UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Losing a Big Man?

According to the very reputable Facebook, Yocum is considering to transfer. For those who are unfamilar with the Facebook, it's a site where college and highschool students create profiles (information about themselves) and can keep in contact with friends. The facebook allows other facebookers to write on each other's wall, which is a public post.

Yocum posted on his friend's wall: "I'm just tryin to get my life together." and "haha tryin to find a school too...im transferin." He also mentions he's thinking of going d2, possibly philly U, or looking d1 at NJIT or Colgate.

I realize the facebook is not an official truth; however and unfortunately, it usually is pretty accurate. Why would Yocum transfer? None of his messages suggest a reason. He sure will be missed if this is the case.

Why would Yocum transfer? None of his messages suggest a reason. He sure will be missed if this is the case.

Most obvious is he could be unhappy with his lack of playing time. "get my life together" could mean a lot of things.

Why would Yocum transfer? None of his messages suggest a reason. He sure will be missed if this is the case.

Most obvious is he could be unhappy with his lack of playing time. "get my life together" could mean a lot of things.

Academics?

Possible, but mention of D-II or NJIT suggests basketball-related. Academic problems wouldn't have him looking at Colgate. Philly U or NJIT also flag homesickness. Without more info we just don't know.

Could this be the other available scholarship we've been trying to figure out?

Hey guys I really don't think its a good idea to be quoting things on Facebook. I know its a public site but lets wait till a established outlet says that a player is transfering.

That's kind of what these message boards are for though, especially during the off-season. And I think GOD prefaced it fairly well, telling us where the info came from.

For what it's worth, I hear that him transfering is pretty much a done deal. I hope he changes his mind, but wish him well if he doesn't.

I hope that's not true. Yocum seemed very enthusiastic during games, always smiling and encouraging his teamates.

I too would hate to see him leave. And setting aside basketball for the moment, I'd place a degree from UAlbany over those other places anyday. Going to Colgate or NJIT or one of those other places would, IMHO, be a real step down on the academic ladder (save Colgate, however, if examining strictly undergraduate strength) in terms of what one's degree is viewed as nationally (remember, plenty of individuals knew of UAlbany and its graduate (and some undergraduate) school programs long before the basketball team made noise).

Wouldn't he have to sit out a year also?

Hey guys I really don't think its a good idea to be quoting things on Facebook. I know its a public site but lets wait till a established outlet says that a player is transfering.

That's kind of what these message boards are for though, especially during the off-season. And I think GOD prefaced it fairly well, telling us where the info came from.

For what it's worth, I hear that him transfering is pretty much a done deal. I hope he changes his mind, but wish him well if he doesn't.

I agree that GOD did a good job telling us where the info came from. However nothing official has been announced yet by the AD or unofficial by the media. I hope Yocum is just blowing off steam from a Freshman year where he didn't play much, and I think he could really develop into a solid player for us.

'Going to Colgate or NJIT or one of those other places would, IMHO, be a real step down on the academic ladder in terms of what one's degree is viewed as nationally (remember, plenty of individuals knew of UAlbany and its graduate (and some undergraduate) school programs long before the basketball team made noise).

Not so sure about Colgate

Wouldn't he have to sit out a year also?

Only if he went to another D-I. Not if he goes to a D-II

'Going to Colgate or NJIT or one of those other places would, IMHO, be a real step down on the academic ladder in terms of what one's degree is viewed as nationally (remember, plenty of individuals knew of UAlbany and its graduate (and some undergraduate) school programs long before the basketball team made noise).

Not so sure about Colgate

Good point; it is a very good school for undergraduate liberal arts studies. For liberal arts colleges, it is ranked #16 in the US News & World Reports 2007 rankings. See http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/d..._2701_brief.php

For information on UAlbany --- and UAlbany is ranked under the national universities category, whereas schools like Colgate and Siena are ranked under the "liberal arts colleges" category --- see here:

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/d..._2835_brief.php

I really hope we can crack the second tier (placing us, along with many of the other America East schools) in the top 127 national universities. Currently, we are deemed to reside in the 3rd tier, whereas I believe Hartford is the lowest-ranked school in the conference, currently dwelling in the 4th tier, http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/d..._1422_brief.php.

For those who are curious, Siena is currently ranked in the third tier for liberal arts colleges: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/d..._2816_brief.php

Sucks to see Siena absolutely dwarf us in the endowment category.

UA MA,

I appreciate your enthusiasm for public higher education, but in all fairness, Colgate is on a much higher level than UA in terms of selectivity, academic reputation, test scores of enrolled students, etc.

I wouldn't get too caught up in endowment numbers. UA and the other SUNY Centers didn't make any serious fundraising effort until the mid 1990s. Private colleges and land grant State Universities have had decades/centuries to build the endowment. One of the motivations for (finally) going Div.I in sports was to foster greater institutional pride, and a connection for alumni which can be used to raise $ for the endowment.

UA MA,

I appreciate your enthusiasm for public higher education, but in all fairness, Colgate is on a much higher level than UA in terms of selectivity, academic reputation, test scores of enrolled students, etc.

I wouldn't get too caught up in endowment numbers. UA and the other SUNY Centers didn't make any serious fundraising effort until the mid 1990s. Private colleges and land grant State Universities have had decades/centuries to build the endowment. One of the motivations for (finally) going Div.I in sports was to foster greater institutional pride, and a connection for alumni which can be used to raise $ for the endowment.

Big D, re: Colgate, yes, I agree with you. Perhaps my post was unclear. My post specifically stated: "[Colgate] . . . is a very good school for undergraduate liberal arts studies. For liberal arts colleges, it is ranked #16 in the US News & World Reports 2007 rankings. See http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/d...rief.php." (first emphasis supplied). I had referenced its #16 ranking to highlight it's quality. I think Yocum, if he is really intent on transferring, would be well served there.

Regarding my Colgate-UAlbany comparison, I think my point really went to graduate studies and UAlbany's graduate programs and their strength. I think I, perhaps too often, measure a school's strength as to its graduate studies and programs, but, of course, undergraduate studies and graduate studies are two different animals. Again, comparing many of these fine liberal arts schools to UAlbany is a little bit unfair to each side of the equation because while the liberal arts college may be superior in terms of undergraduate selectivity and strength, these same schools do not have the academic scholarship, grants, and overall research that goes on within our graduate programs. I am very proud of the graduate programs and research that goes on at UAlbany (in case no one had yet noticed!). I wish there was a publication or periodic newsletter on campus, and sent to alumni, that highlights research, scholarship, and recent publications within each department. Perhaps there already is such a publication? But back to the graduate-studies comparison, I have no idea whether Colgate, for example, has 3 doctoral programs ranked in the top 10 nationally, but I would bet that they do not.

With respect to the post previous to that one, I specifically excepted Colgate from my "academic ladder" statement after looking up some information and giving it some more thought: "(save Colgate, however, if examining strictly undergraduate strength)." So, I think we are in complete agreement again. Perhaps I could have written the statement with better clairty. I hope I cleared up the confusion! :)

Regarding the endowment numbers, you make an excellent point about why our numbers may be a bit low. I agree.

Archived