UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

SUNY Buffalo

I don't think it comes down to one loss (for any team), so that's just silly.

In terms of WNY "brand", those schools are probably equal to Albany, but that's beside the point.

Equal to Albany? Please open the Buffalo News or watch sports coverage and tell me who gets talked about more. Niagara or Albany..

My opinion is that Buffalo doesn't like to be 'peered' with other SUNY centers (notably SBU and Albany), so they avoid it.

Right we avoid it... That's why we have played Stony Brook twice in football and why we play Bingo in hoops..

Probably still smarting about being taken over by the state or something

"Taken over by the state"... Ummmm ok.

Actually, the quote is correct: The private University of Buffalo was in financial do-do, and went to the State for help. The State agreed to absorb the school, and merge it into the SUNY system.

But, let's not let the facts get in the way of your comment.

BTW, nice game against WVU. The SUNY's acquitted themselves well today.

Umm not so much. It was a growing healthy school with a ton of good programs and who's athletics were already bowl worthy. What UB did not have was the capitol to move to the next level as a research university. They traded their private status for an Amherst campus but the school could have stayed private and been fine.

"Also, worst conference in hoops? lol. Cause the MAC is sooooo amazing (mid-major conference just like us). #homer"

MAC was 10th in RPI with four or five teams below 100. AE was *29th* out of 33 in RPI with *1* team below 100. Yes the MAC is much better and deeper than the AE.

"Bingo is WNY? Even Syracuse (further west geographically than Bingo glancing quickly at Google maps) is not WNY. "

I said "More WNY" as in closer school where more kins from WNY go. Please don't put words in my mouth.

"Binghamton hasn't won more than 8 games (including OOC) since 2009-2010 when they won 13 overall."

And my sources in AD at the time said UB was in the process of setting up with Bingo in 2010.

"If it's about ticket sales, as you say, then why schedule BU?"

Because it's closer than Albany and more families in Erie and Niagara County send their kids to Bingo than to smAlbany.

Scheduling a 106RPI Stony Brook or a 96RPI Albany does nothing for us. I know when you're in a conference like the AE those games are rare but we played teams between below a 120 RPI 14 times in conference play. What UB needs to do is schedule more 25-75 teams out of conference and they won't be finding that in teh AE any time soon.

Why are you here? Didn't your team play in the ncaa yesterday? Certainly you can round up 3 of your closest ub fans and discuss the great season you had, no?

As for playing UA, not saying you are afraid but you've been approached, maybe not recent and you declined. So keep scheduling bing, it's an easy win. Don't sit here and say ub hasn't been approached, you want a date of the phone call? No most likely qualifier needed.

Now, 4 more trips and you'll catch up, don't forget who the most accomplished athletic department and basketball program is. Run along...

Edited by Clickclack

I don't think it comes down to one loss (for any team), so that's just silly.

In terms of WNY "brand", those schools are probably equal to Albany, but that's beside the point.

Equal to Albany? Please open the Buffalo News or watch sports coverage and tell me who gets talked about more. Niagara or Albany..

My opinion is that Buffalo doesn't like to be 'peered' with other SUNY centers (notably SBU and Albany), so they avoid it.

Right we avoid it... That's why we have played Stony Brook twice in football and why we play Bingo in hoops..

Probably still smarting about being taken over by the state or something

"Taken over by the state"... Ummmm ok.

Actually, the quote is correct: The private University of Buffalo was in financial do-do, and went to the State for help. The State agreed to absorb the school, and merge it into the SUNY system.

But, let's not let the facts get in the way of your comment.

BTW, nice game against WVU. The SUNY's acquitted themselves well today.

Umm not so much. It was a growing healthy school with a ton of good programs and who's athletics were already bowl worthy. What UB did not have was the capitol to move to the next level as a research university. They traded their private status for an Amherst campus but the school could have stayed private and been fine.

You know what, I was trying to be polite...but something like this pisses me off. FACT: Buffalo, as a private university, was at a financial fork in the road. It had ambitions to be a BROAD-BASED liberal arts university and increase its research university status, which by the way it already was with the medical school. However, and very publicly, Buffalo had financial issues with their own budget.

This isn't supposition, it is a flat out FACT.

Not only do most people who know what happened at UB know this...but so do you, Conrad.

And to compare football bowl eligible from the 50's, which by the way was 2 decades before Albany even had a program, is nonsense. And the Bowl Game that Buffalo played in 1958--the Tangerine Bowl--Albany also played versus Central Florida. An as an aside, I think what the '58 team did by NOT PLAYING in the game due to racism was more than just commendable, it was outright special.

But let's discuss these "Bowl" teams from Buffalo. Buffalo football had one 10 year period in the mid-50's to mid 60's where the team was somewhat "relevant". And during that time, Buffalo had 58 wins during that period, compared to 37 losses. Yeah, 5.8 wins vs. 3.7 losses is not something to be over the moon about when comparing two programs. UB football was not very successful in DIII or in FCS, so let's not go there either.

And let's get to All-Time Football records of this powerhouse known as UB football: .432 winning percentage. And that head-to-head versus Albany...

(Drops the mic).

Edited by Dane96

• 3 weeks later...

You know what, I was trying to be polite...but something like this pisses me off. FACT: Buffalo, as a private university, was at a financial fork in the road. It had ambitions to be a BROAD-BASED liberal arts university and increase its research university status, which by the way it already was with the medical school. However, and very publicly, Buffalo had financial issues with their own budget.

That's far different than your first characterization: "Buffalo was in financial do-do, and went to the State for help."

And it's in line with my characterization: "What UB did not have was the capitol to move to the next level as a research university. They traded their private status for an Amherst campus but the school could have stayed private and been fine."

Not only do most people who know what happened at UB know this...but so do you, Conrad.

I'm not Conrad.

"capital", not "capitol"

As long as the four SUNY centers keep beating each other up, they will keep each other down. There's no chance that one will allowed to 'break out' - there are too many alumni and too much wrapped up in local state politics for that to ever happen. They will all rise nicely together and the real "competition", for state and federal dollars and for students, is from the NY privates and surrounding states. Rutgers, UConn, Mass, UVM, UNH, Ohio, Penn State, BU, Northeastern, Syracuse, Fordham, etc....

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The cost of big time but not big $ Football, like the MAC, is men's wrestling and T&F, maybe baseball too.

Baseball should be gone now.....sorry guys I know that's an unpopular opinion, but baseball is a drain on the athletic department with very little intangible benefit to the university. We're never recreating the lightening strike that occured with SBU and the CWS.

I would much rather see those funds reallocated to football, baseketball and Lax.

Men's T&F is always a risk since Title IX, but our hiistory and success should keep it alive.

The cost of big time but not big $ Football, like the MAC, is men's wrestling and T&F, maybe baseball too.

Baseball should be gone now.....sorry guys I know that's an unpopular opinion, but baseball is a drain on the athletic department with very little intangible benefit to the university. We're never recreating the lightening strike that occured with SBU and the CWS.

I would much rather see those funds reallocated to football, baseketball and Lax.

Men's T&F is always a risk since Title IX, but our hiistory and success should keep it alive.

Agreed.