UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• 2 weeks later...

Here they are:

UALBANY FOOTBALL RECEIVES COMMITMENTS FROM 33 STUDENT-ATHLETES

Albany, N.Y. – University at Albany head football coach Bob Ford announced on Tuesday, June 7 that 33 student-athletes have committed to play for the Great Danes in the fall of 2005. The Great Danes, who finished third in the Northeast Conference standings last year, begin their schedule against Atlantic 10 Conference opponent Hofstra on Saturday, Sept. 10.

"We needed to address our running back situation," said Ford, who has 205 career wins at the college level and has guided the UAlbany program to a pair of NEC titles. "Each player has speed with the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. On defense, we were able to bring in some solid linebackers and several good linemen who could help us immediately. It's a big class in terms of numbers and we met the needs of our program with this group. "

The 2005 class is comprised of 17 players from the state of New York, plus 10 from New Jersey, two from Pennsylvania, and one each from North Carolina, Connecticut, Texas and New Hampshire. The breakdown by position includes two quarterbacks, four offensive linemen, three wide receivers, five running backs, one tight end, six linebackers, six defensive linemen, four defensive backs and two kickers.

The Great Danes landed several talented offensive players, especially at the running back position. Marcus Allen, a transfer from Valley Forge Military College, was named the Seaboard Conference Offensive Player of the Year. He rushed for a combined 1,777 yards and 15 touchdowns in his two years with the program. Stephon Cooper earned New Jersey All-State Group I recognition after rushing for 1,351 yards and 12 TDs last season. Northern New Jersey quarterback Vinny Esposito passed for 2,700 yards and 28 touchdowns, and was selected to the Associated Press all-state first team. Marcus Miles, an All-Onondaga League tight end in Central New York, caught 26 passes for 352 yards as a senior.

Jason Gagnon, a 6-foot-1, 305-pound defensive tackle from Manchester, N.H., leads a group of incoming defenders. Gagnon was chosen to the all-state Division I first team three consecutive years. Erie Community College transfer Ben Bayer (6-2, 215) totaled 98 tackles, seven sacks and three interceptions last season.

UAlbany also picked up three all-area players from the Capital Region. Kevin Richards was a member of the Class AA all-state second team as selected by the New York Sportswriters Association. Richards, a 6-foot-2, 285-pound offensive lineman from Shenendehowa High, also earned Albany Times Union first-team All-Area honors. David McCarty, of LaSalle Institute, rushed for 2,828 yards and 29 touchdowns during his scholastic career, and was a Troy Record first-team All-Area selection. Troy's Dave Casale made 76 tackles and eight interceptions as a consensus all-area defensive back.

2005 University at Albany Football Newcomers

Name, Pos., Ht., Wt., Hometown (High School)

Marcus Allen*, TB, 5-11, 194, Fayetteville, N.C. (Seventy-First)

Eric Althardt, PK/P, 5-7, 160, Allegany, N.Y. (Allegany-Limestone)

Ben Amorese, OG, 6-3, 280, Endwell, N.Y. (Maine-Endwell)

Rudy Armstrong, OLB, 6-0, 195, Bronx, N.Y. (Byram Hills)

Ben Bayer^, LB, 6-2, 215, Clarence, N.Y. (Clarence Central)

John Boyd, OT, 6-4, 280, Orchard Park, N.Y. (Orchard Park)

Mike Burke, DE, 6-5, 230, Clarks Summit, Pa. (Scranton Prep)

Dave Casale, FS, 6-1, 175, Troy, N.Y. (Troy)

Stephon Cooper, TB, 5-9, 185, Metuchen, N.J. (Metuchen)

Anthony Cortina, SE, 6-0, 205, Hamilton, N.J. (Steinert)

Paul Cynewski, DE, 6-3, 235, Moorestown, N.J. (Moorestown)

Vinny Esposito, QB, 6-1, 205, Demarest, N.J. (Northern Valley Regional)

Jason Gagnon, DT, 6-1, 305, Manchester, N.H. (Manchester Memorial)

Jamel Gray, FB, 5-9, 225, Yonkers, N.Y. (Mount St. Michael Academy)

Richie Guillod, FL, 5-9, 180, Closter, N.J. (Northern Valley Demarest)

Jean Juste, CB, 5-11, 167, Hempstead, N.Y. (Uniondale)

Chris Kenneally, RB, 6-0, 220, Harrington Park, N.J. (Northern Valley Regional)

Emerson Kinsey, OLB, 6-0, 193, Syracuse, N.Y. (Henninger)

Nick Krajacic, LB, 6-0, 220, Farmington, N.Y. (Victor Central)

David Kropilak, QB, 6-1, 170, Rochelle Park, N.J. (Hackensack)

David McCarty, TB, 6-0, 172, Gansevoort, N.Y. (LaSalle Institute)

Seamus McLaughlin++, DE, 6-2, 255, Wethersfield, Conn. (Wethersfield)

Marcus Miles, TE, 6-3, 215, Watertown, N.Y. (Watertown)

Nicholas Parker, DE, 6-3, 240, Northport, N.Y. (Northport)

Kevin Richards, C, 6-2, 285, Clifton Park, N.Y. (Shenendehowa)

Anthony Rogers, CB, 6-1, 175, Brockport, N.Y. (Brockport)

Tony Sparano, DE, 5-11, 231, Colleyville, Texas (Grapevine)

Apollo Story+, SE, 6-2, 198, North Babylon, N.Y (North Babylon)

Steve Talarico#, OG, 6-2, 295, Peckville, Pa. (Bishop O'Hara)

Adam Tanalski+, PK, 5-9, 183, Bellerose Village, N.Y. (St. Francis Prep)

Kevin Wagner, ROV, 5-11, 195, Howell, N.J. (Freehold Township)

Dave West, OLB, 5-10, 190, Toms River, N.J. (Toms River North)

Cleon Wilson, CB, 6-0, 165, Lakewood, N.J. (Lakewood)

*Valley Forge Military College transfer

+Nassau Community College transfer

^Erie Community College transfer

++Dean Junior College

#Lackawanna College

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!!!! This is f----ing an outright scary class!!!!! Don't tell me we aren't going full scholarship and SOON!!! Look at all those JUCO transfers!

We will win the NEC outright because this rb Marcus Allen, any relation to tTHE MARCUS ALLEN? will own the confrence( he is every bit as good as Gary Jones and is faster...how we got him and not Furman or Appalachian State is beyond me!) and the D is loaded and we have a great stable of qb's to work with!

Ruler,

I think I counted 7 JUCO players. How do you get good quick???? GET JUCO players. It looks like they got a few studs the normal way as well. The qb from Jersey is an all state kid. The DT from New Hampshire 6-1 and 305...be tough to run on him! (He will START immediatly as will most of the JUCO transfers) was looked at heavily by the University of New Hampshire. Turns out his HS coach was a Bob Ford coaching product.

I feel for Bocanegra and Banach at QB, with Hall and the new kid from Jersey...they may never see the field in their time in Albany!

I agree, Albany SHOULD(and we all know what that means)win its confrence games. BTW the RB from North Carolin ( I believe a military school) is from a football POWER and has like 20 NFL players from it. Tad Kornegay the stud from Fordham last season is from this school.

I have no idea how we got him???? Just glad we did!

I dont ever remember a cut policy at Albany. Unless this is a IAA thing.

This class looks good. I think we shouldnt worry about Boncegera...it will be a battle between Hall, Boncerega and last years big frosh. The QB from Jersey will probably red shirt.

I didn't even really look at the incoming Frosh. I just can't believe how many JUCO players have come in. That says alot. There is no way in hell these kids are paying their own way. I realize some of them are not 1A material but the DT, RB from Military school, and the WR from Nassau are supposed to be the real deal!

Ford has been "cutting" people for a few springs now. The cutting is sort of a misnomer as he usually tells people they can come back if they want to be on the "look team". This leads to kids cutting themselves by not returning.