UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Soccer, Volleyball, Field Hockey

I haven't seen any practices. I'm looking forward to the coaches preditiction for the fall sports as there are several teams that look like they could have a very strong season.

The conference competeition for the soccer team is going to be pretty tough. College Soccer News ranked BingU #22 in the nation and listed UMBC (last year's regular season champ) as a team to watch.

My wife has come with an idea for a Fall Sports Challenge to try and see all the Fall Sports team play at least one game. I haven't looked through all the schedules to find which games to go to yet.

I would be surprised if the Field Hockey was any better than last year. Yes, they had some sensational freshmen, but the new coach was hired so late I doubt he recruited anyone decent. Maybe someone can explain why Fiore was let go in November and a new coach wasn't in place until March.

DaneMan....unfortunately the SUNY system requires the coaching position to be posted as a state job for X amount of days (I totally forgot the number, but I believe it is at least 60 days.) After that they pare down the candidates and interviewing takes at least a month. IT BASICALLY SUCKS!

It doesn't take four months. Someone dropped the ball. Even if you post the job for 30 days (into December), then interview for 30 days (to January), the new coach is in place in early February. 30 days to interview and pare down candidates is a long time.

That's not really how it works - as the applications are coming in, you're just waiting for the 30 days to start interviewing. You could really get it all done in a matter of 40 days. Not 120-ish days.

Who's going to make the drive up to Union and tell us how the season is going?

The preseason coaches picks for soccer were just announced. The coaches picked the women to finish 10th and the men 9th. The women's pick I can understand because of their difficulty last year although they'll certainly be better this year. I thought the men would be picked higher. They've been around the middle of the pack in the AE the last few years.

WOMEN'S SOCCER CHOSEN TENTH IN CONFERENCE PRESEASON POLL

Boston, Mass. – The University at Albany women’s soccer team is preparing for better things as second-year head coach Kalekeni Banda continues to upgrade the program in the 2004 season. The Great Danes were picked to finish tenth in the America East conference preseason poll. Defending champion Boston University was selected to win the conference.

UAlbany’s top returnee will be senior midfielder Sara Rickard (Otisville, N.Y.) who scored one goal and led the team in shots on goal. Senior forward Ashley Jurica (Fonda, N.Y.) returns to the lineup after missing the entire 2003 season with a knee injury. In 2002, she had nine points with three goals and three assists. UAlbany has 17 newcomers, highlighted by the addition of junior college transfer Jessica Insana (Warwick, R.I.), who was a member of the Community College of Rhode Island’s 2002 NJCAA National Championship Team. The Great Danes will look to improve on last year’s 0-9-0 record in the America East and 1-18-1 overall.

Banda’s Great Danes kickoff their 2004 season on Aug. 27 at Holy Cross in Worcester, Mass., with game time at 3 p.m. UAlbany begins its home portion of the schedule on Aug. 29 at 4 p.m. against Quinnipiac and starts America East play on Oct. 3, when the Great Danes host Stony Brook at 1 p.m.

America East Conference Women’s Soccer Coaches Poll – First Place Votes in Parenthesis

1. Boston University (9) 81, 2. Maine (1) 67, 3. New Hampshire 65, 4. Hartford 54, 5. Northeastern 51, 6. Stony Brook 37, 7. UMBC 36, 8. Binghamton 30, 9. Vermont 20, 10. Albany 9

MEN'S SOCCER PICKED NINTH IN AMERICA EAST COACHES POLL

Boston, Mass. – The University at Albany men’s soccer team is looking to return to the America East Conference Tournament after narrowly missing postseason play the past two years. The Great Danes were chosen ninth in the preseason poll in a vote of the conference head coaches. Defending America East champion Binghamton University was picked to finish first.

UAlbany’s top returnee will be senior defender Rodrigo Marion (La Paz, Bolivia), who made the second-team all-conference. He will help anchor a defense that allowed only 19 goals in 18 contests a year ago. Senior goalkeeper Bouna Coundoul (Bronx, N.Y.) had a 1.02 goals against average and 113 saves in 2003. Sophomore Yan Gbolo (Newburgh, N.Y.) tallied four goals and added one assist and senior Lucas Machado (Porto Alegre, Brazil) scored four goals. Each will be counted on to lead the way up front. Senior midfielder Savvas Theofilou (Nicosia, Cyprus), who had three goals and three assists, directs the midfield. The Great Danes, who return all 11 starters from a year ago, went 3-5-1 in the America East last season and 7-9-2 overall. The Great Danes missed the conference tournament by two points last season and lost out on a tiebreaker in 2002.

The Great Danes kickoff their 2004 season on Sept. 1 at home against Oneonta State, with game time at 4 p.m. UAlbany begins its America East portion of the schedule on Sept. 25 against the University of Maryland-Baltimore County at 1 p.m.

America East Conference Men’s Soccer Preseason Coaches Poll – First Place Votes in Parenthesis

1. Binghamton (6) 75, 2. UMBC (3) 72, 3. Boston University (1) 65, 4. Northeastern 57, 5. Hartford 55, 6. Stony Brook 36, 7. New Hampshire 25, 8. Maine 24, 9. Albany 22, 10. Vermont 19