teams. If you know a guy/team doesn't shoot often or well..you might consciously slip under to prevent a drive and either force a shot or be content with one. Sometimes you get burned despite the "good" strategy..like when a 30% three-point shooting Holy Cross team team lights it up for 70%. Now if you start to consistently get beat..despite what might otherwise be a good decision..maybe that's when you start to change your strategy.

Fighting over or slipping under can often be strategy against certain players/teams. If you know a guy/team doesn't shoot often or well..you might consciously slip under to prevent a drive and either force a shot or be content with one. Sometimes you get burned despite the "good" strategy..like when a 30% three-point shooting Holy Cross team team lights it up for 70%. Now if you start to consistently get beat..despite what might otherwise be a good decision..maybe that's when you start to change your strategy.

In 100% agreement.