UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[FB] 2017 Season Review...where do we go from here?

Im not agreeing with some of the opinions above. UA going to the CAA was a big jump from where I sit. The overall size, speed, strength and athleticism in this league is superior to the NEC. We also need to remember that UA entered the league with a scholarship deficit, whereas SBU and Elon were already at FCS max.

You can look at it and say that GG turned a 1-11 team around to a 7 win team in one season (or 6 win leaving out the Miracle At BoFo). And they followed it up last year with another 7 win season. So theres been some success. I also dont agree that the recruiting has been terrible. Unfortunately a couple of talents left the program (Gontarak and Zee) and EB surely would have made a difference in these close games. Hoskins, Crockett, the Wynns, Jamal, etc, etc are all good players. Diggs...McDonald. Ok, QB has not panned out yet to our liking and there have been a few swings and misses on the O line that have left the team deficient in that area all year. Nothing like game experience to get better for 2018.

I think in the Delaware game someone on the UD defensive staff googled Pop Warner +Offense at halftime and figured out how to shut down our O and we had no answer.

I, for one, am not ready to toss GG under the bus, but if his future employment requires that our current OC remain in that position, then dump them both. Coach Clark and company are doing a good job and I hope they can hold on to him.

HOF2013...you must be part of the 1974 team. Enjoyed watching. I was a freshman in 1970 so Ive watched UA football since the beginning. I was there when DeBlois went over 1,000, for that 7-6 (I think) over Alfred, for the blowout over LCC at Bleeker. Lots of good memories.

Edited by jimbo

Im not agreeing with some of the opinions above. UA going to the CAA was a big jump from where I sit. The overall size, speed, strength and athleticism in this league is superior to the NEC. We also need to remember that UA entered the league with a scholarship deficit, whereas SBU and Elon were already at FCS max.

You can look at it and say that GG turned a 1-11 team around to a 7 win team in one season (or 6 win leaving out the Miracle At BoFo). And they followed it up last year with another 7 win season. So theres been some success. I also dont agree that the recruiting has been terrible. Unfortunately a couple of talents left the program (Gontarak and Zee) and EB surely would have made a difference in these close games. Hoskins, Crockett, the Wynns, Jamal, etc, etc are all good players. Diggs...McDonald. Ok, QB has not panned out yet to our liking and there have been a few swings and misses on the O line that have left the team deficient in that area all year. Nothing like game experience to get better for 2018.

I think in the Delaware game someone on the UD defensive staff googled Pop Warner +Offense at halftime and figured out how to shut down our O and we had no answer.

I, for one, am not ready to toss GG under the bus, but if his future employment requires that our current OC remain in that position, then dump them both. Coach Clark and company are doing a good job and I hope they can hold on to him.

HOF2013...you must be part of the 1974 team. Enjoyed watching. I was a freshman in 1970 so Ive watched UA football since the beginning. I was there when DeBlois went over 1,000, for that 7-6 (I think) over Alfred, for the blowout over LCC at Bleeker. Lots of good memories.

I want to ammend my earlier comment in that Coach Clark does not deserve the vitriol. His bunch is the only group doing anything. I stand behind the rest of my comment.

I want to amend my earlier comment in that Coach Clark does not deserve the vitriol. His bunch is the only group doing anything. I stand behind the rest of my comment.

Yes...I think we all need to be aware as it could be confusing:

Coach Bernard Clark (DC) = doin a helluva job

Coach Joe Bernard ('OC' with more than a decade of DC experience) = NO BUENO

Both contain the name Bernard but we need to remember which one is which.

Jimbo, My problem with your response {" UA going to the CAA was a big jump from where I sit"} is the word "big." Of course, the caa is a better league than the nec. But under Ford, even undermanned, under sized, a step slow, we ALWAYS competed. We won more than our share of these "UP" games and rarely if ever got blown out. I am not saying Gattuso is or should be Ford . But he was given the tools to make the "jump" to the caa {and I forgot to mention the ten million dollars}; and in my OPINION has not delivered. The move to the caa was/is a jump but certainly not a LEAP.

ps. I was a freshman in 1967 and also followed the team from the beginning including the the first club game and ALL the 'leaps" forward.

Jimbo, My problem with your response {" UA going to the CAA was a big jump from where I sit"} is the word "big." Of course, the caa is a better league than the nec. But under Ford, even undermanned, under sized, a step slow, we ALWAYS competed. We won more than our share of these "UP" games and rarely if ever got blown out. I am not saying Gattuso is or should be Ford . But he was given the tools to make the "jump" to the caa {and I forgot to mention the ten million dollars}; and in my OPINION has not delivered. The move to the caa was/is a jump but certainly not a LEAP.

ps. I was a freshman in 1967 and also followed the team from the beginning including the the first club game and ALL the 'leaps" forward.

The jump argument holds water in year 1, 2 or 3 in year four you've had 3+ recruiting cycles, redshirted kids to get them ready etc. Not only have they treaded water but they have completely collapsed as a program with nothing in the pipeline to suggest a turnaround is imminent. Gattuso was given a lot of resources and he's been given time to show he's the man for this job.

He's failed, this experiment has failed, he's a losing hand so walk away before he wastes more precious resources. Again, if they were still competitive, winning some games, looked like they had a future maybe you see if he turns it around. The reality is he has run this thing straight into the ground.

What's going to change at QB next year?

Our plan for next year is MORE freshman on the OL?

They are graduating some key kids on defense...there appears to be some defensive help in the pipeline to suggest they con't completely collapse as a unit.

They still have a complete ZERO as an OC...COMPLETE ZERO! A friend of Gattuso's who doesn't deserve to be employed as an OC and this has been clear for years now, yet Gattuso does NOTHING! So not only is there no QB but the guy drawing up plays is so clueless that whatever tiny ability there is in the said QB corps he can't find or tap into. I said it last summer and summer before. Gattuso will lose his job because he can't recruit and develop key positions. It remains true today.

This program is in full retreat...equally disturbing as the above is how Gattuso refuses to lay the blame at his own feet or that of his coaching staff.

Edited by Clickclack

Sorry but despite the awful year I cannot agree with some of the points you have made. There actually ARE guys in the pipeline. Two GREAT Offensive linemen who will clearly help a line with a year or maturation. if Hanks is back that will help the Offense. With a running back who goes north and south the passing game will improve. Of course a different QB is definitely needed. Others have freshman starting so why not us?? We have a good one coming in and who knows about Testeverde. Yes there will be losses on defense. There are good players who are redshirted on the defense too. We absolutely need a new Offensive coordinator NOW. Gatusso is NOT an offensive guy and play calling is terrible. Decisions that are made are not good. We'll see. Not saying Gatusso should go or stay but...............

It is not in full retreat.

Edited by HOF2013

I want to ammend my earlier comment in that Coach Clark does not deserve the vitriol. His bunch is the only group doing anything. I stand behind the rest of my comment.

Broke my thumb on the pile-up after that play!!!!!!!!

Ouch!!

Anyone have access to this article?

Why the Albany area has a different kind of football culture We don't have giant stadiums or big budgets, but fans say there's something special about college football here.

https://www.bizjournals.com/albany/news/2017/11/16/why-the-albany-area-has-a-different-kind-of.html?ana=fbk

Ouch!!

100% agree on your comments - well done