Photo

Gontarek Arrested & Suspended

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 UAFAN

UAFAN

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 02:50 PM

UAlbany football player suspended following on-campus arrest

The University at Albany announced today head football coach Greg Gattuso has immediately suspended sophomore wide receiver Josh Gontarek following his on-campus arrest by university police on Monday for unlawful possession of marijuana and evidence tampering.

“Josh Gontarek has been suspended indefinitely due to his arrest and alleged violation of NY State law and University at Albany athletic department and student conduct policies,” Gattuso said in a news release.

“We will continue to monitor and respect the legal process and take further action as warranted,” athletic director Mark Benson said.

Gontarek was the Colonial Athletic Association Offensive Rookie of the Year last season. He is second on the team with 16 receptions for 181 yards and two touchdowns this season.

Gontarek is the second UAlbany player to be arrested in the past year. Wide receiver Jordan Crockett of Fort Washington, Md. was charged last November with threatening to blow up the school on the social media app Yik Yak.

Crockett was suspended from the team. He is back with the Great Danes and has made three catches this season.

#2 UA'08

UA'08

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 03:00 PM

Peace. 

And wtf is Yik Yak. Damn I'm getting old.

Edited by UA'08, 29 September 2015 - 03:08 PM.

#3 Clickclack

Clickclack

BPF Bracket Challenge Winner

• Big Purple Fans
  • 10,545 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 03:53 PM

Terrible decision by the young man he will now pay the price for that decision

#4 GreatDanes06

GreatDanes06

Great Dane

• RACC Rowdy
  • 3,214 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 03:54 PM

so be it...gotta have high standards and realize you rep the entire purple and gold. You make a mistake, you pay for it...even if you have a world of talent.

QZcTc3.gifknLKdl.gif

#5 jimbo

jimbo

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 910 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:27 PM

Too bad. Hopefully he learns his lesson. As a long time fan I am pleased that the coach and athletic department enforce the rules regardless of who you are. Next man up!

Good thing we appear to be loaded at WR. 

#6 BestDaneSinceHamlet

BestDaneSinceHamlet

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 04:57 PM

Wow..we got a star player suspended.  It's a true mark of progress that we're almost like the P5 schools now!

#7 madDOG

madDOG

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:38 PM

damn shame...over pot no less. He should have been more responsible, no doubt about that, but what a silly thing to arrest someone for. a-hole campus cops.

#8 UA'08

UA'08

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:31 PM

damn shame...over pot no less. He should have been more responsible, no doubt about that, but what a silly thing to arrest someone for. a-hole campus cops.

Um no. Grontarek is the a-hole here.

#9 Eli

Eli

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:34 PM

1) I'm 28 and have no idea what Yik Yak is, so don't feel bad UA'08. And I work in the IT sector lol.

2) This is dumb. I've never smoked pot in my entire life but this stupid country should just legalize it and tax the living crap out of it. It's no worse/better than alcohol (which I also do not consume in any quantity). You can make the claim that he's too young even if it was legal, but this is a dumb thing to screw/tarnish someones college/scholastic career over and worse yet have it on a record that follows them forever. Colorado hasn't gone insane since legalizing it and I have a hunch that much of society already uses it recreationally anyway (when I was in HS, many kids did).

Edited by Ilko, 29 September 2015 - 06:36 PM.

GO DANES!!!

#10 DanesRGood

DanesRGood

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 2,974 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:38 PM

Weed should be legal already.............  BUT until it is you have to be smart.  Too bad.  Hope he learns form it and moves on.

• Eli likes this

#11 UA'08

UA'08

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:44 PM

Agree it should be legalized as well, but rules are rules. You have to follow them or at least be smart about it. What it sounds like from reading the article, he was busted wth possession. This would mean he did something stupid, which lead to cops, and then lead to them finding him with pot
  • Eli likes this

#12 UAlbany09

UAlbany09

Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 06:51 PM

It would be interesting to see what the circumstances of the arrest were. Unlawful possession of marijuana is not considered a crime, but a civil violation in this state. The evidence tampering sounds like the more serious allegation.

#13 uofalbany

uofalbany

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:30 PM

I agree, he is a dumb $iena.

UA Class of '93

599489_235629683226336_1094172808_n+(2).

#14 madDOG

madDOG

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 07:43 PM

I stand by my statement. Arresting a kid and potentially ruining his life over pot is bull$iena. Cops could have exercised some discretion in the matter.

Using pot should be treated like a traffic offense. Pay a large fine so you dont do it again. End of story.

Edited by madDOG, 29 September 2015 - 07:45 PM.

#15 UA'08

UA'08

Great Dane

• Big Purple Fans
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 08:20 PM

I stand by my statement. Arresting a kid and potentially ruining his life over pot is bull$iena. Cops could have exercised some discretion in the matter.

Using pot should be treated like a traffic offense. Pay a large fine so you dont do it again. End of story.
It's a 'banned' substance in the NCAA and is ilegal in NY. More importantly he broke the UA conduct policy. I am 10000% in favor of legalizing as well. These drug tests that the NCAA give are fugazy anyway and many student athletes still smoke weed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users