UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

SUNY Buffalo

Yea for hoops games local awareness trumps state awareness. If were talking Fball I could see Albany fans traveling well (and WNY fans caring) but for Basketball we draw well for the Griffs and Purps. Same with the Bonnies...

I'd rather play Saint Bonaventure at home than UMass. Just because their fans travel well to Buffalo.

Yea for hoops games local awareness trumps state awareness. If were talking Fball I could see Albany fans traveling well (and WNY fans caring) but for Basketball we draw well for the Griffs and Purps. Same with the Bonnies...

I'd rather play Saint Bonaventure at home than UMass. Just because their fans travel well to Buffalo.

Fair enough, I don't think we'd outdraw St. Bona as they would certainly bring more people, same with Griff/Purps.

Like I said NU is pretty down right now and there is talk that *perhaps* they and Canisius are in death spirals. Right now though if you were *that* much better than them one player at home sick would not translate into a 20 point loss. As things go forward I could see you both permanently surpassing the MAAC schools in the Big4.

Like I said NU is pretty down right now and there is talk that *perhaps* they and Canisius are in death spirals. Right now though if you were *that* much better than them one player at home sick would not translate into a 20 point loss. As things go forward I could see you both permanently surpassing the MAAC schools in the Big4.

It wasn't one player...it was 3/5th's of the starting lineup being out or extremely sick (shouldn't have been playing).

No excuses, I know, but now I'll give an excuse. :) Our leading scorer was home sick and a number of other players had the flu or just finished having the flu and were in rough shape. If that game was played today with both healthy rosters albany wins by 20.

What you said regarding scheduling another OOC contest makes sense. You do have good rivalries with the schools you mentioned.

Regarding this season's UA contest versus Niagara, it was by far our worst outing of the season. Multiple players on our team had the flu. Every team's allowed a bad game every season. I'm quite sure you can think of a bad game UB had this year.

Buffalo lost to a 20 loss Ohio, we all have off games, or are you going to suggest they are better then you or equal?

What you said regarding scheduling another OOC contest makes sense. You do have good rivalries with the schools you mentioned.

Regarding this season's UA contest versus Niagara, it was by far our worst outing of the season. Multiple players on our team had the flu. Every team's allowed a bad game every season. I'm quite sure you can think of a bad game UB had this year.

It's not just NU. It's Quinnipiac, It's St. Francis and Holy Cross. Up until you hit AE play you were not winning a lot of games and you were losing to some really ugly teams.

At any rate I don't want it to look like I came here to crap on Albany. You and Stony Brook are doing a lot to try and drag the AE up in the world but right now it's an uphill fight.

My point was that the idea UB is "dodging" Albany or Stony Brook is a fairy tale. It's a matter of the opportunity cost involved in consuming OOC games with AE teams in NY State.

Edited by ubbullrun

With due respect, and I am really not trying to be snarky...so please don't take it that way.

This year you drew 2700 for a game against Niagara at home. You drew just over 1/2 capacity at St. Bonaventure. I get the Canisius game, and the attendance this year proves the proof of that game (over 7,000). Last year, you drew 4600 at home against St. Bonaventure, 4700 for Canisius, and 1900 at Niagara.

If anything the attendance (outside of the Canisius game) is indicative of the rise of the program rather than the rivalry aspect, as it is clear Hurley has the team on an upward trajectory.

However, I would almost guarantee that playing SBU, Albany and Bing would add a few thousand to those crowd numbers due to the simple fact that there are a ton of kids at Buffalo that have friends at each of the SUNY's...and it gives a perfect reason for more fans to show from UB...and for visits by their buds at the other SUNY's.

Just my .02.

Fair enough, I don't think we'd outdraw St. Bona as they would certainly bring more people, same with Griff/Purps.

Not true. If Season averages are to be used, (UB had only 90 more fans per game than us this year, and we don't include Siena in that number...but they include the game vs. Cansius in the Downtown Arena in theirs), they get less than average for Niagara at home, and 1000 more per game than average for St. Bonaventure.

No excuses, I know, but now I'll give an excuse. :) Our leading scorer was home sick and a number of other players had the flu or just finished having the flu and were in rough shape. If that game was played today with both healthy rosters albany wins by 20.

In fact, I think multiple players received IV bags that game...and another wasn't fully stricken until the next day. So it was much worse than Hooley home with the flu.