UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

America East Re...Ref...Officiating

Eli

I've had it. I was so mad after the SB game, even though we won in decent fashion, with the referee's that I went out and researched the guys who are on my 'crap list'. I've just simply had it. Every time I see these guys I roll my eyes and say, "here we go again". Enough is enough.

I don't care if this doesn't go anywhere, there is literally nothing to lose, but I created a change.org petition and linked it on the AE's facebook under a post.

1. John Hughes (this guy is so hated that he has to hide himself from the internet, almost no images can be found of him lol - come to think of it, this might not even be an image of him but of Tim Higgins who might as well look like him)
hwg2ub.jpg

2. Jeffrey Anderson
21l8xn9.jpg
3. Bob/Robert Adams
ay6nhl.jpg

4. Bill Laubenstein
293g7cw.jpg

Edited by Ilko

I've had it. I was so mad after the SB game, even though we won in decent fashion, with the referee's that I went out and researched the guys who are on my 'crap list'. I've just simply had it. Every time I see these guys I roll my eyes and say, "here we go again". Enough is enough.

I don't care if this doesn't go anywhere, there is literally nothing to lose, but I created a change.org petition and linked it on the AE's facebook under a post.

1. John Hughes (this guy is so hated that he has to hide himself from the internet, almost no images can be found of him lol - come to think of it, this might not even be an image of him but of Tim Higgins who might as well look like him)
hwg2ub.jpg

Here - screen shot from last night's game

John_Hughes.jpg

Hughes is known far and wide to be one of the $ienatiest officials around. Ask the Siena fan base how they feel about him.

or Vermont fans

• Like 1

Maybe you should identify the good referees too, you can't just say these guys suck get rid of them. And remember this is America East, if we had good young officials they'd move up to doing Big East and ACC games. Local officials Jim Burr and John and Dinny Cahill used to ref D-III games at University Gym, but not after they did NCAA Championship Games. BTW we thought the Cahills always tried to screw us because they went to (and Dinny played at) $iena. Burr was the ref that Bobby Knight famously threw a chair at. Syracuse hated John Cahill because he waved off a game-winning 3-pointer in a 6-overtime loss to UConn.

Maybe you should identify the good referees too, you can't just say these guys suck get rid of them. And remember this is America East, if we had good young officials they'd move up to doing Big East and ACC games. Local officials Jim Burr and John and Dinny Cahill used to ref D-III games at University Gym, but not after they did NCAA Championship Games. BTW we thought the Cahills always tried to screw us because they went to (and Dinny played at) $iena. Burr was the ref that Bobby Knight famously threw a chair at. Syracuse hated John Cahill because he waved off a game-winning 3-pointer in a 6-overtime loss to UConn.

We don't really notice the good refs because they do a good job of not being the focal point of games. Honestly, I can't even remember the faces of the other guys because they do a good job of making sure the game is good but at the same time don't give me a reason to memorize their face and dream of punching them in said face.

That's how it should be. No one should know ANY refs name, unless it's like Dick Bavetta or something. These guys that I can't stand are the Joey Crawfords (NBA ref who once gave Tim Duncan a technical for smiling on the bench) of the college ranks...looking for their 5 minutes of fame.

Not sure if this comment is better here or the SBU thread, but one other interaction I forgot about until someone brought it up on the AE message board.

What was the deal when the ref blew the whistle, then brought Rich and Warney together and held both of their hands? I've never seen a ref do something like that before.

Was it WB's comment getting Rich to be mean or what? I jokingly told my son that they were playing too rough with each other and the ref wanted them to kiss and make up.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was your joke. I'm sure refs are always telling players when they're getting close to the edge, to calm down or he'll start calling fouls on both of them. Issuing an informal warning as it were. Holding tempers in check is another part of keeping control of the game.

Not sure I would put Bob Adams in that category. I've seen him ref many UA games over many,many years and he has been quite fair for the most part. However, I would move Laubenstein into a tie for #1 with Hughes. They are by far the worst I have seen at any level, even far worse than any ref for the youth leagues I coached in.

Not sure if this comment is better here or the SBU thread, but one other interaction I forgot about until someone brought it up on the AE message board.

What was the deal when the ref blew the whistle, then brought Rich and Warney together and held both of their hands? I've never seen a ref do something like that before.

Was it WB's comment getting Rich to be mean or what? I jokingly told my son that they were playing too rough with each other and the ref wanted them to kiss and make up.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was your joke. I'm sure refs are always telling players when they're getting close to the edge, to calm down or he'll start calling fouls on both of them. Issuing an informal warning as it were. Holding tempers in check is another part of keeping control of the game.

I noticed this too. And actually, I think Hughes talked to them twice about it.

I didn't even think they were remotely chippy? I didn't see anything out of the ordinary from either team actually. Maybe Peters said something to Warney after he scored on him twice lol.

Might surprise to you find Hughes and other refs that I thought were just MAAC or AE refs, doing Big East and ACC games. I look at all the ref a for the big games and get so shocked when I see our refs, it's crazy. I still call them AAU refs regardless :)

• Like 1

Is Hughes among that group you refer to? Unbelievable, if so. But maybe all these refs get annoyed that they have to call AE games and not always ACC, etc., and they take it out on the players and the coaches. (BTW, I had to grin when Will go so upset after one of the -- many -- calls that he walked all the way to the end of the bench, went around to the back, walked almost to the scorer's table, and stood by the gatorade (or water) container and watched for a few seconds. I seriously thought he was going to go sit in the stands.)

• Like 1

On the flip side, I've actually thought bad officiating/bad calls have helped us at some home games. Fans who would otherwise sit on their hands will get and scream at the refs and in general get "fired us."

Hughes can be bad and there can't be another ref in the country that calls as many offensive fouls as he does. But everyone knows that going into the game what you're going to get. He probably won't ever make a travelling call, but will probably make double-digit offensive foul calls.

On the flip side, I've actually thought bad officiating/bad calls have helped us at some home games. Fans who would otherwise sit on their hands will get and scream at the refs and in general get "fired us."

Hughes can be bad and there can't be another ref in the country that calls as many offensive fouls as he does. But everyone knows that going into the game what you're going to get. He probably won't ever make a travelling call, but will probably make double-digit offensive foul calls.

Good point. During the UVM game I think it was Stire or maybe Rowley had a clean block under the basket in the second half but it was called a foul instead. A horrible call. The fans went absolutely nuts and everyone went crazy during the free throws and the UVM player made one of two. From then on out the place was crazy. Not that is wasn't before but it got a lot louder after that terrible call.

• Like 1